[mod.music.gaffa] Virgin Prunes redux & Synth Wipeout Music

earle@gorbag.UUCP (09/06/86)

The Haufbrau speaketh:

>I saw that Touch and Go, a minor good-natured independent out
>of the Detroit area but moving to New Jersey, has two Virgin
>Prune LP's added to it's catalog - for the stunning price of
>six buckeroos postage paid (if my memory serves me well - and
>if anyone knows my memory it's ain't too stiff) in case anyone
>was a Princess Tinymeat completist - Earle sez they're godhead
>and now you kin check it out sans high import prices, kay?

And thus did he (almost) speaketh the truth ...

In fact, considering the insidious `Import Ban' me & Sue T. have been
talking about, you probably couldn't get these 2 records from overseas
if you tried ...

Anyway.  Touch & Go, in association with Baby records (the Prunes' current
label, they license out to the record company - previously it was New Rose
in France), has recently released the new Virgin Prunes LP and 12" single:
	`Love Lasts Forever' Pts. 1 & 2  12"	Baby 004/Touch & Go T&G #15
	`The Moon Looked Down And Laughed'  LP	Baby 005/Touch & Go T&GLP #9

The verdict:
	Buy the 12".    Evokes fond memories (at times) of Prunes past.
	Avoid the LP.   The current VP lineup consists of Gavin Friday (voc),
			Strongman (bass), Mary (drums?) and `Pod' (gtr?).
			The first three are holdovers from the last great
			Prunes lineup, but unfortunately they have since lost
			Guggi (voc), Dik (gtr), and Dave-ID Busarus (narrator,
			voc), although Dave-ID makes a vocal appearance on
			1 track.  The biggest problem is loss of Dik, who was
			the lynchpin of the whole sound (if anyone ever hears
			`Heresie', you'll know what I mean).  The album as
			a result is very musically `thin'.
The Princess Tinymeat tie-in here is that Bintii (real name Haa Lacka Bintii)
was the percussionist for the Prunes in their early stages, before the
release of the `If I Die, I Die' LP.

>From: hsu@uicsrd.CSRD.UIUC.EDU (Tsun-Yuk Hsu)
>Subject: Cab Volt etc.

>In case you somehow missed John Hogge's multiple announcements in net.music,
>the Midwest cultural event of the year is still Live Skull and Savage
>Republic at Mabel's, Champaign Illinois. Here's one Savage Republic that
>Greg Earle might not make! Be there or be <fill in your favorite insult>.

Actually, after the last SR gig I witnessed, that might not be all that bad
	:-(
All the rough edges that made them so wonderful way back when are getting
sandpapered out awfully fast.  Can you say `50 Grit'?  Can you say `polished'?
Can you say `professionalism'?  Sure, I knew you wish you couldn't ...

Apparently they are touring the Midwest w/ Live Skull because the dates
they tried to book for themselves (as part of national tour) weren't selling
well :-(.

Anyhow, I am happy to announce that if the following event transpires anywhere
in the Midwest, then the `cultural event of the year' will most certainly
NOT be Live Skull/Savage Republic ...

	Concert Event Of The Decade (I KID YOU NOT)

	Severed Heads / Skinny Puppy  (on the *same bill*)
	Coming to a venue near (or maybe not so near :-() you
	this fall - tentative date for Los Angeles is DECEMBER 9th.

Yep, you heard it here first.  The two premiere Synth/Noize/Damaged/Industrial
groups in the world are coming for yer throats, and I am supremely confident
that they will make you cognizant once and for all of the extreme weenieness
of Cab Vol, Ministry, et al. other lame pretenders to the throne.

This information is courtesy of Nettwerk Productions, Vancouver B.C.
which is SH/SP's North American label.  By 9/8, I should have TOUR DATES
(but not venues) which I will post here and to wank.musack.
If you aren't too patient and you'd like the same info for yourselves,
you can call Nettwerk at (604) 687-8649 [like my wife did today, and found
that the Nettwerk guy couldn't hear her cuz both Skinny Puppy and Severed
Heads were in the room with him blabbing]

Now I can't say "Talk to me in 6 months when you've caught up with me
and are finally listening to Severed Heads instead of weenie rot" 'cause
now you'll all have a chance to get a speed learning course ...

You have been warned ...