[talk.religion] Who can know?

stuart@BMS-AT.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman) (09/10/86)

In article <1036@g.cs.cmu.edu>, kck@g.cs.cmu.edu (Karl Kluge) writes:

> "randomness". There are simply fundamental limitations on the knowledge
> one can have of the state of a quantum mechanical system.
  ^^^

The knowledge *we* can have is certainly limited.  Unless you assume
that only beings with our physical limitations are observing, this
does not mean there are no observers.
--
Stuart D. Gathman	<..!seismo!{vrdxhq|dgis}!BMS-AT!stuart>

throopw@dg_rtp.UUCP (Wayne Throop) (09/15/86)

> stuart@BMS-AT.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman)
>> kck@g.cs.cmu.edu (Karl Kluge)

>> "randomness". There are simply fundamental limitations on the knowledge
>> one can have of the state of a quantum mechanical system.
>
> The knowledge *we* can have is certainly limited.  Unless you assume
> that only beings with our physical limitations are observing, this
> does not mean there are no observers.

You mistake what recent expirements have shown.  They have shown that,
not only can *we* never know, but *noone* can ever know, because the
information *ISN'T* *THERE* *TO* *BE* *KNOWN*.

--
The best book on programming for the layman is "Alice in Wonderland";
but that's because it's the best book on anything for the layman.