[talk.rumors] Jolt - fattening.

rb@cci632.UUCP (Rex Ballard) (10/10/86)

In article <859@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
>> Drink up. It's real, and it doesn't cause cancer. People have been taking
>> sugar for centuries!
>
>It may not cause cancer, but it helps cause obesity, which it turn helps
>cause heart disease.  People have been taking sugar for centuries, but
>they've also been dying for centuries :-).

Actually, because it has twice the caffine, even though it has
more calories, you are more likely burn it off (shaking in a
chair if nothing else), simply do to the stimulant effect of
caffine.  Try drinking a whole pot of coffee over a period of
one or two hours.  The effect is about the same.

Rochester isn't has "health oriented" as say, California :-).

Jolt is probably still not a good idea for people with diabetes
or hypertension.

Rex B.

daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (10/13/86)

> In article <859@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
>>> Drink up. It's real, and it doesn't cause cancer. People have been taking
>>> sugar for centuries!
>>
>>It may not cause cancer, but it helps cause obesity, which it turn helps
>>cause heart disease.  People have been taking sugar for centuries, but
>>they've also been dying for centuries :-).
>
> Actually, because it has twice the caffine, even though it has
> more calories, you are more likely burn it off (shaking in a
> chair if nothing else), simply do to the stimulant effect of
> caffine.  Try drinking a whole pot of coffee over a period of
> one or two hours.  The effect is about the same.

Let's see, your standard cola maxes out at about 80 Mg of caffine, that
implies that Jolt could be as high as 160 Mg.  An average cup of coffee
supplies around 120-140 Mg., but I always drink a mug.  Still nowhere the
effect of an entire pot of coffee.  As a comparison, No-Doze tablets have
150 Mg. per dose, Viverin tablets have 200 Mg. per dose.  I don't happen
to like sugar; its much too sweet, and it leaves a bad aftertaste.  As
well as making you fat.

> Rochester isn't has "health oriented" as say, California :-).

And I'm not from California!  I live in New Jersey, and work in
Pennsylvania (and would rather be somewhere in the Caribbean).

> Jolt is probably still not a good idea for people with diabetes
> or hypertension.

That one, I'd believe.

> Rex B.
Dave Haynie	{caip,ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh
		"Techno-Hippie, heathen, designing evil computers"

	These opinions are my own, though if you try them out, and decide
	that you really like them, a small donation would be appreciated.

philm@astroatc.UUCP (Phil Mason) (10/14/86)

In article <493@cci632.UUCP> rb@ccird2.UUCP (Rex Ballard) writes:
>In article <859@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
>>> Drink up. It's real, and it doesn't cause cancer. People have been taking
>>> sugar for centuries!
>>
>>It may not cause cancer, but it helps cause obesity, which it turn helps
>>cause heart disease.  People have been taking sugar for centuries, but
>>they've also been dying for centuries :-).
>
>Actually, because it has twice the caffine, even though it has
>more calories, you are more likely burn it off (shaking in a
>chair if nothing else), simply do to the stimulant effect of
>caffine.  Try drinking a whole pot of coffee over a period of
>one or two hours.  The effect is about the same.
>
>Rochester isn't has "health oriented" as say, California :-).
>
>Jolt is probably still not a good idea for people with diabetes
>or hypertension.
>
>Rex B.

Coffee and non-decaffeinated tea have many more times the amount of caffein as
does a can of Jolt. Jolt doesn't cause one to shake unless you are particularly
sensitive to caffein in the first place.

Studies that I have read about say that caffein causes a craving for sugar.
Packaging caffein without sugar would appear to make "diet" sodas into diet
breaking drinks.

Kirk  : Bones ?                |  Phil Mason, Astronautics Technology Center
Bones : He's dead Jim.         |  Madison, Wisconsin - "Eat Cheese or Die!"
...seismo-uwvax-astroatc!philm |  I would really like to believe that my
...ihnp4-nicmad/               |  employer shares all my opinions, but . . .