[mod.music.gaffa] ARRRRGGGGHHH!! More rumors quashed

earle@jplpub1.UUCP (Greg Earle) (11/11/86)

Paul Kirsch [who I respect - this is not a flame] writes:
>	I recently have been reading several reviews of different Slacks LP's --
>well I thought I'd mention that the band is history -- they broke up after
>returning from their European tour ...

NO NO NO!!  ARGGH you people are trying to give me a coronary :-)

The Slacks have NOT I repeat emphatically NOT `broken up' - what has happened
is that after the European tour Matt decided he wanted to think about going
on because he got real burned out from it, so he stayed in Europe with his
girlfriend for a while after the tour finished.  At this point he is still
not sure what his plans are; he is an artist and wants to pursue that avenue
more in the future.  SO at this point Matt's status is up in the air, but
John and Bobby have no intention of splitting the Slacks, they might replace
Matt with somebody else if he bags them (and maybe add extra people).  Currently
they are on hiatus, and Warner Bros. is hot on their trail.  I have been in
touch with John Young, their manager Bobby Startup and tour manager David
Wildman so I think my information is a BIT more reliable ... (we are trying
to set up an L.A. show for them so I *should* know these things)

To give you an example, originally Savage Republic was supposed to open for
the Durutti Column (who were pretty cool - show was last night), but they
were replaced in favor of the Abecedarians.  Rumor Central had it that the
reason for the switch was because Savage Republic had `broken up' (see,
there's that combo again).  Well last night I put the rumor to Mr. Savage
Republic himself, Bruce Licher, who said "No, actually we're just taking a
break to rethink things - rumors of our untimely demise are greatly
distorted"

Well, Club Nichtophobia has come and gone, and Where Were You?
Kudos to !reeves and !trainor for showing up and bringing quite a few
people in tow, razzes to !srt and !kyle for wimping out :-) BUT
where were the rest of you local Cum-Mounders, eh?  You could have gotten
out of your dorm rooms and broken that routine of wanking off to your KB
picture disks, but NOOOOO .....

It's time to go home so I'll save my vitriol for later.  Don't try to
reply directly to this because nobody's name server knows who the hell
this machine is ...