[mod.psi] levels of description

mkent@violet.berkeley.edu.UUCP (02/26/87)

[]

In article <33446a71.44e6@apollo.uucp> nelson_p@apollo.uucp writes:
>Marty Kent writes:
>
>>    Suppose you say something rude about my mother, and I punch you in the
>> nose.  Tom's in the room and sees all this happen.  Mary comes in and asks
>> him what's up, and he tells her
    ... complex, mechanistic description of "purely physical" events
	with no reference to participants' intentions ...
>>    Now all of this is *true*.  But most people would agree that this level
>> of description rather misses the point, don't you think?
>
> Yes, I agree that it 'misses the point' in the sense that Tom could just as
> well have said, "Peter said something rude about Marty's mother so Marty
> punched him".  But note that the neurological level of description and
> the behavioral/social level of description are not essentially in conflict.

   I think we're in agreement here; this was what I meant when I wrote "all
of this is *true*." Now it happens you and I see these descriptions as not
in conflict, for which I'm glad.  But many people, elementary school
teachers of my era (late 1950's) for example, seem(ed) to think that "more
physical" descriptions are always correct, and that they somehow preclude
animistic, "unscientific" ones.

   At last year's (or was it two years ago?) ACM SIGCHI conference, Allen
Newell spoke of a variation on Gresham's Law:  "Hard science tends to drive
out soft."  What he seemed to me to be saying was that more quantitative,
"engineering-type" descriptions tend to drive out qualitative ones
(actually he was speaking of the character of psychological research that
might be useful in the design of computer-human interfaces).

   The cultural roots of our scientific study of the material world are so
much stronger than the roots of our scientific study of mind that we tend
to label non-materialistic descriptions of phenomena as "unscientific", in
some cases simply rejecting such descriptions out-of-hand.

   I think there's a meta-level to this, and it has to do with the
usefulness of descriptions in the first place.  To the extent that we're
completely involved in the pursuit of some well-defined set of goals, we
can evaluate "competing" descriptions of events in terms of what they buy
us in that goal structure.  We need to be explicit about this.  For
instance if we believe in and are primarily concerned with the emotional
states of the participants in a conversation, we'll have use for different
kinds of descriptions than if we're concerned with neurological events.  I
don't mean to imply any kind of mutual exclusivity either, but only that
our focus and orientation define and prioritize what we consider
"elementary" and some cases even relevant.

> They just look at the same events at two different levels.
> It's the same as if we described the ReadNews program in terms of 'C'
> source code or in terms of the machine language in the binary file.  There
> is a definite mapping from one to the other, though I concede that all the
> details of this mapping in the nose-punching case have yet to be worked
> out.

   I think this remains to be seen.  To the extent that our descriptions
really constitute a hierarchy of detail, I agree.  In my original example
of a verbal disagreement as seen from the "everyday" perspective and from
some kind of physio/neurological perspective, I tend to think each
high-level (everyday) event maps to a (set of) low-level events.  But this
may not be true.

   I just got a copy of Drexler's "Engines of Creation," in which he
presents the possibility of (among many other things) creating an
atom-by-atom duplicate of a physical object.  Suppose we were to create
such a duplicate of a living being: would the duplicate be alive?  Would it
be "the same being" in some sense?  If not, it would mean that our
description of the being as a material phenomenon was missing something.
(Of course this missing something could simply be a matter of the
granularity of the atomic description; perhaps Life is fundamentally a
material phenomenon, but shows up below the atomic level...)

> If there is some mapping from neurological events to 'astral bodies' perhaps
> someone can suggest what it might be.  Oh, yes, and as I usually request,
> also suggest *by what means* we might know this to be the case.

   I think this is a good path to be on, but, obviously, it's really a
tough one.  To my knowledge noone's yet been able to draw any kind of
serious mapping between neurological events and even very "mundane"
everyday mental events like formulating a sentence or holding a particular
image in the mind's eye.  Some work in this direction has been to associate
certain frequency ranges of electrical brain activity (so-called beta,
alpha, theta and delta waves) with certain kinds of everyday activities,
but the correlations seem pretty weak.  Still, it's a start.

   Perhaps neurological events are just too low-level to use as an adequate
basis for description and measurement of personal mental (psychic?
spiritual?) experiences.

   Gotta run...  more soon. .  .

			- Marty

	.      .     .    .   .  . ... .  .   .    .     .      .

Marty Kent
net:  MKent@violet.berkeley.edu
work: Dept. of EMST / 4527 Tolman Hall / UC Berkeley / Berkeley, Ca. 94720
      415/ 642 0288
home: 1129 Bancroft Way / Berkeley, Ca. 94702
      415/ 548 9129
        .    .  . ... .  .    .        .        .    .  . ... .  .    .

mod-psi@ulowell.UUCP (03/11/87)

[]

>Marty Kent writes:
 [...]
>	  To my knowledge noone's yet been able to draw any kind of
>serious mapping between neurological events and even very "mundane"
>everyday mental events like formulating a sentence or holding a particular
>image in the mind's eye.  Some work in this direction has been to associate
>certain frequency ranges of electrical brain activity (so-called beta,
>alpha, theta and delta waves) with certain kinds of everyday activities,
>but the correlations seem pretty weak.  Still, it's a start.
>
>   Perhaps neurological events are just too low-level to use as an adequate
>basis for description and measurement of personal mental (psychic?
>spiritual?) experiences.
>
>			- Marty

Some of the neurological studies being done recently actually DO begin
to relate to some mental activities.  I remember several articles in
Scientific American (and in Psychology Today...?) about a recognizable
EEG pattern (might be called a "T wave"--I forget) which happens when
a subject sees a known symbol (word) in a meaningless context.
It is believed that this pattern occurs while the brain searches wildly
for a context in which the symbol fits.  Several other studies
duplicated these patterns, and I beleive these findings are fairly
generally accepted.  I beleive the Sci Am Brain/Cognitive reprint
series from 3 or 4 years ago is where I saw it.

A more recent article can be found in March '87 OMNI, pg 90, about
Charles A. Warren and Norman S. Don, neuroscientists at U of Illinois.
They are trying to detect Event-Related-Potentials associated with
reception of psychic knowledge.  Their subject, a Chicago 'psychic'
named Olaf Jonsson, guessed at symbols on standard ESP cards while
connected to an EEG machine.  He guessed at a 50% hit rate (random
would be 20%), and the researchers found a 73% correlation of of
a particular pattern and correct guesses.

Anyway, some serious scientists are trying to relate our internal
realities to the physical world, and with some amount of success.
I hope this field really blossoms in the coming years...

--das

peace. inner first, outer will follow...

trainor@CS.UCLA.EDU (03/15/87)

[]

In article "David A. Sheppard" <das@godot.think.com.uucp> writes:
>Scientific American (and in Psychology Today...?)
>A more recent article can be found in March '87 OMNI, pg 90, about

Pablum for the masses.

	Douglas

barnett@vdsvax.UUCP (03/17/87)

[]

In article <1135@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu> "David A. Sheppard" <das@godot.think.com.uucp> writes:
>Their subject, a Chicago 'psychic'
>named Olaf Jonsson, guessed at symbols on standard ESP cards while
>connected to an EEG machine.  He guessed at a 50% hit rate (random
>would be 20%), and the researchers found a 73% correlation of of
>a particular pattern and correct guesses.
>
>--das

	I would like to find out more about these `results'.  Most of
the research done with Olaf Jonsson, and most of the research with
PSI, has been extremely flawed in the methodology.

	As an example, the Burack-Jonsson tests done in 1971
were embarrassing. When the proper controls were in place, Olle had a headache.
Yet when the controls were eliminated, amazing results occurred!

	In the tests with Edgar Mitchell, the 20% probability became
40%!  Of course, these figures are suspect when it is discovered that
Jonsson recorded the results of his own experiment.

	In another example, Dr. J. B. Rhine reported success in 1949
with Jonsson and later retracted the results when he admitted that
the tests were under Jonsson's control.

	As far as I know, positive results in PSI experiments are
inversely proportional to the amount of controls placed on the
experiment. In blunt terms, scientists are not qualified to specify
the controls needed. And the easiest people to delude are the
scientists who want to show a positive results.

	On the other hand, the SCIOP is quite capable of ignoring
experiments that they can't disprove. Randi never talks about his
failures.

If you make the above claim, please document it.  In fact, I would
like to hear about ANY test that proved the existence of PSI. Just
because there was a report in some journal doesn't prove anything. A
thorough reading of Randi, Marks/Kamman, and the Skeptical Inquirer
demonstrate that.

	I don't say Randi is perfect either. One of these days he is
going to hand over his $10,000. Not because of a real PSI phenomenon,
but because he was fooled. As a concrete example, it is obvious that
the grooves on records appear different on different albums. You can
see changes between quiet passages and loud passages on classical
records.  And there are large differences between rock albums.

	So if the labels were covered, it is easy to identify records
with sight alone. Yet when someone (I forget the name) claimed he
could use his fingers to identify records, Randi was completely
baffled.  He was unable to determine how the effect was done.

To start another subject, I often wonder about the following:

	Suppose PSI phenomena was real.
	Suppose PSI phenomena is by its very nature uncontrollable.
	If it is uncontrollable, it is unmeasurable, and unrepeatable.
	If it did happen, the scientists would ignore it because it
		was not done under controlled conditions.
	If it did happen under controlled conditions, other scientists
		would reject the claim because they could not repeat it.
	Therefore PSI phenomena will never be accepted as real.
--
			Bruce G. Barnett
barnett@ge-crd.arpa, barnett@steinmetz.uucp

Philip@ulowell.UUCP (03/21/87)

[]

In article <5041@shemp.ucla-cs.UCLA.EDU> trainor@CS.UCLA.EDU (Vulture of Light) writes:
>[]
>
>In article "David A. Sheppard" <das@godot.think.com.uucp> writes:
->...
->Scientific American (and in Psychology Today...?)
->...
->A more recent article can be found in March '87 OMNI, pg 90, about
->...

>Pablum for the masses.
>
>	Douglas

As soon as I saw David's posting I had a psychic flash: "some asshole's going
to completely miss the point and dismiss the whole topic just because David
mentioned PT and Omni"

Sure enuf, the very next posting I saw was the one by Douglas, who opened his
mouth (so to speak) and removed all doubt.  ("Better to remain silent and let
others doubt your wisdom...").

Rent a brain, Doug.  One should not place too much trust in mass-mkt mags, but
one can certainly use them as a jumping off place to start searching for more
reliable information.  Some even include specific references to help you get
started (I wish more of them did).

Thanks to David for his posting, and if he or anyone else has more info from
non mass-mkt sources, so much the better.

	- Phil		prs@oliveb.UUCP (Phil Stephens)     {really oliven}
	or, if that fails:	{get to 'nike' somehow, then}!oliveb!prs

Mail welcome, but my mailer seldom cooperates when I try to reply.

mod-psi@ulowell.UUCP (04/03/87)

[]

...!{chinet,rochester}!steinmetz!barnett) writes:

>	As far as I know, positive results in PSI experiments are
>inversely proportional to the amount of controls placed on the
>experiment. In blunt terms, scientists are not qualified to specify
>the controls needed. And the easiest people to delude are the
>scientists who want to show a positive results.

(I do plan on addressing some of his other points -- but one thing at a
time).

This is undoubtedly true, but reflects more on your sources of information
than on the status of parapsychological research. This is something
commonly said by a certain class of critics, and picked up by others, such
as yourself, who rely on them for information.  The supposed justifications
for the statement is based on a massive selective reading of the evidence
and other distortions.

I have twice started a detailed rebuttal and both times it became too long.
There is just too much misinformation behind the statement. It is like
trying to make a sensible response to creationist statements like "No new
species has ever been observed to have evolved".

Fortunately, for the first time in about forty years, a broadly based
textbook of the field of parapsychology has been published.  It surveys the
whole field quite thoroughly and hardheadedly, discussing the strengths
*and weaknesses* of the evidence for psi, the experimental methods, what is
known and what needs to be learned.  Although I don't agree at all times
with the authors' choices of emphasis and opinions, I highly recommend the
book.  Whether or not your opinion about the existence of psi is changed
you will come away from reading this book with a *very* different (and more
realistic) view of the field of parapsychology.

The book is:

	_Foundations of Parapsychology: Exploring the Boundaries of
	    Human Capability_  by Hoyt L. Edge, Robert L. Morris,
	    John Palmer, and Joseph H. Rush.  Published by Routledge &
	    Kegan Paul; Boston, London and Henley.  1986.
	    ISBN 0-7102-0226-1 and (pbk.) 0-7102-0805-7.

You should be able to order it through most general bookstores. I believe
that the cost of the paperback is $22.50.

To cover the significant points briefly (refer to the above book for
details and justifications):

    1) The field of parapsychology grew out of the field of psychical
       research when it was realized (by Rhine) that the investigation of
       spontaneous case material and the claims of self-proclaimed psychics
       would never provide reliable enough scientific evidence for the
       existence of paranormal phenomena.  Such investigations are perhaps
       useful for providing suggestive evidence *about* the nature of psi,
       if it exists, but provide little or no evidence for its existence.

    2) Parapsychologists routinely investigate many people claiming
       exceptional psychic abilities.  The great majority of them are unable
       or unwilling to work under sufficiently controlled circumstances,
       or are found to be fraudulent.  A few survive rigorous enough testing
       to warrant publication in one of the parapsychological journals.  As
       said above, few parapsychologists take such publication as adding
       significantly to the evidence *for* psi.  It is published so that the
       apparent characteristics and limitations of that subjects performance
       can be used as suggestions towards understanding how "strong" psi
       might operate if it exists, and to give other parapsychologists (and
       those few critics who actually pay any attention to the field) an
       opportunity to evaluate and criticize the testing procedures.  When
       evidence later emerges (as has occurred in a handful of cases) that
       subject fraud occurred, this has no effect on the evidence for the
       existence of psi.  It only means that the characteristics of the
       psychics "performance" cannot be taken as reflecting the
       characteristics of "real psi", if it exists.

    3) Nevertheless, a number of psychics (D.D. Home, Eileen Garrett, and
       Keith Harary come to mind off the top of my head) have submitted
       to extensive and varied scientific tests with a wide varieties of
       tight controls, and have never been shown to be "cheating".  They
       have not always succeeded, but their failures have not been shown
       to be particularly correlated with the degree or nature of the
       controls imposed.  This does not, naturally enough, prove that they
       were not fraudulent, but it does contradict Bruce's assertion.

    4) The evidence for the existence of one or more consistent anomalies,
       referred to as psi, rests on literally thousands of successful, well
       done experiments with more-or-less "general" subject populations.
       The controls for these experiments, for the most part, meet or
       exceed the quality of control found in a similar selection of
       experiments from any other field of experimental science.  Despite
       years of trying, the critics have consistently failed to provide
       any meaningful evidence that more than a tiny fraction of the total
       observed effect in these experiments is due to poor experimental
       controls, or that varying degrees of control have much effect on
       the results of those experiments which meet the publication criteria
       of the field.

		Topher Cooper

USENET: ...{allegra,decvax,ihnp4,ucbvax}!decwrl!pbsvax.dec.com!cooper
INTERNET: cooper%pbsvax.DEC@decwrl.dec.com

Disclaimer:  This contains my own opinions, and I am solely responsible for
them.