[mod.music.gaffa] ln

LODEN@LL.ARPA (10/31/86)

Excuse me for butting in , but ...
(I'm not on the LH mailing list nor on our ITS-OK-TO-BE-ON-THE-ARPANET
list - any personal mail can be sent to the ARPA addr.: KELNER AT LL )

BOSTON AREA QUERY :
     1. Adventure Set EP - Does anyone know where I might have
                           slighty more then a snowball's chance
                           in hell of getting a copy ? ( seeing
                           that is out of print )

GENERAL QUERY :
     1. the new THE THE album - is it out yet ?

RESPONSE :
     >Date: 29-Oct-1986 0929
     >From: juitt%ultra.DEC@decwrl.DEC.COM                                    y.
     >Subject: The Bolshoi
     >
     >Finally heard the "new" the The single a few days ago.
     >Heartbreak something or other.  It sounds like Matt
     >is taking a run at the charts himself.  The refrain
     >is "This is the 51st state of the USA".  Well, Matty
     >old boy, sounds like you've joined the flock too.
     >I'm scared to get this album now, maybe I should just
     >keep Soul Mining close to my heart and call it a day.

     >Dave Juitt

I couldn't agree more. I regret Mr. Johnson is no more immune than
anyone else. It seems as though the musicians' half-lives are
steadily becoming shorter ( perhaps as communications become
better and more immediate (?) ). In the last 20 years or so, the
'general' decline has from a few 'good' albums to a couple 'good'
albums to 1 'good' album to 1 'good' song. With the exception of
various exceptions, most new artists cannot sustain the-original-
something-special-ness-that-initially-drew-us-to-them for very long.
(i.e. 'joining the flock' much too quickly) Hell, even the Dead
Kennedys put out a remixed version of Holiday in Cambodia so that the
words were more discernable (bad form in my opinion)! Well, so much
for remaining pure and undaunted by the hand of capitalism.

'Get it while you can 'cause it ain't gonna be there when you wake up.'
                                                     J.Joplin

Tom Loden