[net.sf-lovers] Piers Anthony

Lippard.DSOP@SYSTEM-M.PHOENIX.HONEYWELL@sri-unix.UUCP (05/24/83)

Relay-Version:version B 2.10 5/3/83; site harpo.UUCP
Date:Tue, 24-May-83 13:40:00 EDT

From:   Lippard.DSOP at SYSTEM-M.PHOENIX.HONEYWELL (James J. Lippard)

"Juxtaposition" is not in the Xanth series.  It is the concluding volume
of a trilogy (the first two books are "Split Infinity" and "Blue
Adept"). I liked this trilogy better than the last 3 Xanth books
("Centaur Aisle", "Ogre, Ogre", and "Night Mare").

perelgut@utcsrgv.UUCP (Stephen Perelgut) (10/17/83)

Piers Anthony lives in Florida out in the boonies (not too far from the
Gap Chasm) and writes his novels out in the middle of a field in an
unheated shack.  Because of this, he does all his plot outlines in
pencil in his warmer home during the winter months and then types them
all into second drafts and then final versions in this hut during the
warmer months.  Soooo, expect Piers Anthony onslaughts every fall as he
finishes his winter's first drafts.

I know all this from reading the first book in his latest series.  When I
finish it (and it was very tough to put down last night, way past my usual
departure time from the land of the bleary-eyed) I will review it and the
other two recent books.  Probably tonight!  But don't bother waiting, go
out immediately and pay whatever it costs to buy "On a Pale Horse".
--
Stephen Perelgut    Computer Systems Research Group    University of Toronto
	    Usenet:	{linus, ihnp4, allegra, decvax, floyd}!utcsrgv!perelgut

BLARSON@ECLD.#ECLnet (09/09/84)

From:  Bob Larson <BLARSON@ECLD.#ECLnet>

Unlike some other people on this net, I do enjoy most of what Piers Anthony
writes.  Much of it is not worth contemplation or re-reading, but it does
suit my primary purpose of reading SF: entertainment.  My point in writing
this is to recommend two of his books to those of you who have not read them
because of the author.

Bio of a space Tyrant: Vol 1: Refugee  0-380-84194-0 Avon Oct 83 $2.95
Bio of a space Tyrant: Vol 2: Mercenary 0-380-87221-8 Avon Jun 84 $2.95

Not the light entertainment of Piers Anthony's other writings.  A serious
story of how circumstances turned someone into a "tyrant", from the tyrant's
point of view.  Two of the best books in my collection.  Warning: those of
you who want to be offended will be by descriptions of both violence and sex.
Vol 3: Politician will be out eventually.  ("Soon")

Bob Larson <Blarson@Usc-Ecl>
-------

@RUTGERS.ARPA:allred@Amsaa.ARPA (02/06/85)

From: Jeffrey Allred ( RAMD-STU ) <allred@Amsaa.ARPA>

Anyone got any opinions on Piers Anthony?  I think he's
great.  His best work is done with the Xanth series.
Anybody have an up to the day list of his works?

robert@gitpyr.UUCP (Robert Viduya) (02/10/85)

Posted from  @RUTGERS.ARPA:allred@Amsaa.ARPA

> Anyone got any opinions on Piers Anthony?  I think he's
> great.  His best work is done with the Xanth series.
> Anybody have an up to the day list of his works?

I just finished reading his Xanth series last month and I would have to say
it was one of the better science-fiction/fantasy serieses I've read in a
while.  He's got quite an imagination and his sense of humor (levity?) isn't
bad (I especially liked 'Dragon on a Pedestal' in this respect; Princess
Ivy was great in her role as the 'innocent manipulator').

I do have one gripe about the series.  Anthony listened too much to his
readers and went out of his way to stick their puns into his stories
(especially the later books).  I felt they were getting a little out of
hand.

				robert
--
Robert Viduya
Georgia Institute of Technology

...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,masscomp,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!robert
...!{rlgvax,sb1,uf-cgrl,unmvax,ut-sally}!gatech!gitpyr!robert

walker@unc.UUCP (Douglas Walker) (02/13/85)

If you liked Xanth, try his 'Juxtaposition' series: Split Infinity,
The Red (Blue?) Adept, Juxtaposition.

He's also written some more 'serious' stuff - psychological drama, etc.
in the Tarot series (3 books) and also somewhat in the Cluster (4 or 5
books) series.  I've not read his Orn - Ox - Omnivore series, but it
LOOKS like (judging by the cover) more of the Cluster-type stuff.

cmoore@amdimage.UUCP (chris moore) (02/14/85)

> Anyone got any opinions on Piers Anthony?...

I liked the Xanth stuff at first, but after about three books
of bad puns I started to get tired of it.  I finally made it
half way through _Dragon_on_a_Pedestal_ (book five?) and
gave up.

--

"My system is so slow we don't use 'who' anymore - it's faster to
 walk around the building and count the users."

 Chris Moore (408) 749-4692
 UUCP: {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra}!amdcad!amdimage!cmoore

robert@gitpyr.UUCP (Robert Viduya) (02/17/85)

Posted from  walker@unc.UUCP (Douglas Walker)
> If you liked Xanth, try his 'Juxtaposition' series: Split Infinity,
> The Red (Blue?) Adept, Juxtaposition.
>
> He's also written some more 'serious' stuff - psychological drama, etc.
> in the Tarot series (3 books) and also somewhat in the Cluster (4 or 5
> books) series.  I've not read his Orn - Ox - Omnivore series, but it
> LOOKS like (judging by the cover) more of the Cluster-type stuff.

His Orn - Ox - Omnivore series was interesting but it wasn't at all like
the Juxtaposition or Xanth series's.  Orn - Ox - Omnivore was all based
on science, while the other two were based on magic.

O - O - O [I refuse to type that long thing again] covered some interesting
concepts such as fungus based intelligence (mobile too).  However, it's most
interesting concept was the relation of vegetarion/carnivorous/omnivorous
to intelligence.  Read it.  I won't spoil it any further for you.

				robert
--
Robert Viduya
Georgia Institute of Technology

...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,masscomp,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!robert
...!{rlgvax,sb1,uf-cgrl,unmvax,ut-sally}!gatech!gitpyr!robert

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (02/18/85)

[]
Here' an opinion/speculation that's bound to draw flames, flames,flames:

I think Piers Anthony's writing has gone to pot. I believe his first
published material was the "Battle Circle" trilogy (Sos, the Rope, ...etc.)
which I thought was superb, fantastic, even swell. then came the O-O-O
trilogy, good, great, super, but ..not quite as swell. From there its been
all down hill with fantasy and mumbo-jumbo vaguenesses. He seems to be
following the well worn track laid down by his forebears such as Newton
and Herbert. I speculate it's easier to write that mystical trash because
nothing has to synch, nothing has to be worked out in detail, logic is
verboten, anything goes. I tried to keep reading anything Pier's wrote
because of the level of his first six, but I couldn't keep up. He could
grind out the progressively more mindless garbage faster than I could
digest it. This transition wasn't overnight. Sure, the first Xanth book
was clever and funny. Not like what had gone before, but passable. Still,
the third? the seventeenth? ...? Similarly, anyone who could write
Under Pressure (Dragon in the Sea) earned the status of I would read
anything he wrote. But....same comments as for Piers. After I couldn't
bring myself to read the dung books anymore I kept buying them anyway.
But...I've lost count. I couldn't remember how many I would have to have read
before I saw Dung the movie to hope to understand it. Similarly, after
the Principia... I guess mind-rot gets most of us in the end, but not all.
Several held on pretty well until the grim reaper came along. Even, most,
perhaps. Sure, few do as well in their dotage as when they were young
and fiery.Still, with Piers and Herbert I really feel the sense of loss.
I bet they cry all the way to the bank, every day.

--

"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg

morgan@fluke.UUCP (Bruce Eckel) (02/21/85)

In article <917@hound.UUCP> rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) writes:
>[]
>Here' an opinion/speculation that's bound to draw flames, flames,flames:
>
>I think Piers Anthony's writing has gone to pot. I believe his first
>published material was the "Battle Circle" trilogy (Sos, the Rope, ...etc.)
>which I thought was superb, fantastic, even swell. then came the O-O-O
>trilogy, good, great, super, but ..not quite as swell. From there its been
>all down hill with fantasy and mumbo-jumbo vaguenesses. He seems to be
>following the well worn track laid down by his forebears such as Newton
>and Herbert. I speculate it's easier to write that mystical trash because
>nothing has to synch, nothing has to be worked out in detail, logic is
>verboten, anything goes. I tried to keep reading anything Pier's wrote
>because of the level of his first six, but I couldn't keep up. He could
>grind out the progressively more mindless garbage faster than I could
>digest it. This transition wasn't overnight. Sure, the first Xanth book
>was clever and funny. Not like what had gone before, but passable. Still,
>the third? the seventeenth? ...
>
>"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg

Thank God! Finally someone who is as dissapointed with Piers Anthony as I!
I made it through the first Xanth book with enjoyment, and halfway through
the second before I saw his creativity was used on the first and he was just
turning the crank.

But I see so many people reading all of his later books.  As I someday hope
to publish an SF novel myself, I wonder if I have lost touch with the bulk
of the readers.  I remember when I began reading SF (in Junior High), anything
was great.  This lasted quite a while, but in my later years I have become
selective.  Then very selective.  Then positively discriminating. Then
prejudiced.  Hienlien (sp?), for example, I suspect he went through some
sort of spiritual experience and then published "Stranger in a.." and
all the books which followed it, with identical structure, all the action
happening in the first third of the book and the remainder used as a vehicle
for his new, enlightened view of the world which I found Booooring.

Some authors go through this change and get a lot better.  I am thinking of
one in particular but can't remember his name.  Sorry.

Clifford Simak is consistently entertaining, but I always feel
like I know what to expect; as if he is following some very structured
writing formula he learned in college.

All the others.  I have read the "classics" (Asimov, et. al.)  but they
begin to run low.  As I get older and wiser, I suppose, I demmand more
from my authors.  Perhaps this sort of thing will distance me from my
(future?) readers, but perhaps it will also make me a better writer.

The only writers I really admire today (i.e. would like to emulate in
some way) are Gene Wolfe (such strange imagery; what complex human feelings
from a science-fiction character), John Crowley (Little, Big was really
fantasy, I suppose, but the imagery and the vision of (subtle, not
prestitigitatious) magic was so strong for me), and whoever wrote
"Parsival, a knight's tale" and "the grail war."  These people have
style, subtlety and humor which touch my life so much more than
"...he gripped the rope in his teeth, grasped the nubile, buxom maiden
to his side while swinging across the yawning gorge and fingering the
stud on his blaster ..."

Perhaps in the process of changing my world view from the one where
the way to deal with a problem is through aggressiveness to one which
is so different I can't describe it but that's because I'm not there
yet and if I knew what it was it would spoil it anyway,
I am changing what information I can utilize in my world.
Seems simple now that I've said it.

I promise shorter sentences in my books. ( :*) )

		Bruce Eckel
		John Fluke Manufacturing Co.
		Everett, WA

@RUTGERS.ARPA:lionel%eludom.DEC@decwrl.ARPA (02/21/85)

From: lionel%eludom.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (Steve Lionel)

I've enjoyed Piers Anthony's Xanth books, his Cluster trilogy (with a
related book Viscous Circle), the Blue Adept/Split Infinity/Juxtaposition
trilogy, etc., but there's one Anthony novel that surpasses all of these.
It is the first novel of his I ever read, and it was maybe 10 years before
I saw another.  The title is Macroscope and it is awesome.

Macroscope is about a device called a macroscope, naturally, that is
like a telescope except that it sees "macrons", particles that travel
faster than light.  It is discovered that someone is broadcasting a
macronic signal that kills if you watch it.  The story relates the efforts
to solve the secret of the signal, what and who is behind it.  I don't want
to say more for fear of spoiling it, but it is a far more "significant"
piece of work than any of Anthony's I've seen since.  I wish he'd do another
one as good.
					Steve Lionel

chris@byucsa.UUCP (Chris J. Grevstad) (02/21/85)

   Jeffrey Allred:

   >Anyone got any opinions on Piers Anthony?  I think he's
   >great.  His best work is done with the Xanth series.
   >Anybody have an up to the day list of his works?

I disagree about the Xanth series being his best.  I feel that the
Blue Adept trilogy is better, a little less forced (definitely in
terms of puns).  I do enjoy his style in the fantasy genre.  I have
read some of his hardcore sci-fi and I don't care for it.

As for an up to date list, this man is a voluminous writer, so
much so that he could write under a pseudonym much as S. King has
claimed to have done, just so he won't glut the market with
Anthony books.  I coudn't begin to list the numberPof books he has
written.

Speaking of fantasy, a novel I have liked for a long time is
'The Dragon and the George' by Gordon R. Dickson.  Very humorous
look at knights and dragons and magic and such.

--

	Chris Grevstad
	{ihnp4,noao,mcnc,utah-cs}!arizona!byucsa!chris

	If things don't change they will probably remain the same.

barry@mit-eddie.UUCP (Mikki Barry) (02/24/85)

Yes, while the latest (and the not so latest) Xanth stuff is BORING, and
filled with bad puns, not so hot writing and static plots, the NEW Piers
Anthony series (2 out) "Incarnations of Immortality" are quite interesting.

Try them before ruling out Anthony as a casualty.

@RUTGERS.ARPA:Tallan.PA@Xerox.ARPA (02/24/85)

From: Michael Tallan <Tallan.pa@XEROX.ARPA>

I have to add one of my favorite books by Piers Anthony to the ones that
have been mentioned.  "Thousandstar" was one of the first of his that I
read and now, after about a dozen more, still ranks at the top of the
list (along with the Apprentice Adept series, which is also great).
Without my copy of the book at hand I cannot describe it with justice,
but suffice it to say that it concerns a person whose mind is
transported to the body of an alien for the purposes of a quest.  The
alien's mind is still there and the conversations the two have as they
try to understand each other's culture are very well done.  They must
compete with other such pairs on the same quest and along the way
discover that individual friendships can overcome racial fears.  What
makes the book so enjoyable is the inventiveness with which Anthony
creates situations for the characters to get in and out of, the
descriptions of some really strange alien physiologies, and the ways in
which the main pair and several others interrelate.  The whole book is a
joy and I recommend it.

-- Michael Tallan

@RUTGERS.ARPA:nancy@MIT-HTVAX.ARPA (02/26/85)

From: nancy@MIT-HTVAX.ARPA

    From: lionel%eludom.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (Steve Lionel)

    I've enjoyed Piers Anthony's Xanth books, his Cluster trilogy (with
    a related book Viscous Circle), the Blue Adept/Split Infinity/
    Juxtaposition trilogy, etc., but there's one Anthony novel
    that surpasses all of these.  It is the first novel of his I ever
    read, and it was maybe 10 years before I saw another.  The title is
    Macroscope and it is awesome.

I second that message.  Macroscope was one of the novels that turned me
from fantasy to sf.  Great stuff.  Enjoy!

	-Nancy
nancy@mit-htvax

mccann@sjuvax.UUCP (mccann) (02/27/85)

     Along with Anthony's Macroscope, he also wrote a book called Mute, which
is quite different from the others. Basically it is about mutations caused by
space travel and various other things which I can't at the moment remember. None
the less, it was a very good book, well worth reading.
M. McCann

@RUTGERS.ARPA:butenhof%orac.DEC@decwrl.ARPA (02/27/85)

From: butenhof%orac.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (Those who can't do, emulate)

Addendum to Bill Brickman's list of Piers Anthony books:

No mention  was  made  of Anthony's other new series, Bio of a Space Tyrant.
Volumes I and II ("Refugee" and "Mercenary") are available, "Politician" (?)
is  upcoming,  plus, eventually, the 4th volume wrapup. While it's not up to
some  of  his best (e.g., Macroscope), it's quite interesting and definitely
worth reading.

Also, I have heard that there is a 4th "Orn" sequence book, although I don't
know the title and haven't seen it -- I'm not quite sure where he could have
gone  with  the  series  after  OX (and even OX wasn't quite up to the first
two), but if anyone knows what (or if) it is, I'd like to know.

Macroscope is  one of my favorite novels of all time -- it has every element
anyone  could  ask  for  in good sf; interesting, believable characters, who
change  and  grow  throughout  the story, thought-provoking ideas, suspense,
alien civilizations, flute music, ... it'd make a fantastic movie if someone
would  take the time and effort to do it right (which is why I'm scared that
someone might try!).  Anyway, I highly recommend this book!

	/dave

Digital Equipment Corp.
110 Spitbrook Road
Nashua NH 03062

orac::butenhof
butenhof%orac.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
{allegra,shasta,decvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-orac!butenhof

Any resemblance  between  the  opinions  expressed  in  this article and any
actual  opinions,  living  or  dead,  is strictly coincidental and in no way
binding  upon either myself nor upon Digital Equipment Corporation. Besides,
who cares?

``Any sufficiently  advanced  technology  is indistinguishable from a rigged
demo.''

@RUTGERS.ARPA:TIGQC356%CUNYVM.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA (03/01/85)

From: Mark F Rand  <TIGQC356%CUNYVM.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA>

I have also read "ThousandStar" and the Apprentice Adept series.
Both were very good.
Someone out there mentioned the Xanth series as being boring and having
bad puns.. Well, I found the Xanth series fun to read(though there may
have been maybe 20 outright puns per page).  It's always good to be
able to laugh at the story(if the author meant you to laugh).
Has anyone out there read any of the "Spellsinger" series??(Alan Dean
Foster)..These are really fantasy stories, but I found them to be enter-
taining.. The stories have lot's of humor in them(very few puns. humor
comes mostly from situations the main characters get into).

See ya
Mark Rand  (Tigqc356@cunyvm)  (Compuserve 75615,1712)

"May the Farce be with you"
Acknowledge-To: Mark F Rand <TIGQC356@CUNYVM>

muffy@lll-crg.ARPA (Muffy Barkocy) (03/02/85)

I haven't seen any mention of "Prostho Plus" or "Triple Detente," which
are two more humorous books (not counting puns, that is).

				Muffy

psal@othervax.UUCP (03/04/85)

==== < FOR THE LINE EATER > ====

	As an old Piers addict, I note that no-one has mentioned his 'cave'
books, "CTHON" and "PTHOR", nor "HASSAN", an attempt to emulate the style of
"The Arabian Nights."

	I also agree that his earlier work was much better; we weren't
required to repeatedly share the slow and delayed adolescence of some
feeble-minded person going through thier pimply period in public. "SOS
THE ROPE", origionaly serialized in F&SF, won him his first hugo, and I
gree that he hasn't done anything to match "MACROSCOPE." One keeps hoping,
though.

			-C.Thomas Weinbaum von Waldenhal

@RUTGERS.ARPA,@USC-ECL.ARPA:BBISHOP@ECLD (04/25/85)

From: BBISHOP%ECLD@ECLA

Does anyone know when "With Hourglass in Hand" by Piers Anthony will be out
in paperback? (I believe that's the title, or at least close) It's the second
of his current series 'Incarnations of Immortality' and about someone who
gets the job of Chronos, keeper of time, etc. etc. The first book was about
an average Joe in a future world who gets the job of Death and was not bad.
It would have been great if he hadn't preached for so long about euthanasia.
This seems to be the only serious SF that Anthony wishes to write (do NOT
send replies about "BIO OF A SPACE TYRANT" or the Xanth series - I could
flame about those for a month and a half) If you like Anthony's stuff at
all, do yourself a favor and read "Macroscope" or the Cluster 'trilogy' (it's
at four books now, I believe). These blow those punny fantasy potboilers
right out of the water.

     Brian Bishop   <BBISHOP@ECLD>

-------

mr@hou2h.UUCP (M.RINDSBERG) (04/25/85)

> Does anyone know when "With Hourglass in Hand" by Piers Anthony will be out
> in paperback? (I believe that's the title, or at least close) It's the second
> of his current series 'Incarnations of Immortality' and about someone who
> gets the job of Chronos, keeper of time, etc. etc. The first book was about
> an average Joe in a future world who gets the job of Death and was not bad.
> It would have been great if he hadn't preached for so long about euthanasia.
> This seems to be the only serious SF that Anthony wishes to write (do NOT
> send replies about "BIO OF A SPACE TYRANT" or the Xanth series - I could
> flame about those for a month and a half) If you like Anthony's stuff at
> all, do yourself a favor and read "Macroscope" or the Cluster 'trilogy' (it's
> at four books now, I believe). These blow those punny fantasy potboilers
> right out of the water.

The book has  not come out in paperback yet, but I check every week
at the two local bookstores (WB & BD). I don't know when they should
be coming out.
Also the name of the book is "Bearing an Hourglass"

						Mark

willard@spock.UUCP (Bill Brickman '88 ) (05/03/85)

  The book is _Bearing_On_An_Hourglass_, I believe. It has come out in
paperback somewhere, but not in any store I have been in. I hope it is
better than the first one.

By the way, does anyone have any opinions on Elizabeth Scarborough ? I
have read all of her Song of Sorcery series and am now reading
The_Harem_Of_Aman_Akbar. I hear she is coming out with another Song of
Sorcery series book about Bronwyns's baby. Is this true ?  If it is,
could someone tell me when it's coming out ?

Thanx,
Willard 'n' the rats

"I am a wha--? Oh, yes, so I am." -- Aster ( Elizabeth Scarborough )

fox@daemen.UUCP (Merlin) (05/03/85)

   The book is already out in paperback.  I to can't remember the name
offhand but I have seen it in several bookstores here in Buffalo.
Sooner or later I'll find the money to actually BUY it.

                         Merlin

UUCP : {decvax, dual, rocksanne, watmath, rocksvax} !sunybcs!daemen!fox

           To dream the impossible dream ........

--
UUCP : {decvax, dual, rocksanne, watmath, rocksvax} !sunybcs!daemen!fox

         This computer doesn't know what it's doing