[mod.psi] Definitions

Urlord@ulowell.UUCP (12/13/86)

In order to get a rough idea of what people are talking about we should get a
few definitions and concepts thrown out into the open.  (it also helps get
things started again)

1) What is your definition of psionics?
2) What do you consider to fall under the cateogory of psionics?  Does it
   include witchcraft? or is psionics a form of witchcraft? or are they
   separate?
3) Does psionics deal with the mind or the brain?

magik@chinet.UUCP (12/17/86)

In article <843@ulowell.UUCP> khudson@hawk.CS (Urlord) writes:
>In order to get a rough idea of what people are talking about we should get a
>few definitions and concepts thrown out into the open.  (it also helps get
>things started again)
>
>3) Does psionics deal with the mind or the brain?

Sounds like this is going to open up a LARGE discussion about the definitions of
mind and brain.  (BTW - what, exactly, did you mean by "mind" and "brain"? ;-)

----------------------
  you only go around once in life (and then you get dizzy and fall over :-)

Ben Liberman

ihnp4!chinet!magik   or   ihnp4!homebru!magik

carl@harlie.UUCP (12/17/86)

Regarding witchcraft and psi, I think they are two different phenomena.
Psi is exercise of mental capabilities, while witchcraft and "magic"
seem to be some way of invoking, rather than doing something directly.
Never having had any experience with witchcraft (I have had a little
with some forms of ESP), I can't say what exactly witchcraft is, beyond
what I see it described as (yes, I read a lot of fantasy and science
fiction).  Anyone out there found any facets of "magic" that work?--
/--------------------------------v-------------------------------------------\
| Carl Greenberg                 | "I have a very firm grasp on reality!  I  |
| Lunatic Laboratories Unlimited | can reach out and strangle it any time!"  |
| "I always have fun because I'm | UUCP:                             -- Me   |
| out of my mind." -- Zippy      |  {qantel,ihnp4,lll-crg}!ptsfa!harlie!carl |
\--------------------------------^-------------------------------------------/

sks@hcfeams.UUCP (12/17/86)

To start off, let me introduce myself.  My name is Sam Spitzner.  I
have been studying this field intently for the last 5 years.  I have
taught for about 3 1/2 of them.  The place that I learned most of my
information from (and the vehicle I used to teach from) was called
the School of Metaphysics.

brain or the mind, I draw a very distinct line.  Psionics originate
in the mind.  The brain is a physical organ, so therefore, would
deal with physical things.  The brain dies with the physical body,
so it has no capability of carrying on memories.  The mind never
dies.  It is that part of us that is immortal.  There are many
levels of the mind, and psychic abilities originate in different
levels.

On the subject of witchcraft, I believe that this makes use of
psychic abilities.  The reason I feel this way is that a person who
practices witchcraft manipulates energy to create a certain
condition or circumstance.  This energy is non-physical.

Psionics would deal with any action that manipulates non-physical
energy.

As is always the case, these are my opinions, and no one elses.

mod-psi@ulowell.UUCP (12/18/86)

[]

     My definition of the brain includes only the physiological or physical
aspects.  The mind is that part of the person which makes him/her unique and
which may or may not be immortal.  I don't know because I haven't lived that
long ;^).  The mind , however is dependant upon the brain in order to express
itself to other brains which are linked to minds.  There might be ways to get
around this through telepathy, but even this has been shown to be linked with
physiological changes in brain waves.  This might or might not be just a side
effect of mind to mind communication.  It is still up in the air.

> From ulowell!harlie!carl Wed Dec 17 08:57:53 EST 1986
> Article 13 of mod.psi:
>
> Regarding witchcraft and psi, I think they are two different phenomena.
> Psi is exercise of mental capabilities, while witchcraft and "magic"
> seem to be some way of invoking, rather than doing something directly.

If you talk to people who practice witchcraft (wiccans or wyccans), including
some of the prominent ones, they will tell you that they are definitely doing
something directly when they cast a spell or meditate.  They usually don't do
things like making objects float in the air because it is not that important.
Most of the things that they would consider important (comparable to a
psionicist making a book float to him/her) are not visible.  They take what is
there and change it through sending energy and don't try to add in another
factor that was not there in the first place. Yes, there are wiccans out there
that would like to be able to teleport, but that is not the central theme of
witchcraft.  I'm not saying that that is all psionicists want to do either.
I consider myself to fall in the middle of the two groups, because I do want
to be able to do neat things in the physical world as well as neat things in
the inner world.  I use both psionics and witchcraft to do these things.

If there are any wiccans (or wyccans) out there that would like to explain the
craft in more detail it would be greatly appreciated.  I don't know enough to
explain the complexity of it all.

> From ulowell!hcfeams!sks Wed Dec 17 08:59:49 EST 1986
> Article 14 of mod.psi:
>
> As is always the case, these are my opinions, and no one elses.

Don't be so sure. People (like me) do hold opinions very similar to yours.
If that is of any comfort to you. ;^)

            "Joy is in the ears that hear"  Foamfollower the Giant

Urlord (Kevin Hudson)
UUCP: !wanginst!ulowell!khudson@hawk

russ@gwhigh.UUCP (12/29/86)

[]

In article <854@ulowell.UUCP> carl@harlie.UUCP writes:
>Regarding witchcraft and psi, I think they are two different phenomena.
>Psi is exercise of mental capabilities, while witchcraft and "magic"
>seem to be some way of invoking, rather than doing something directly.

Carl,
Witchcraft is a RELIGION, just as Buddism is a religion.  Most of the
witches that I know feel that magick and psi are interrelated and that what
we think and believe affects the world around us.   That having been said,
you should know that most witches use magick primarily to bring about changes
in their own attitudes.  Magick is a tool used by witches in the worship of
the Goddess and the God.  That worship includes self-improvement, respect for
Nature and Life in its great variety, and responsibility for your own actions.

Russ