[mod.music.gaffa] Wimpy Pop Guitar Music

ins_aset@jhunix.BITNET.UUCP (11/04/86)

>     I just saw the Woodentops live last night (Paradise theatre, 10/29/86)
>and they were fantastic!  They were tight, energetic, showed and incredible
>range of styles, and left me quite impressed.

Hmm, just my luck -- their biggest fan ends up seeing them on the night
they had the flu!  Foo.

>GENERAL QUERY :
>     1. the new THE THE album - is it out yet ?

No.

>From: Greg Ward <gtward%wateng.waterloo.edu@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
>Subject: Info wanted on groups/Bill Nelson

>Can anyone give me information on the following groups? Discography, history,
>members, etc. would be nice.

>    A Certain Ratio

A Certain Ratio is a very cool band.  I saw them opening for New Order,
too.  I have loads of records by ACR (as they prefer to be called now)
but not the complete collection, so I couldn't post a thorough
discography, but I could recommend some.

Their early records are much more experimental and less "funky" than
their later stuff.  They became a heavy funk band when Simon Topping
(the horn player) left.  Recommended:

"Flight" b/w "Blown Away" and "And Then Again" 12" (with Topping)
"To Each..." LP (with Topping)
"Sextet" LP
"I Need Someone Tonight" 12"
"Wild Party" 12"
"Life's A Scream" 12" (my fave)
"Brasilia" 12"

They just released a new 12" called "Mickey Way," but it's something
you can live without.  Buy "Life's A Scream" instead.  Oh yes, all of
the above are on Factory records.  And make sure you avoid "I'd Like
To See You Again," which is hopelessly lame.

>From: elroy!smeagol!earle@csvax.caltech.edu (Greg Earle)
>Subject: Re: Skinny Puppy/Severed Heads Tour Cancelled?  Wot?

>Sue, where DID you get this idea that it was cancelled??
>Inquiring minds wanna know ...

Calm down Greg.  I just found out yesterday that the concert was
not cancelled, it was simply MOVED from the 9:30 to the Roxy.  Not
too surprising.  Bands do not seem to like playing the 9:30.  (Enter
name-dropping mode) Mark E. Smith of the Fall told me he never wants
to play there again.  Bad management etc.

>Woodentopzzzzzzzz?

>>Followed by Throwing Muses, Peter Gabriel, R.E.M., That Petrol
>>Emotion, Anna Domino, The Housemartins, James, and Red Lorry Yellow Lorry.
>Hey, I still say `The Unacceptable Face Of Freedom' and `Atomizer' shreds
>over all of `em ... oops!  where DID I put that Tao ... :-)

I lived for nearly a year with a guy whose favorite bands were Mark
Stewart and the Maffia, Skinny Puppy, early Cabaret Voltaire, Laibach,
Current 93, Whitehouse, Test Dept, Einsturzende, etc.  If there's one
thing I learned from it, it's that I like WIMPY POP GUITAR MUSIC AND I'M
PROUD OF IT!!!!!  (sorry, I'll calm down now.)   So at least you can't
say I haven't given these bands a chance, because I have.  Boy, have I
ever.  "To thine own self be true."  Just because I prefer WPGM doesn't
mean that I don't trot out my Severed Heads and CabVolt records from
time to time, though...by the way, if that other Greg (gtaylor) is out
there, I bought "Mystere des Voix Bulgares" on your recommendation, and
I love it.  Bulgarian folk music is in!!!

As promised...THE WOODENTOPS DISCOGRAPHY
Minor caveat: I only have the 12"s.  As far as I know, all of their singles
are available in 7" and 12" format, though.

12" SINGLES
-----------
"Plenty" b/w "Have You Seen The Lights"/"Everybody"
        Food Limited Records, UK, SNAK 002, 1984
"Move Me" b/w "Do It Anyway"/"Steady Steady"
        Rough Trade, UK, RTT 165, 1985
"Well Well Well" b/w "Get It On"/"Cold Inside"
        Rough Trade, UK, RTT 167, 1985
"It Will Come" b/w "Special Friend"/"Plutonium Rock"
        Rough Trade, UK, RTT 169, 1985
"Good Thing" b/w "Travellin' Man"
        Rough Trade, UK, RTT 177, 1986
"Everyday Living (extended mix)" b/w "Why (extended mix)"
        Rough Trade, UK, RTT 178, 1986

ALBUMS
------
"Straight Eight Bushwacker" -- 6 tracks, all previously available on 12"
        Megadisc Records, Netherlands, 1985
"Well Well Well" -- 8 tracks, all previously available on 12"
        Upside Records, US, UPX 60003-1, 1986
        TRACK LISTING: "Move Me," "Get It On," "Do It Anyway," "Steady
        Steady," "Well Well Well (long version)," "It Will Come,"
        "Special Friend," "Cold Inside"
"Giant"
        Rough Trade, UK, Rough 87, 1986
        Columbia Records, US, 1986 (with different cover)
        TRACK LISTING: "Get It On," "Good Thing," "Give It Time," "Love
        Train," "Hear Me James," "Love Affair With Everyday Livin',"
        "So Good Today," "Shout," "History," "Travelling Man," "Last
        Time," "Everything Breaks"

7" DOUBLE PACK
"Everyday Living" b/w "Why," "Move Me" b/w "Well Well Well"
        Rough Trade, UK, RT 178D, 1986

There ya go.  Now go out there and collect 'em all!!

-Sue