[mod.music.gaffa] "Odds and Ends, Odds and Ends...

hofmann@NRL-CSS.ARPA (Jim Hofmann) (10/30/86)

    ... lost time is not found again"

> From: J. Peter Alfke <alfke@csvax.caltech.edu>

> I hear of the existence of a U.S. compilation of their earlier stuff, called
> "Well Well Well".  Haven't found it yet.  Is it easily available?

I've seen it at our version of Tower Records (Record Theatre) here in Baltimore
It's at a pretty nice price, too.

> (And what DOES the new 12" sound like?  I can't imagine Adrian Sherwood
> producing them, after hearing what he did to Ministry.  Woulda got it but
> ran outa bux after getting the new CTwins.)

Having just heard the flip side, I can't say I'm too impressed.  It didn't
have the verve and originality of "well, well, well" (Anyone notice the
Dr. Who references in that song?)...

Another neat thing you'll notice about the 'tops is the names of their
songs are all stolen (though the songs are not) and it's always neat to
try and figure out where the names came from (I think there was a Bronkski
Beat song called "Well, Well, Well")

-=-=-=-=-=-=

> From: Bob Krajewski <lmi-angel!rpk>
> Subject: Costello, Mainstream, Theories

> Agreed, but it was ``back to'' to the way things used to be (or the way he
> though they used to be).  He wasn't going to build everything back from the

Is this a case of semantics or what?  My Markovian Chain theory upon which I
base my driving philosophy about the world sez that the next state is only
affected by the previous state, all states before it are superfluous.  What
was it Bukowski said about history?

> If you're not a cool pop theorist, Hofboyy, then why do you HAVE to review a
> tape from a band from Idaho ?  Either you're getting paid or you're driven
> by those cool pop theorist urges.

The reviews are performed gratis for a mag called Sound Choice which if it would
catch on would be the death of "cool pop theorists" livelihood.  I am not
getting paid but I'm being driven by perhaps an "uncool" pop theory?  Urges?
Hmmm...your not in league with Dr. Sigmund Krantz, are you?  Does this mean I'm
still a pseudo-mastubatory-retro-nasty punk?  Aw, damn.

From:  Howard Blore the DeeJay Bore...

>See, this is why nobody on net.music likes you guys.

Gee, like I don't think I can ever go out in public anymore...

"I had a hard time waking this morning/ I had alot of things on my mind /
 like those friends of yours who keep bringing me down..." - Dylan