[net.sf-lovers] Digest V10 #147--Language

@RUTGERS.ARPA:ALDERSON@SU-SCORE.ARPA (05/08/85)

From: Rich Alderson <ALDERSON@SU-SCORE.ARPA>

From: milford!bill@topaz.arpa (bill)

>I feel that it is different from Vance's _Languages_of_Pao_ or
>Watson's _Embeddings_ in that not only is the environment changed by
>the change in language but the psyche of the users. That's why I
>mentioned Chomsky et al, who I thought maintained that language
>structures mirror structures in the human psyche (brain?). So a
>woman's language would imply a different built-in structures(?).  It
>reminded me rather more of James Tiptree's "The Women That Men Don't
>See" in which women just trade one alien environment for another.

>A whole raft of tangents can be set off of from this, which might
>belong in other groups like net.nlang or net.women.

This can certainly move to other lists; unfortunately, I have no access
to Usenet, so will miss any further discussion.  Therefore, I will put
in my own last two cents' worth, and let it go.  Anyone who wishes to
correspond directly is welcome!

Chomsky's theory was (he's changed his mind in recent years) that the
underlying structure of human language was due to an innate device in
the brain (NB:  NOT psyche).  Since "brains is brains," there would be
no difference in said structure among ANY human languages.  Differences
in SUPERFICIAL structure are of interest to linguists because they
provide further evidence for the nature of the underlying structures,
known as linguistic universals, common to all human languages.

The Whorf Hypothesis is the thing that says that world-view is created
by the language learned--psychological molding of the type you seem to
be discussing.  (I am at a disadvantage here--I haven't read _Native
Tongue_ yet, though I have read Ms. Elgin's earlier _Communipath
Worlds_.)  This was PRECISELY the point of Vance's book--warriors
learned a language heavily based on fighting meta- phors, so that they
were BETTER warriors, and so on.

I think this is a little turgid, but I hope everyone sees the point I am
trying to make.  Thank you for your indulgence.

						Rich Alderson@Score
-------