[net.sf-lovers] The Last Question

@RUTGERS.ARPA:Bakin.SSID@HI-MULTICS.ARPA (05/01/85)

From: Jerry Bakin <Bakin@HI-MULTICS.ARPA>

 >  The recent query about stories with computers reminded me of one I
 >  really enjoyed several years ago. I don't remember title or author,
 >  but it seems that it was on the line of short-story, novelette,
 >  length.
 >
 >  The story was a series of vignettes taking part at various points in
 >  man's history, starting with the computer era and ending (or
 >  re-beginning) after the universe had run down from entropy. All that
 >  was left at that time was a computer which had evolved to the point
 >  that it existed as pure energy.

This was "The Last Question" by Isaac Asimov.

The reason the computer existed (I think it was Multivac), was to answer
a question:  "Can entropy be reversed.""".

The answer?

Read the story!

Jerry.

mwm@ucbtopaz.CC.Berkeley.ARPA (05/03/85)

[I see the fnord's.]

In article <1849@topaz.ARPA> @RUTGERS.ARPA:Purtill.SIPB@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA writes:
>I think Asimov thinks this is his best short story (or at least at one
>time did).

You have sadly underestimated the chutzpah of the good doctor. He
doesn't think it's his best short story, he thinks it's *the* best sf
short story.

Where did he say that? I don't know - nor do I have time to dig through
his published works to find it. If you get insistent enough, I may try,
though :-).

	<mike