[mod.music.gaffa] The final word on JD bashing ??

wicinski@NRL-CST.ARPA (wicinski) (11/11/86)

>Really-From: Susanne E Trowbridge
>  <ins_aset%jhunix.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>

>>From: wicinski@NRL-CST.ARPA (wicinski)
>>Subject: Re: More JD bashing

>Ooh, yeah, I'm so fuckin hip.  My mouth is sore from givin all those
>blow jobs.  Your so much cooler than me that I just can never hope to
>be that cool so why should I even try.  Actually, if I was only
>interested in having the latest "wavo hip college music," I would own
>everything by the Huskers and the Minutemen, wouldn't I?  I mean, you

nope, not at all. to have "hip wavo college music" all you have to have
is 1) an attitude and 2) reviews of bands that used words "accessible"
"maturing" and "jangly".  that's hip wavo college music.

>make it sound as if I just consult the CMJ or Rockpool Top 10 each
>week, and that's how I decide which records to buy -- so I can own
>whatever the "hip" college radio music is.

sounds like you do anyway.

>the airwaves anymore with my idea of what "hip music" is.  Also, if I
>was only interested in the pursuit of "hip," I wouldn't have been
>listening to my ABBA records last week...

WRONG.  everyone within hunderds of miles knows that Tesco Vee (of
Meatmen fame)  would KILL for Abba picture disks.  He's been littering
the pages of Farced Exploiture for months with his warblings on how
"hip" Abba is.

>I love it when you show your ignorance, wicinski.  I have explained this
>before.  JD is not the pop music editor of the Post.  He works for a
>guy called Richard Harrington.  A couple times a week, Richard calls JD
>and tells him what to review.  He wanted the SST package for last week
>because several of those bands were playing in town.  JD NEVER DECIDES
>WHAT RECORDS TO REVIEW.  HE GETS ASSIGNMENTS.  Got that through your
>thick skull?  He doesn't even read the Times.

yea, but I never brought up JD in the first place, hofmann did.  I just
use him as an example of the typical case: writers who take themselves
too seriously.  You, ms. trowelhead, are a PRIME example of this.  You
take yourself so damn seriously that its laughable. and it makes you a
prime target for abuse.

>I know what I like.  I don't care what label it's on and how trendy it
>is.  I liked the Woodentops loooong before anybody on these shores had
>ever heard of them or played them on college radio.  Who are you to
>tell me what's real underground and what's socially acceptable
>underground?  Do you drop bands when they become socially acceptable
>because you're too fuckin' cool to listen to them when WCVT and WHFS
>start playing them?  I refuse to let anybody dictate my musical tastes,
>and I refuse to allow them to be ridiculed.  I'll listen to Flipper
>followed by Throbbing Gristle followed by Peter Gabriel followed by
>Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam if I want to, and you can say what you want,
>I don't care.

OHH, ohh, how many band names did you drop there, likes like six bands
there, aren't we a big name dropper.  how impressive.

"Sucking dick."  Do I detect a subtle theme throughout this posting?

>Okay, so my best friend's a rock critic.  I'm tired of having to defend
>him from hofmann and wicinski, so you may consider this the last word on
>the subject, from J.D. himself.  Now can we pleeeease go back to our
>regularly scheduled discussions on Kate and good new music?

there is no such thing as good new music.

>To Wicinski and Hofmann:

And this is priceless....

>often is (is Mr. Wicinski's fascination with "sucking dick"
>reflective of some deeply repressed desire, or is it simply an
>attempt to emulate street language?), the discussion itself is

JD goes from "rock critic" to "psychologist" in one swoop. my my aren't
we the all around intellectual ?

>A) I know more about music, on all levels, than they; or

I can laugh at this, right ?  Why should someone have to know MORE about
music ??

>B) I am usually right.

0 for 2, isn't he ? Ask JD if he actually saw Gone, and are they Bob
Fripp revisited.  (I can drop names too dudes) I've talked briefly to
both people in question (Bob and Greg Ginn), and they nothing alike.
completely different parts of the spectrum.  Gone is a band of
deadheads.

>I therefore suggest that they lay off Sue, and confine their
>whingeing to the "Post"'s letters page, like real men.

I try, but the people refuse to print my letters. so there

>It says that the station's program director must have a smidgen of
>good taste.

or that maybe these bands are becoming more "accessible"

I'd rather use terms that deal with genitialia delight than to use the
common terms of "accessibility" "maturity" and so on.  these terms say
little.

and suesy, tell mr. constantdime that I DO enjoy some of his better
reviews; in fact I still have a copy of the Bolshoi's review he wrote.
It's hanging on my wall as an example of what a GOOD review looks like
from him (about the "Giants" lp).  Tell him to write more like that.

a final word : stop taking yourself so seriously and maybe you'll see
what the real reason behind all of this JD bashing is...

And I am forwarding this to the major source of pain for everyone...the
big man in Boregon.  Maybe you and JD can match my sorid wits, but not
his...