[mod.music.gaffa] New stuff: ... / Joe Jackson

tim@brspyr1.UUCP (Tim Northrup) (09/25/86)

> >> Joe Jackson  "Big World"
>
> >> Started out brilliantly, a fusion of his early guitar-based energy and
> >> later musical sophistication, but lost me somewhere along the line.
> >> I'll have to listen to it some more (just got it today) to really be
> >> able to grok its fullness.  (Love the DDD sound, tho.)
>
> The best part about this album is the environment in which it was
> produced.  Jackson held several unannounced (more-or-less) concerts
> across the country, and attempted to make the album by taking down the
> music live at the concert.  All fine and good, except he kept shushing
> up the audience ...
>
> Saw 'im in New York,
> -- Henri / <henry@athena.mit.edu>

The way I heard it, all shows were done in New York.  Several rehearsals
were done to get the mixes down before the shows were put before a live
audience.  When the people came into the auditorium for the show, they
were handed a handwritten note (or copies) asking them to keep absolutely
quiet until each song was completely finished.  All songs, if I remember
rightly, except for "Man in the Street" which was recorded during a
rehearsal session, went straight from the stage onto the master digital
recording, and I believe no mixing took place after the shows.

The sound quality stands up quite well against "Body & Soul", which
I think is also DDD.

 Tim Northrup		(518) 783-1161

 BRS Information Technologies			...!ihnp4!dartvax!brspyr1!tim
 1200 Route 7					...!seismo!rpics!brspyr1!tim
 Latham, NY  12110				tim@brspyr1.UUCP

======== INSERT STANDARD DISCLAIMER FORM 43Z892-BXY/86.3 HERE =============

"Yes, it's spelled `Luxury-Yacht',
 but it's pronounced `Throat-Warbler Mangrove'!" -- MPFC

henry@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Henry Mensch) (09/26/86)

>> The way I heard it, all shows were done in New York.  Several rehearsals
>> were done to get the mixes down before the shows were put before a live
>> audience.  When the people came into the auditorium for the show, they
>> were handed a handwritten note (or copies) asking them to keep absolutely
>> quiet until each song was completely finished.  All songs, if I remember
>> rightly, except for "Man in the Street" which was recorded during a
>> rehearsal session, went straight from the stage onto the master digital
>> recording, and I believe no mixing took place after the shows.

None of this is true; he held some of these shows in Southern New
Jersey (for Philadelphia fans), in Boston, and in other places.  As
part of one of his New York audiences, I can say that we didn't know a
THING about the fact that he was taping his music live.

I don't think a performer has a right to inflict such bullshit on an
audience; if he wanted to have quiet he should record in a studio.

-- Henry / <henry@athena.mit.edu>

jordan@UCBARPA.BERKELEY.EDU (Jordan M. Hayes) (09/26/86)

	From: Henry Mensch <henry@ATHENA.MIT.EDU>

	>> When the people came into the auditorium for the show, they
	>> were handed a handwritten note (or copies) asking them to keep
	>> absolutely quiet until each song was completely finished.

	I don't think a performer has a right to inflict such bullshit
	on an audience; if he wanted to have quiet he should record in
	a studio.

The last time I saw Joe (body-n-soul) there were a few times he was
singing with no music, and Graham Maby shushed the audience, because
they were screaming "play look sharp!!" ... sometimes Joe just wants to
sing.

	-- Henry / <henry@athena.mit.edu>

WOW! Henry -- you didn't sign "Henri" ...!!!

/jordan

ps: by the way, does anyone know if Joe and Graham are lovers?
    enquiring minds want to know!

eric@cbmvax.UUCP.UUCP (09/26/86)

In article <8609252035.AA01456@THESEUS> henry@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Henry Mensch) writes:

>>> The way I heard it, all shows were done in New York.  Several rehearsals
>>> were done to get the mixes down before the shows were put before a live
>>> audience.  When the people came into the auditorium for the show, they
>>> were handed a handwritten note (or copies) asking them to keep absolutely
>>> quiet until each song was completely finished.  All songs, if I remember
>>> rightly, except for "Man in the Street" which was recorded during a
>>> rehearsal session, went straight from the stage onto the master digital
>>> recording, and I believe no mixing took place after the shows.
>
>None of this is true; he held some of these shows in Southern New
>Jersey (for Philadelphia fans), in Boston, and in other places.  As
>part of one of his New York audiences, I can say that we didn't know a
>THING about the fact that he was taping his music live.
>
>I don't think a performer has a right to inflict such bullshit on an
>audience; if he wanted to have quiet he should record in a studio.

I saw Joe Jackson in January in a suburban Philadelphia niteclub.  The
audience here was not given any notes, but Joe repeatedly asked for
quiet.  I think this just made the audience more unruly.  I don't think
that any of the recordings he made that day ended up on the final album.
He set was comprised of all the new stuff as well as some old favorites.

The cocert was so electrifying that my friends and I weren't too upset
about Joe's request for quiet.  The club was small, the tickets were cheap,
the seating was great, and Joe had the place on fire!

	Eric Cotton

"My nipples explode in delight."
/*====    UUCP: {ihnp4|allegra|seismo|pyramid!amiga}!cbmvax!eric      ====*/
/*====    ARPA: cbmvax!eric@seismo                                    ====*/