[mod.music.gaffa] The Exegesis of Kate Bush

gjerawlins%watdaisy.waterloo.edu@RELAY.CS.NET ("Gregory J.E. Rawlins") (09/05/86)

Hello,
    I am an old fan of KB (from late 70's) and i just happened to
tumble to the existence of love-hounds. Has anyone compiled a
collection of interpretations of what her songs are about?? I have a
analysed a few of them myself but many are still sealed books to me.
Most of the following classes of songs are easy to decipher: the
literary songs (Wuthering Heights, The Man With the Child in His Eyes
etc.), the anti-war songs (Army Dreamers, Breathing etc.), the famous
females/persons songs (With This Kiss etc.) and political commentary
(The Dreaming etc.). However, i recently saw a note about Cloudbursting
intimating that it was Reich as told by his son ("...your sun's/sons's
coming out..."). Is this true?  What other songs have deep (or any)
meanings??
	Please help!!
		  greg.
----------------
gjerawlins%watdaisy@waterloo.csnet         1-519-884-3852 Gregory J. E. Rawlins
gjerawlins%watdaisy%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa       CS Dept., U. Waterloo
{allegra,decvax,inhp4,utzoo}!watmath!watdaisy!gjerawlins  Waterloo, Ont. N2L3G1

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (09/05/86)

> From: Gregory J.E. Rawlins:

> I am an old fan of KB (from late 70's) and i just happened to
> tumble to the existence of love-hounds. Has anyone compiled a
> collection of interpretations of what her songs are about??

Hey, maybe I should write a book interpretting all of Kate's lyrics!
I wonder how big the market would be...  Eh, no problem -- just fill
it up with lots of sexy photos...

I have written essays on some songs: "There Goes A Tenner", "Suspended
In Gaffa", "Cloudbusting", "Jig of Life", etc., and something on the
common threads throught the album *The Dreaming*.

> I have a analysed a few of them myself but many are still sealed
> books to me.

I've read lots of interviews with Kate and have thought about most of
her songs in a bit of detail.  I could probably give a reasonable
explanation of any of her songs.

> i recently saw a note about Cloudbursting intimating that it was
> Reich as told by his son ("...your sun's/sons's coming out..."). Is
> this true?

Absolutely!  The song is based on the book *A Book of Dreams*, which
is by Peter Reich, the son of Wilhelm Reich.

> What other songs have deep (or any) meanings??

I've yet to find a Kate Bush song without depth!

			-Doug

"And if I ever look into your open eyes again
 I'll remind myself to stare
 Until I'm looking through your eyes"