[mod.music.gaffa] Elvis Costello mainstream????!!!

KNIGHT@MAINE (Michael Knight) (10/23/86)

Hofmann writes:
>                          Crawford lists Elvis Costello, the Who and
>other mainstream rock acts as his influences.

Flame on!!!

Elvis is one of the last people I'd accuse of being mainstream. Sure he
had a big hit with Punch the Clock, but that's the only really big album.
If he were really mainstream, you'd hear more stuff of his on the the
comercial top-xx stations. Course I don't listen to that drivel any more
than I have to so maybe I'm missing it. Doubt it though. I've been a
Costello fan since '78 so I think I know what I'm saying. He has much
more of a cult following than anything else.

Mainstream? Be real.

Next thing I know you'll be calling Peter Gabrial mainstream, speaking
of which I got tickets to the 11-21 concert in Worchester. Just barely.
I've heard from some friends that it sold out and they booked a second
show for Saturday 11-22 for which they got tickets. Guess it's just the
price of success. Hope he plays some stuff from 'The Lamb lies down on
Broadway'; it should really flip out the tender braincells of the lollie-
pop preppie yuppie types who're going, but who haven't heard any of
Gabrials 'other-stuff'.

Flame off...

Michael Knight

'Enter the world of man, who does not exist...' The KnightRider.

rps@apollo.UUCP.UUCP (10/26/86)

> Next thing I know you'll be calling Peter Gabrial mainstream, speaking
> of which I got tickets to the 11-21 concert in Worchester. Just barely.
>
> Michael Knight

I think this pretty much says it all.  Yes, anyone who plays in the Worchester
Centrum (in such company as Lionel Ritchie and Twisted Sister) isn't exactly
doing fringe pop music.

--

"I am the son and the heir
 Of a shyness that is criminally vulgar"

Rob Stanzel             ARPA:  rps%apollo@eddie.mit.edu
Apollo Computer         UUCP:  ...{decvax!wanginst, mit-eddie}!apollo!rps
-------