[mod.music.gaffa] Andy Partridge and company

FULIGIN%UMass.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA (Peter E. Lee) (08/04/86)

Sue Trowbridge writes :

>... Actually, Animal J.[Jesus] and Swami A. [Ananda Nagara] are both
> Andy Partridge!

     Actually, Swami Ananda Nagara is John Leckie (although Andy IS Animal
Jesus).  Andy also produced a couple of tracks for Dr. and the Medics under
the Animal Jesus name (welll before they became popular, don't worry...)
which I haven't had a chance to hear yet.  The newest Andy Partridge rumour
(gathered from the Jazz Butcher, who I got to talk to on his current US tour)
is that Mr. Partridge is in fact one of the Residents.  Apparently they are
a revolving group of artists of whom he is sometimes one.  It's definate that
he was on 'The Commercial Album', and if you've heard his stuff on 'Go +'
and 'Take Away/The Lure Of Salvage' it's not too hard to believe that he
might take to stabbing ducks in his spare time.  Butchie apparently gathered
this while Andy was producing the Woodentops - The Butcher and Rolo have been
friends since childhood and tend to hang out together alot.  (The world of
alternative pop seems to be a small one indeed!).
     Incidentally, Swami Ananda Nagara (Leckie) also produced the Adult Net's
"Incense and Peppermints" remake.
     Has anybody heard anything new about the new XTC album?  Last I knew,
it was April and they were going into the studio with Todd Rundgren;  I
haven't heard anything since...
     Final notes :
     The Housemartins' album 'London 0 Hull 4' is fantastic - buy it.
     CBS records should be releasing both The The's 'Sweet Bird Of Liberty'
and Bill Nelson's 'Getting The Holy Ghost Across' (under a different title)
domestically at some point this month.  Of course, the imports have already
been out for months - but why should American audiences care how long they
have to wait for stuff to be released?
     Frank Tovey's "Snakes and Ladders" (now out domestically) is okay, but
nothing to really write home about - one or two pretty good songs followed
by lots of imitiations of them.  (He used to be called Fad Gadget for those
who didn't know).
     "Back From The Rains" by Eyeless in Gaza is another disappointment.
The band seem to have decided that they can make more money by being more
'poppy'/accessable and the sound has suffered.  Although one or two cuts are
quite pretty, the rest just sort of sits there, daring you to pay attention
to it.
     Dead Can Dance should have a new EP out this fall.  Apparently it is
a move farther from the idea of 'songs' and closer to orchestral and or
chamber music.

                                   Space Antlers,
                                   -Peter E. Lee
Fuligin%UMass.bitnet@wiscvm.arpa

---

"This is Partytime!  And you've got to know it's better than a war.
 This is partytime!  And it's better than a cold bath with someone you
      dislike..."
                                          -The Jazz Buther, Partytime