[talk.politics.misc] animal research

skellyjp@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (James P Skelly) (01/31/89)

In article <221@anselm.UUCP>, sperry@anselm.UUCP (MALF) writes:
>     Using animals for scientific research is completely unnecessary and
> cruel to the animals.  With todays technology we do not need to use
> animals for the research.  The tests done have been done at least 100
> times allready.

This is wrong.  There is no substitute for the use of animals in medical
research nor is animal research cruel to the animals.  Except in
rare cases animals are given all the care that pets would get
when they go to a vet.  Since so many people seem to be unaware of how
animal research has benefitted medical practice, including veterinary
medicine, I've included some information.

The following is taken from the pamphlet "What if - There were no animal
research?" put out by the Foundation For Biomedical Research.

-Polio would kill or cripple thousands of unvaccinated children and
adults this year.

-7,500 newborns who develop jaundice each year would develop cerebral
palsy, now preventable through phototherepy

-Most of the nations 500,000 insulin-dependent diabetics wouldn't be
insulin dependent. They would be dead.

-Many of the 200,000 individuals who benefitted from coronary bypass
surgery in 1984 would never have seen 1985.

-The U.S. would experience 1.5 million cases of rubella....over 400
times the current annual incidence of the disease.

-50 million Americans would be at risk from heart attack, stroke or
kidney failure for lack of medication to control their high blood
pressure.

-The 100,000 arthritics who each year receive hip replacements would be
confined to wheelchairs.

-Without cataract surgery, more than a million people would lose their
vision in at least one eye.

-Death would be a certainty for the 7,500 desparately ill patients who
receive kidney transplants each year.

-There would be no kidney dialysis to extend the lives of thousands more
victims of end-stage renal disease.

-Without chemotherapy, doctors would not be able to save the children
who now survive acute lymphocytic leukemia.

-Hundreds of thousands of people disabled by strokes and head injuries
would not benefit from rehabilitation techniques developed in animals.

amlovell@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Anthony M Lovell) (01/31/89)

In article <5963@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, skellyjp@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (James P Skelly) writes:
> The following is taken from the pamphlet "What if - There were no animal
> research?" put out by the Foundation For Biomedical Research.

[examples of ruinous mayhem deleted ]

  If we let those animals off the hook on this one, what will they ask
for next?  And next the plants will get all these ideas about how
they're equal.  I caught an animal rights activist trying to get my dog
to sign a petition the other day.  And my rabbits Starsky and Hutch just
happen to think they look GOOD in Maybelline mascara.  They might want
to pursue a career modelling cosmetics products and I'm gonna have to
tell them they CAN'T because some pansy animal lobby says it's
IMMORAL?!?

--
amlovell@phoenix.princeton.edu     ...since 1963.
"But who am *I* going to kill?" .. 7 year-old Paul deMarcellus, upon

morimoto@intvax.UUCP (Alan Morimoto) (01/31/89)

From article <5963@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, by skellyjp@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (James P Skelly):
> In article <221@anselm.UUCP>, sperry@anselm.UUCP (MALF) writes:
>>     Using animals for scientific research is completely unnecessary and
>> cruel to the animals.  With todays technology we do not need to use
>> animals for the research.  The tests done have been done at least 100
>> times allready.
>
> This is wrong.  There is no substitute for the use of animals in medical
> research nor is animal research cruel to the animals.  Except in
> rare cases animals are given all the care that pets would get
> when they go to a vet.  Since so many people seem to be unaware of how
> animal research has benefitted medical practice, including veterinary
> medicine, I've included some information.
[ Information Deleted}

Let's take a hypothetical situation here.  Looking at all of the numbers
given in the examples, you can see that there are millions if not billions
of people out there that would not be alive today if it were not for medical
research and developments in new pharmaceuticals.  Yet what do we accomplish
by all of this.  We end up with a lot of sick people that would not survive
without medical help.

So, if there were a major disaster that restricted medical professionals to
treating those who were injured, i.e. a war, then we would have a lot of
dying people out there, dying from cronic illnesses.  My point is that maybe
we need to look at what long term effects we are creating by breeding
diseases into our future generations.  I can imagine that countries that are
not as medically advanced inherit a stronger gene pool of people simply
because the weak will perish.  Will the future of the world be inherited by
us, the medically pampered, or the third world?

Alan
--
		{	Humans are the only animals that       }
		{	don't breed to improve the species.    }

			--Alan

michaelm@vax.3Com.Com (Michael McNeil) (02/01/89)

}
}So, if there were a major disaster that restricted medical professionals to
}treating those who were injured, i.e. a war, then we would have a lot of
}dying people out there, dying from cronic illnesses.  My point is that maybe
}we need to look at what long term effects we are creating by breeding
}diseases into our future generations.  I can imagine that countries that are
}not as medically advanced inherit a stronger gene pool of people simply
}because the weak will perish.  Will the future of the world be inherited by
}us, the medically pampered, or the third world?

This might be a valid fear -- if medical and biological advances were
to halt and freeze at current techology.  Perhaps this scenario would
happen if animal research were stopped altogether.  Assuming, however,
that all research *doesn't* suddenly cease -- then long, *long* before
degeneration of the gene pool can significantly take place (i.e., a few
centuries from now), we'll have the capability to correct deleterious
genes.  As long as science continues to advance, the problem is moot.

--
Michael McNeil			michaelm@3comvax.UUCP
3Com Corporation		hplabs!oliveb!3comvax!michaelm

	We are at present almost completely ignorant of biology,
	a fact which often escapes the notice of biologists, and
	renders them too presumptuous in their estimates of the
	present position of their science, too modest in their
	claims for the future.
		J. B. S. Haldane, *Daedalus, or Science and the
		Future*, 1924

wbt@cbnews.ATT.COM (William B. Thacker) (02/01/89)

In article <674@intvax.UUCP> morimoto@intvax.UUCP (Alan Morimoto) writes:

>So, if there were a major disaster that restricted medical professionals to
>treating those who were injured, i.e. a war, then we would have a lot of
>dying people out there, dying from cronic illnesses.  My point is that maybe
>we need to look at what long term effects we are creating by breeding
>diseases into our future generations.  I can imagine that countries that are
>not as medically advanced inherit a stronger gene pool of people simply
>because the weak will perish.  Will the future of the world be inherited by
>us, the medically pampered, or the third world?

It seems to me that this is just part of the human ability to modify
our environment.

Wouldn't the same point apply to primitive homo sapiens ?  By choosing to
live in caves, and use tools and weapons, and cook food, our ancestors
allowed those weaklings with low tolerance to exposure, lower physical
strength and endurance, and higher susceptiblity to worms, etc, to survive.
The history of human progress has been a constant move to improve our own
lot, and make our lives easier and longer.

And I certainly can see no value in the argument that there's no point in
saving lives now because of the possibility they might be lost in the
future.  (although I don't think Mr. Morimoto meant to imply that)

------------------------------ valuable coupon -------------------------------
Bill Thacker						att!cbnews!wbt
	"C" combines the power of assembly language with the
	 flexibility of assembly language.
Disclaimer: Farg 'em if they can't take a joke !
------------------------------- clip and save --------------------------------

ayermish@asylum.SF.CA.US (Aimee Yermish) (02/01/89)

In article <674@intvax.UUCP> morimoto@intvax.UUCP (Alan Morimoto) writes:
>  My point is that maybe
>we need to look at what long term effects we are creating by breeding
>diseases into our future generations.  I can imagine that countries that are
>not as medically advanced inherit a stronger gene pool of people simply
>because the weak will perish.  Will the future of the world be inherited by
>us, the medically pampered, or the third world?

I am afraid I don't know what you're talking about.  When I got
vaccinated against polio, I was given a substance that forced my body
to develop a lifelong immunity to polio.  Because of the way the
immune system works, this immunity can not be passed to my children
(except for passive maternal antibodies should I breast feed -- this
immunity lasts a couple years at best), so they too will have to be
vaccinated against this and a small host of other diseases.  There is
no breeding for weakness there.

If you're referring to the general concept that "less fit" people who
would die of childhood diseases are able (due to the miracles of
modern medicine) to survive to reproduce, hence breeding their
worthless and weak genes into future generations, all I can say is
that you are vastly oversimplifying things.  What about diseases that
kill people after they have successfully reproduced?  What about
childhood diseases that are not normally fatal in themselves but can
have serious sequelae later in life?  And, of course, what about
diseases that don't impair the ability of the afflicted to survive to
reproduce (like, say, oral herpes)?

Another problem with the "natural selection says sick folks should
die" argument is that the environment can change for us much more
rapidly than evolution can deal with.  Remember, your average
Galapagos finch species lives for millenia on a little island where
the seasons don't change much, the other creatures don't change much,
the food doesn't change much, etc.  Over that extremely large number
of generations, those finches get a chance to try out and select for
or against a large number of mutations.  Because the environment is
relatively stable, or at worst changes only gradually, the same kinds
of things are likely to be selected for over many generations.  If
every five years, the bugs and the seeds changed size, say, then their
beaks wouldn't get a chance to evolve to an optimal size and shape.
Now, we people change our environment.  We move around, we build
things, etc.  What is advantageous in one environment may be dangerous
in another.  The best example I can think of offhand deals with
sickle-cell anemia.  It's a genetic disease in which hemoglobin (the
protein in your blood that binds oxygen) has a mistake, so under
certain conditions, the red blood cells shrink up into these little
sickle shapes.  It's not really a terrible disease, as long as you're
not homozygous for it, but then again, it's not a good one either.
The odd thing about it is that being heterozygous for sickle-cell
anemia gives you a certain resistance to an infectious disease,
malaria.  Malaria is an acute illness and can kill you.  In parts of
Africa where malaria ran rampant because the environment was warm and
damp enough to support the mosquitoes that carry malaria, surprise,
surprise, sickle-cell anemia was selected for.  When those folks moved
to cooler climates or learned how to make mosquito netting or
whatever, malaria was no longer such a danger.  But they still had
sickle-cell anemia, and still passed it on to their offspring.
Whoops.

--Aimee

--
Aimee Yermish				ayermish@asylum.sf.ca.us
Program in Cancer Biology		ayermish@portia.stanford.edu

scj@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG (Scotian) (02/02/89)

Alan Morimoto writes:
|We end up with a lot of sick people that would not survive
|without medical help.  [..] I can imagine that countries that are
|not as medically advanced inherit a stronger gene pool of people simply
|because the weak will perish.  Will the future of the world be inherited by
|us, the medically pampered, or the third world?

I have come to the same conclusion when pondering the future of the
human race, and it is rather disconcerting.  However, I do not see
this is a case against animal experimentation.  If worse comes to
worse and medical help was no longer available on the large scale if
at all, then the survival of the fittest would take over and the human
gene pool would become eventually strong again, assuming people still
existed.
Scott C. Jensen
scj@mecc.MN.ORG

Alan Morimoto writes:
|We end up with a lot of sick people that would not survive
|without medical help.  [..] I can imagine that countries that are
|not as medically advanced inherit a stronger gene pool of people simply
|because the weak will perish.  Will the future of the world be inherited by
|us, the medically pampered, or the third world?

I have come to the same conclusion when pondering the future of the
human race, and it is rather disconcerting.  However, I do not see
this is a case against animal experimentation.  If worse comes to
worse and medical help was no longer available on the large scale if
at all, then the survival of the fittest would take over and the human
gene pool would become eventually strong again (assuming that it is now
weak), if people still exist.
Scott C. Jensen
scj@mecc.MN.ORG

marty@june.cs.washington.edu (Marty Sirkin) (02/02/89)

In article <674@intvax.UUCP>, morimoto@intvax.UUCP (Alan Morimoto) writes:
> [ about saving people via animal research]
> Yet what do we accomplish by all of this.  We end up with a lot of sick
> people that would not survive without medical help.

Not always.  I remember back in the early-mid 70's when my father was about
to die.  He had a bad heart, and the doctors told him that he wouldn't last
the month.  They did tell him that they could try a very new medical
procedure which had been tried on animals, but very few humans.  He went
ahead and had a bypass.  And survived until 1983.

Granted he had some problems in the 8+ years extra he lived.  But very few.
He was not much of a burden on society, and lived to see his children
graduate from college, and one of his children married.  Seems like a useful
procedure to me.

In addition, he was a diabetic for some 30 years (after he had had children,
and passed on his genes).  Without the animal research he would have been
dead.  With the medicine he lived a very useful, productive life.  He was
not "sick" save that he had to have his shots/pills twice a day.  Seems like
a very good tradeoff to me.

						Marty Sirkin

avatar@pnet51.cts.com (Timothy Fay) (02/02/89)

skellyjp@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (James P Skelly) writes:
>In article <221@anselm.UUCP>, sperry@anselm.UUCP (MALF) writes:
>>     Using animals for scientific research is completely unnecessary and
>> cruel to the animals.  With todays technology we do not need to use
>> animals for the research.  The tests done have been done at least 100
>> times allready.
>
>This is wrong.  There is no substitute for the use of animals in medical
>research nor is animal research cruel to the animals...

I can accept that, under certain conditions, some animal research MAY be
necessary.  But please spare us this baloney that animal research isn't
cruel to the animals.  It IS cruel and, someday hopefully, it will also
be unnecessary.

UUCP: {uunet!rosevax, amdahl!bungia, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!avatar
INET: avatar@pnet51.cts.com

wood@vaxwaller.UUCP (John Wood) (02/02/89)

In article <5963@phoenix.Princeton.EDU->, skellyjp@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (James P Skelly) writes:
-> In article <221@anselm.UUCP>, sperry@anselm.UUCP (MALF) writes:
-> >     Using animals for scientific research is completely unnecessary and
-> > cruel to the animals.  With todays technology we do not need to use
-> > animals for the research.  The tests done have been done at least 100
-> > times allready.
->
-> This is wrong.  There is no substitute for the use of animals in medical
-> research nor is animal research cruel to the animals.

This categorical statement deserves some discussion.  (See below)

-> Except in rare cases animals are given all the care that pets would get
-> when they go to a vet.

Well, I don't know about that claim.  I spent two years in the Parmacology
department of a major Medical School where dogs were used for most of the
medical research that I was involved in.  I must say that the post-operative
care given the animals was less than desirable from my point of view.
Perhaps this school is the "rare case" but it's the only one that I have
personal knowledge of.

-> Since so many people seem to be unaware of how
-> animal research has benefitted medical practice, including veterinary
-> medicine, I've included some information.
->
-> The following is taken from the pamphlet "What if - There were no animal
-> research?" put out by the Foundation For Biomedical Research.
->
-> -Polio would kill or cripple thousands of unvaccinated children and
-> adults this year.
->
	(A long list of other diseases that killed and/or maimed a
	large number of humans because animals were not used for
	research was deleted)

It seems to me that there is a possible error in this thinking.  The
assumption is that if animals were not used for research then all these
diseases would still be killing us.  Perhaps that is too black and white.
I believe that if scientists were not able to use animals for research
they would find some other way to solve the difficult problems that they
encounter.  I submit that the problem would be harder to solve but I don't
think that the problems are insurmountable.  Perhaps the animal rights
folks could add some constructive diologue by suggesting other possible
solutions.  BTW, I am not an activist in this area I just have a personal
ethical belief that _I_ should not be involved in the unnecessary killing
of animals.
--
	John Wood		(415) 945-2273
	Varian Instruments, 2700 Mitchell Dr.  Walnut Creek, Ca. 94598

muller@ditsyda.oz (Carl Muller) (02/02/89)

In article <674@intvax.UUCP>, morimoto@intvax.UUCP (Alan Morimoto) writes:
> [Verbiage deleted]... My point is that we need
to look at what long term effects we are creating by breeding
> diseases into our future generations.  I can imagine that countries that are
> not as medically advanced inherit a stronger gene pool of people simply
> because the weak will perish.  Will the future of the world be inherited by
> us, the medically pampered, or the third world?
>
> 			--Alan

As any player of a Role Playing Game will tell you, Constitution
isn't everything. So called "Stronger" gene pools are rubbish.
*Much* bigger improvements in performance are possible through
things such as improved diet (as in the Japanese). Besides that,
the physically weak are not necessarily useless. Many geniuses
(such as Blaise Pascal) have had weak constitutions. Admittedly
they survived without modern drugs but not without adequate
sanitation (which is lacking in many third world countries).
With regard to "breeding diseases" into the population, have
we "bred Smallpox" into the human race by vaccination? There aren't
too many cases of it now, are there? After the disease was
practically eliminated, the preventative measures became
unnecessary.
With regard to the future of the world, why so "them and us"?
Shouldn't we be trying to give all of us adequate medical
facilities rather than worrying about factional differences?
-- Carl.     ("11. Thou shalt not waste bandwidth.")

dpb@hen3ry.Philips.Com (Paul Benjamin) (02/02/89)

In article <593@orbit.UUCP> avatar@pnet51.cts.com (Timothy Fay) writes:
>I can accept that, under certain conditions, some animal research MAY be
>necessary.  But please spare us this baloney that animal research isn't
>cruel to the animals.  It IS cruel and, someday hopefully, it will also
>be unnecessary.

Up till now I've been just observing this seemingly eternal
argument, but I feel I have to point out the extremely
simplistic position that seems to be emerging.  There is no
doubt that a lot of cruel animal research exists, and that
regulations are needed.  But to say that ALL animal research
is cruel is wrong.  There is a great deal of valuable work involving
many topics that are not cruel at all, e.g., diet (large doses
of vitamins), or biological rhythms (20-hour days, 30-hour days,
etc.), that are not necessarily cruel at all to the animals
involved, and cannot be realistically done with humans (and
certainly not with simulations).  Try controlling the daylight
and night hours of a large group of humans for a long time.
To lump all animal research together is oversimplifying, and
gives a vacuous argument.  Let's try to stick to the main point -
cruelty to animals, whether in the name of research or not.

Paul Benjamin

avatar@pnet51.cts.com (Timothy Fay) (02/06/89)

dpb@hen3ry.Philips.Com (Paul Benjamin) writes:
>In article <593@orbit.UUCP> avatar@pnet51.cts.com (Timothy Fay) writes:
>>I can accept that, under certain conditions, some animal research MAY be
>>necessary.  But please spare us this baloney that animal research isn't
>>cruel to the animals.  It IS cruel and, someday hopefully, it will also
>>be unnecessary.
>
>Up till now I've been just observing this seemingly eternal
>argument, but I feel I have to point out the extremely
>simplistic position that seems to be emerging.  There is no
>doubt that a lot of cruel animal research exists, and that
>regulations are needed.  But to say that ALL animal research
>is cruel is wrong.  There is a great deal of valuable work involving
>many topics that are not cruel at all, e.g., diet (large doses
>of vitamins), or biological rhythms (20-hour days, 30-hour days,
>etc.), that are not necessarily cruel at all to the animals
>involved, and cannot be realistically done with humans (and
>certainly not with simulations).  Try controlling the daylight
>and night hours of a large group of humans for a long time.
>To lump all animal research together is oversimplifying, and
>gives a vacuous argument.  Let's try to stick to the main point -
>cruelty to animals, whether in the name of research or not.

The person I was responding to claimed that animal research
*wasn't* cruel.  If my argument is 'vacuous', then the claim that
all animal research isn't cruel is at least equally vacuous.

It may be that not *all* animal research is cruel, but the
overwhelming majority of it is.  Most lab animals are used in
cancer research or product testing, and the methods used can be
very cruel, indeed.  The vitamin research you cited often invoves
administering hyper-doses to a sample group of animals, until 50%
of them die.  To me, that's cruel.  Necessary, *perhaps*, but don't
tell me it doesn't cause the test animals pain and suffering.

This is not to say all researchers are horrible, fanged monsters
and sadists.  Nor am I demanding an immediate halt to all
experimentation on animals.  I am, however, asking that we
consider how this kind of research affects the animals involved,
and to work to find methods of experimentation that do not
require animals as unwilling subjects.

ogil@tank.uchicago.edu (Brian W. Ogilvie) (02/08/89)

In article <674@intvax.UUCP> morimoto@intvax.UUCP (Alan Morimoto) writes:

>So, if there were a major disaster that restricted medical professionals to
>treating those who were injured, i.e. a war, then we would have a lot of
>dying people out there, dying from cronic illnesses.  My point is that maybe
>we need to look at what long term effects we are creating by breeding
>diseases into our future generations.  I can imagine that countries that are
>not as medically advanced inherit a stronger gene pool of people simply
>because the weak will perish.  Will the future of the world be inherited by
>us, the medically pampered, or the third world?
>
>Alan

Whoa! Wait a minute. Most of the diseases which are being controlled through
the use of antibiotics, reconstructive surgery, etc. are not genetic
diseases. Influenza, polio, and the like are caused by viruses and bacteria,
and as such there is no way that our medical technology is causing these
diseases to be "bred into future generations."

We _may_ be slowing down the evolution of genetic compensations for these
diseases, but as an examination of sickle-cell anemia or any other genetic
antimalarial shows, the cure is often nearly as bad (though the logic of
selection prevents it from being worse) than the disease. A far worse
result of the _indiscriminate_ use of antibiotics is the development of
resistant strains of bacteria, which can pass on this resistance to other
strains during conjugation. This has nothing to do with the gene pool.

Of course, a number of genetic diseases have been identified, and many are
treatable. For example, phenylketonuria, which is caused by an inability to
digest the amino acid phenylalanine and which results in brain damage, may
be identified and prevented by a special diet. If phenylketonurics reproduced
at the same rate as the rest of the population, the gene would remain fixed
at the same frequency in the population. However, phenylketonurics are aware
of their genetic deficiency (otherwise they would have suffered severe brain
damage during youth), and they can choose not to have children. As long as
they have fewer children than non-phenylketonuric families, the frequency
of the phenylketonuria gene will decrease.

The fear that we are becoming "genetically inferior" to "third world"
populations is not really justified. Perhaps, after a few centuries of
advanced medicine the frequency of recessive lethals will be higher in our
gene pool, but then our population size is much larger (because of
transportation, etc.). The major problem, antibiotic-resistant microorganisms,
will affect everyone equally. Furthermore, it seems likely that in any
situation where we lose our biomedical technology, more of us will be
dying from starvation or exposure than from any nasty recessives in the
gene pool.

--
Brian W. Ogilvie  /  ogil@tank.uchicago.edu
"Cartesianism is the most popular 'popular science' ever invented."

sarima@gryphon.COM (Stan Friesen) (02/24/89)

In article <593@orbit.UUCP> avatar@pnet51.cts.com (Timothy Fay) writes:
>skellyjp@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (James P Skelly) writes:
>>This is wrong.  There is no substitute for the use of animals in medical
>>research nor is animal research cruel to the animals...
>
>I can accept that, under certain conditions, some animal research MAY be
>necessary.  But please spare us this baloney that animal research isn't
>cruel to the animals.  It IS cruel and, someday hopefully, it will also
>be unnecessary.

	This sounds very nice, but HOW will animal research become unnecessary!
As long as there is any relevent aspect of animal physiology or behavior
that is unknown the only way of discovering it will be experimentation.
Remember, simulations are only useful for revealing the implications of
what we already know, they cannot actually provide new basic data. Or
are you imagining some other method of gaining radical new knowledge?
If so tell us what it is, we would like to know how to discover new things
without experimentation.
--
Sarima Cardolandion			sarima@gryphon.CTS.COM
aka Stanley Friesen			rutgers!marque!gryphon!sarima

avatar@pnet51.cts.com (Timothy Fay) (03/11/89)

sue@blake.acs.washington.edu (Geometrodynmcs) writes:
>So just because one group has already put "formaldyhyde" on some rabbits'
>eyes DOES NOT MEAN IT IS NO LONGER NECESSARY to "put formaldyhyde" on OTHER
>rabbits eyes AGAIN (within a context of a totally different experiment)!!

Perhaps.  As long as it is in the name of Science, and not a new line
Mary Kay Cosmetics.

drsmith@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (drew smith) (03/13/89)

In article <3254@ttrdc.UUCP> levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
>More practical I think, would be the use of computerized record-keeping for
>some kind of national or even international database to record the results
>of specific animal tests, so that tests, especially tests that cause pain to
>animals, need not be unnecessarily repeated.  Why should a hundred different
>research institutions, for instance, have to independently find out what
>happens when a rabbit has formaldehyde squirted in its eye?  Granted, for
>animal rights partisans even once is too much, but surely more than once is
>even worse!
>
>Unlike computer modeling which would require both compute power and basic
>information that we just don't have available to us yet, this could be done
>NOW.

That is precisely what the scientific literature is for. For
better or worse there are no rewards in science for repeating
others experiments. Therefore no *competent* scientist will waste
his/her time doing what's been done before. The problem is that
the size of the literature is just too big for anyone to keep up
with. There do exist computerized databases, such as Dialog, that
will direct users to the relevant publications; these are fast,
but expensive. Every university library also has a set of ISI
scientific indexes and biological abstracts that will do the
same thing for free, but can be tedious and time-consuming.
Still, it is always faster to find someone else's results
than to do the experiment yourself. Given the cost of animal
experimentation, it is also vastly cheaper.

-Drew Smith, Dept. of Biology, Indiana Univ.