[mod.music.gaffa] "It's a test, designed to provoke an emotional response"

FULIGIN@UMass.BITNET (Peter E. Lee) (10/18/86)

>From: ebm@ingres.berkeley.edu (Grady Toss)

>> 2)  I taped our station copy of the Severed Heads' "Come Visit The Big Bigot"
>> about a week after we got it (quite a while ago now) and I find it creeping
>> into my walkman with frightening regularity.  I am not familiar with any of
>> the band's previous material however.  Any recommendations from the SH fans
>> out there as to what else I should hunt down by the band?
>
>My first recommendation is that you hunt down a copy of "Come Visit the Big
>Bigot" and BUY IT.  Or maybe just send a dollar or two to the Severed Heads
>directly.

     I probably will buy it eventually, BUT...
1)  I am a DJ.  Simply playing the band's music on my show brings it to
an audience that has been reasonably estimated to be several thousand
people, many of whom might not otherwise have heard it at all, and some
of whom will probably be intrigued enough to buy it.  (In fact, I have
gotten calls specifically about the Severed Heads by people asking about
where to find the LP, because they had heard several cuts from it on my
show over the course of several weeks).  The record was sent to our station
in hopes that the program director would listen to it, like it, and program
it so people would hear it, appreciate it,  and buy it.  Since I program
my own show, I consider myself it's program director.  In taping the LP,
I give myself a chance to become better acquainted with the music and to
see where it will fit in.  Playing the record, I think, provides a much
greater service to the band than simply buying it.

2)  I don't have an infinite amount of money to spend on records (if only
I did...)  As is, I spend an average of $20 per week on records that I
can't find at the station or that I really want, or that look like they
might be good.  To find more good, new music I also periodically sign out
our production studios and tape interesting looking/sounding new releases.
This lets me hear music I might not otherwise have found (the Severed Heads,
fr'instance), and having a tape to play on my walkman (I'm thinking of
having it surgically implanted, but I'd have to spend my record money on it,
so it's not too likely) lets me get acquainted with stuff I might have
dismissed on the first listening.
     In summary, the records were sent to the station for the DJ's to get
acquainted with.  By playing a record on my show, I am doing far more for
the band than simply sending them the 5 or 10 cents in royalties that they
probably recieve for each copy sold.  And finally, I always end up
buying my own copy of the records that I REALLY like, and at the moment I'm
likely to spend a good deal of money on the other pieces of the SH catalog
that people have so kindly recommended...

    To Sue - I already have my tickets for the Woodentops' Boston show -
I got them as soon as I found out about the gig.
     It's at the Paradise on October 29th (a Wednesday) for those Boston
area Love Hounds who didn't already know.  Tickets, as I recall, are $7.50
and it promises to be a great show, so be there!
     Also, buy tickets now for Shriekback w/ Love and Rockets at the Metro
November 6th.  (Under-age Shriekback fans can see them the next night at
the UMass Amherst Blue Wall, but I don't know about L&R).  Oh yeah, The
Lucy Show will be playing next door at Spit on the 6th as well...

                          Funk pop a roll consumes my soul,
                                     -Peter

Fuligin%UMass.bitnet@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
-----

"Life is a minestrone, served up with parmesan cheese.
 Death is a cold lasagna, suspended in deep freeze."
                                         -10cc