[net.sf-lovers] CYCLE OF THE WEREWOLF/Berni Wrightson

boyajian@akov68.DEC (05/07/85)

> From: "pugh jon%g.mfenet"@LLL-MFE.ARPA

> I just purchased a copy of Stephen King's book, _Cycle_of_the_Werewolf_.
> This is a new edition of a book that appeared only in hardcover and it is
> beautiful!  Berni Wrightson did the illustrations in both color and b&w.
> Truly one of the best illustrated books I have seen in years.
>
> If you read _National_Lampoon_ then you may have seen some of Berni's
> work.  He did a parody of the TV show _Bewitched_ in witch Sam and Endora
> were real witches, complete with human sacrifices and sex magic with demons.
>
> Berni has also done a lot of SF artwork, although his leanings are toward
> the horror realm.  I have a portfolio of his interpretation of Edgar Allan
> Poe's works that is quite stunning, especially _The_Cask_of_Howeveryouspellit_.

Actually, while I liked some of them, I was a tad disappointed by the
illos in CYCLE (the black & white ones are nice, but the color ones are
a bit too garish. If you want to see some *outstanding* illustrations by
Wrightson, pick up a copy of the edition of Mary Shelley's FRANKENSTEIN
from Dodd, Mead (and in 8-1/2X11 trade paperback from Marvel Comics ---
but it's *not* a comic book) that he illustrated. The man continues to
amaze me with his talent.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA