[talk.rumors] Jolt

nolan@lll-crg.UUCP (09/27/86)

>There is a new cola drink made by a company in Roch., NY, called "Jolt",
>whose ads say "all the sugar and twice the caffeine".  They boast that
>they only use real sugar, not corn-sweeteners.  I think that it is only
>distributed in upstate NY so far.  I don't like any colas, so I have not
>tried it.
	I've tried Jolt, its ok, I know its sold in Illinois.

daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (09/30/86)

>>There is a new cola drink made by a company in Roch., NY, called "Jolt",
>>whose ads say "all the sugar and twice the caffeine".  They boast that
>>they only use real sugar, not corn-sweeteners.  I think that it is only
>>distributed in upstate NY so far.  I don't like any colas, so I have not
>>tried it.
> 	I've tried Jolt, its ok, I know its sold in Illinois.

We get it here in Eastern PA now.  Good stuff, now if only they'd make a
diet version (10-15 of these babies can mean lots of calories, which I'd
rather spend on beer).

Dave Haynie    {caip,ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh

	These opinions are my own, though if you try them out, and decide
	that you really like them, a small donation would be appreciated.

allanon@hope.UUCP (Kenneth Leung) (09/30/86)

>>>There is a new cola drink made by a company in Roch., NY, called "Jolt",
>>>whose ads say "all the sugar and twice the caffeine".  They boast that
>>>they only use real sugar, not corn-sweeteners.  I think that it is only
>>>distributed in upstate NY so far.  I don't like any colas, so I have not
>>>tried it.
>> 	I've tried Jolt, its ok, I know its sold in Illinois.
> We get it here in Eastern PA now.  Good stuff, now if only they'd make a
> diet version (10-15 of these babies can mean lots of calories, which I'd
> rather spend on beer).
> Dave Haynie    {caip,ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh
Yes, Ca here do not have it on sale but I managed to get a 2-litre bottle
and a six-pack of Jolt (UPS shipped, $$$ :-(  ). That stuff is nasty if you
happened to be very thirsty and on an empty stomach (which my roommate
*KINDLY* arranged for one time I came back from a trip) I was not exactly
feeling mellow. Another time I drank it after drinking some milk an hour
before and the effect was  ...eh... should I say ..."interesting"?

-ken

kurt@fluke.UUCP (Kurt Guntheroth) (10/01/86)

I know the person behind Jolt cola.  His name is Gay Mullins and he is
a former electronic technician turned entrepeneur from Seattle WA.  Gay
was the person who initiated a lawsuit against Coca Cola for changing
the formula (to new coke).  Now, such a lawsuit is completely without
merit, and Gay knew it.  He was hoping to start a national movement and
make money on tee shirts and buttons.  Very unfortunately for him, coke
immediately realized their mistake and reintroduced 'classic' coke.
The lawsuit collapsed from lack of interest.

Now Gay was pretty well blown out of the financial water having
invested his wad in the buttons and tee shirts, but he was not down
yet.  He noted that about 10 years ago Coke (and most soft drink
companies) had switched from cane sugar to the lower-calorie, less
expensive corn sweeteners they use now.  He claimed that classic coke
still "didn't taste right, that they'd tampered with the formula he
knew as a child."  He found a small bottler and convinced them to
market a cane-sugar cola.

Gay has led a bizarre life in the persuit of riches, and has made and lost
about the same number of dollars.  He has (I think) been a millionaire, been
broke, may even have fled the country at one point (we are pretty sure),
been stabbed in the lobby of a hotel he owned/operated,  Gay is a standing
example of why you should go to college, work for somebody else, and be more
than happy to earn a steady salary.

SofPasuk@imagen.UUCP (10/02/86)

> >>There is a new cola drink made by a company in Roch., NY, called "Jolt",
> >>whose ads say "all the sugar and twice the caffeine".  They boast that
> >>they only use real sugar, not corn-sweeteners.  I think that it is only
> >>distributed in upstate NY so far.  I don't like any colas, so I have not
> >>tried it.
> > 	I've tried Jolt, its ok, I know its sold in Illinois.
>
> We get it here in Eastern PA now.  Good stuff, now if only they'd make a
> diet version (10-15 of these babies can mean lots of calories, which I'd
> rather spend on beer).

... and instead of aspartame, they will use cyclamates !

philm@astroatc.UUCP (Phil Mason) (10/04/86)

In article <593@imagen.UUCP> SofPasuk@imagen.UUCP writes:

>> > 	I've tried Jolt, its ok, I know its sold in Illinois.
>>
>> We get it here in Eastern PA now.  Good stuff, now if only they'd make a
>> diet version (10-15 of these babies can mean lots of calories, which I'd
>> rather spend on beer).
>
>... and instead of aspartame, they will use cyclamates !

Hey guys! You're missing THE POINT, which is :

Sugar is better for you than all that artificial junk and even tastes better
too! That is, unless your taste buds have been scorched off by those icky
chemicals. Jolt is a REAL drink - not just another metallic, plastic,
thoroughly unwholesome soft drinks.

Drink up. It's real, and it doesn't cause cancer. People have been taking
sugar for centuries!

Kirk  : Bones ?                |  Phil Mason, Astronautics Technical Center
Bones : He's dead Jim.         |  Madison, Wisconsin - "Eat Cheese or Die!"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -|
...seismo-uwvax-astroatc!philm |  I would really like to believe that my
...ihnp4-nicmad/               |  employer shares all my opinions, but . . .

ed@plx.UUCP (10/04/86)

> >> 	I've tried Jolt, its ok, I know its sold in Illinois.
> > We get it here in Eastern PA now.  Good stuff, now if only they'd make a
> > diet version (10-15 of these babies can mean lots of calories, which I'd
> > rather spend on beer).
> > Dave Haynie    {caip,ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh
> Yes, Ca here do not have it on sale but I managed to get a 2-litre bottle
> and a six-pack of Jolt (UPS shipped, $$$ :-(  ). That stuff is nasty if you
> happened to be very thirsty and on an empty stomach (which my roommate
> *KINDLY* arranged for one time I came back from a trip) I was not exactly
> feeling mellow. Another time I drank it after drinking some milk an hour
> before and the effect was  ...eh... should I say ..."interesting"?
>
> -ken

"Let's put the COKE back in Coke"

				-Joe Piscopo (Saturday Night Live)

		I wanna  get a sip of this stuff!! as an avid coffee
		drinker from the east coast, I'm *REALLY* upset about
		the fact that "Ca here do not have it on sale"

		Say Ken, how's about sharing the wealth?

		-ed-

rb@cci632.UUCP (Rex Ballard) (10/07/86)

In article <745@hope.UUCP> allanon@hope.UUCP (Kenneth Leung) writes:
> [...]

A little background.  Roch. N.Y. is a town loaded with engineers, chemists,
and other "high tech" professionals.  This group is not so "health oriented"
and lives out of the candy machine and the pop machine.

Jolt, for this group, is the answer to the "it's 10:00 PM, the cafeteria
is closed, and I still have 4 more hours worth of tests" problem.  A
bottle of Jolt can keep you going for another 4 hours (or more :-).

>>> 	I've tried Jolt, its ok, I know its sold in Illinois.
>> We get it here in Eastern PA now.  Good stuff, now if only they'd make a
>> diet version (10-15 of these babies can mean lots of calories, which I'd
>> rather spend on beer).

Actually, the caffine is supposed to help you burn of those extra calories.
I wouldn't expect to see a diet version.

>> Dave Haynie    {caip,ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh
>That stuff is nasty if you
>happened to be very thirsty and on an empty stomach (which my roommate
>*KINDLY* arranged for one time I came back from a trip) I was not exactly
>feeling mellow.

Unless you were very tired, you could've shook like crazy :-).

>Another time I drank it after drinking some milk an hour
>before and the effect was  ...eh... should I say ..."interesting"?
>-ken

What's fun is to drink about 16 oz, just before a big meeting.
You can't stop talking. :-).

Maybe this should be discussed in net.drugs :-).

I still like Dr. Pepper or Mr. Pibb better, but here in Rochester, it
isn't all that easy to get.  You have to go to another county to get
Mr. Pibb.

john@frog.UUCP (John Woods, Software) (10/07/86)

In several articles, several people write the following (and more!):
> >>Eastern...stuff...10-15...babies...wombats.
> >
> >... and instead of aspartame, they will use cyclamates !
>
> Sugar is better for you...!
> Drink up. It's real, and it doesn't cause cancer. People have been taking
> sugar for centuries!

Yes, but most of the people over the past 5 centuries who took sugar are now
dead!  Think about it!
(What's worse, consider the history of the past 1000 years of water
addiction...)

--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw%mit-ccc@MIT-XX.ARPA

"Don't give me this intelligent life crap,
just find me a planet I can blow up."

daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (10/08/86)

> Drink up. It's real, and it doesn't cause cancer. People have been taking
> sugar for centuries!

It may not cause cancer, but it helps cause obesity, which it turn helps
cause heart disease.  People have been taking sugar for centuries, but
they've also been dying for centuries :-).

> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> Kirk  : Bones ?                |  Phil Mason, Astronautics Technical Center
> Bones : He's dead Jim.         |  Madison, Wisconsin - "Eat Cheese or Die!"
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -|
> ...seismo-uwvax-astroatc!philm |  I would really like to believe that my
> ...ihnp4-nicmad/               |  employer shares all my opinions, but . . .
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Dave Haynie	{caip,ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh
		"Techno-Hippie, heathen, designing evil computers"

pdobeda@watnot.UUCP (Paul D. Obeda) (10/09/86)

In article <1076@frog.UUCP> john@frog.UUCP (John Woods, Software) writes:

>> >... and instead of aspartame, they will use cyclamates !
>>
>Yes, but most of the people over the past 5 centuries who took sugar are now
>dead!  Think about it!
>(What's worse, consider the history of the past 1000 years of water
>addiction...)

Awright.  Let's start a rumour (er--rumor) that this posting is itself
the penlutimate JOLT-AIA posting.  This rumour verifies the existence of
both, and in fact, claims that they stem from the same organisation
(or organization, if you prefer).  If it had been so desired, this
posting could have listed all the stores (cities, states and
provinces, countries, continents, etc, but let's not get carried away
on this ...) that are currently (or soon shall or will have) selling
(sell; sold) Jolt Cola or AIA memberships/toll-free phone numbers.

*Can anyone verify this rumour?  (I'll start it, perhaps ten people
  can actually hear/read and repeat/repost it, and then it'll be fer
  real!).

Paul D. Obeda

  :-)]}>  --can you find _your_ favourite chin?

art@leadsv.UUCP (Arthur S. Harkin) (10/10/86)

In article <859@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP>, daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
> > Drink up. It's real, and it doesn't cause cancer. People have been taking
> > sugar for centuries!
>
> It may not cause cancer, but it helps cause obesity, which it turn helps
> cause heart disease.  People have been taking sugar for centuries, but
> they've also been dying for centuries :-).

> Dave Haynie	{caip,ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh
> 		"Techno-Hippie, heathen, designing evil computers"

	Currently there is no evidence that links sugar directly to
   obesity or heart disease.  In fact, the only conclusive evidence
   on the affects of sugar to the human body, is that it aids (causes?)
   tooth decay.
	Just for a side note, I believe that sugar has 16 calories to
   the teaspoon.  With that in mind, it might be worth those extra
   calories to avoid some of the artifical sweetners, that seem to be
   a little more questionable.
	If you are worried about heart disease, remember that ice
   cream is not a threat due to its sugar, but rather to its fat
   content.

				- Art Harkin

 Post no silly phrases here.

--

			 /-- dual ---\
                  	/-- ucbvax ---\	  /--- sun!sunncal ---\

matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) (10/11/86)

About this:
>> Drink up. It's real, and it doesn't cause cancer. People have been taking
>> sugar for centuries!
>
>It may not cause cancer, but it helps cause obesity, ...

Consumption of refined sugar can also cause mood and behavior
changes which are almost indistinguishable from schizophrenia.
(Source: Nutrition and Teenagers)  I gave up candy and sodas
when I read about that.
				Matt Crawford

(PS: And so did I!)

daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (10/13/86)

> 	Just for a side note, I believe that sugar has 16 calories to
>    the teaspoon.  With that in mind, it might be worth those extra
>    calories to avoid some of the artifical sweetners, that seem to be
>    a little more questionable.

At up to 120-150 calories per bottle, that's a big pile of sugar then.

> 	If you are worried about heart disease, remember that ice
>    cream is not a threat due to its sugar, but rather to its fat
>    content.

That's why I prefer frozen yogurt (no fat, make it myself).

edw@ihopa.UUCP (EDWindes) (10/14/86)

> > Actually, because it has twice the caffine, even though it has
> > more calories, you are more likely burn it off (shaking in a
> > chair if nothing else), simply do to the stimulant effect of
> > caffine.  Try drinking a whole pot of coffee over a period of
> > one or two hours.  The effect is about the same.
>
> Let's see, your standard cola maxes out at about 80 Mg of caffine, that
> implies that Jolt could be as high as 160 Mg.  An average cup of coffee
> supplies around 120-140 Mg., but I always drink a mug.  Still nowhere the
> effect of an entire pot of coffee.  As a comparison, No-Doze tablets have
> 150 Mg. per dose, Viverin tablets have 200 Mg. per dose.  I don't happen
> to like sugar; its much too sweet, and it leaves a bad aftertaste.  As
> well as making you fat.

As a sidenote, I was comparing labels on "added strength
pain relievers" yesterday (Excederin(c), etc) and noticed
that they run 130 Mg of caffiene per dose. Hmmm...

#############################################################################
#   Edwin D. Windes [...!ihnp4!ihopa!edw]                   (312)979-5748   #
#   AT&T Bell Labs, IH 6G-311, Naperville-Wheaton Rd, Naperville IL 60540   #
#                                                                           #
# "It seems to me that perfection of means   o o   My opinions are rarely   #
#   and confusion of purpose seem to          J     held by other rational  #
#   characterize our age." - Albert Einstein  /     beings.  I don't care.  #
#############################################################################

philm@astroatc.UUCP (Phil Mason) (10/14/86)

In article <859@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
>> Drink up. It's real, and it doesn't cause cancer. People have been taking
>> sugar for centuries!
>
>It may not cause cancer, but it helps cause obesity, which it turn helps
>cause heart disease.  People have been taking sugar for centuries, but
>they've also been dying for centuries :-).

Sugar is not that bad for you. Come on! As long as you take everything in
moderation, you have nothing to worry about. It is one's attitude towards food
that causes one to over indulge. Sugar can make the attitude show on one's body
faster than many other foods, but there are other things one can eat to make
one get bigger as well. The point is : sugar is not inherently icky or
unhealthful unless you happen to be hypoglycemic or diabetic. It is not a
cancer causing agent (as far as science knows now) and is, in my opinion, safer
to take and tastier than any of that dubious artificial crap that we have been
conditioned into desiring.

Kirk  : Bones ?                |  Phil Mason, Astronautics Technology Center