[mod.music.gaffa] Regarding some trivia

nessus.UUCP@mit-eddie.UUCP (11/08/86)

> where did this netgroup come from anyway?

Once upon a time, there was a sic little puppy who posted gobs and
gobs of stuff about Kate Bush to net.music.  And some people in
net.music got so upset and raised their voices so loud, that the puppy
formed a mailing list called "love-hounds".

>   Here are the questions:

>	(1) Where did Kate first appear in the US?

Saturday Night Live.

>	(2) Which songs did she perform in that appearance?

"The Man With The Child In His Eyes" and "Them Heavy People".

>	(3) Who was it that brought her along for that appearance?

Eric Idle.

What do I win?

-Doug

Love-Hounds-request.UUCP@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (11/17/86)

Really-From: Ed Simpson <evs%duke.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>

Newsgroups: mod.music.gaffa

Here is my question: is it possible to get a video tape of Kate's
Saturday Night Live performance?  Was that 1978?

I heard there is a new Peter Gabriel single coming out with Don't Give Up
on the A-side and Peter's re-mix of Excellent Birds (Laurie Anderson) on
the B-side (he's calling it something else - the title slips my mind).

{decvax, seismo}!mcnc!duke!evs
Ed Simpson, P.O.Box 3140, Duke Univ. Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710

Love-Hounds-request.UUCP@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (11/22/86)

Really-From: William LeFebvre <phil@rice.edu>

>Ed Simpson <evs%duke.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET> said:
> I heard there is a new Peter Gabriel single coming out with Don't Give Up
> on the A-side and Peter's re-mix of Excellent Birds (Laurie Anderson) on
> the B-side (he's calling it something else - the title slips my mind).

The exact title is "This is the picture (excellent birds)".
I.e.: "excellent birds" is the subtitle.

You people may already know this, but here is another piece of info.
regarding "Excellent Birds":  Gabriel's version (mix) can be found on
the 9th track of the CD release of "So", even though the song does not
appear on the vinyl.  I heard a rumor that it also appears as the last
song on the cassette version, but who ever buys those anyway?

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>

Love-Hounds-request.UUCP@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (11/22/86)

Really-From: wicinski <wicinski@nrl-cst.arpa>

>appear on the vinyl.  I heard a rumor that it also appears as the last
>song on the cassette version, but who ever buys those anyway?

I DO !! and I'm damn proud of it.  If anyone wants to find music created
in a real basement or a real garage (instead of a studio made to sound
like a garage) or music that will never be melody maker acceptable, then
check out cassettes.  Their are bunches of cassette only labels, and
labels which deal primarily in cassettes.

Sure nobody buys cassettes of major labels cause the quality is so bad
(i.e., non real time duplicating), but most of the other stuff is better in
quality.

and on the other front:

sounds like IED is making noises for covering up for the fact that kate
is pushing out different mixes of dance singles.  for some reason kate
has this effect on gay male english majors and I can't understand it.

while doug's whining about getting mail complaining about the
sue/tim/jim debate, I was getting a bunch of mail that was the only
interesting thing happening in love hounds.  They all had suggestions,
mainly along the lines of "Put a gag in her mouth and set the bitch on fire."

blah

Love-Hounds-request.UUCP@mit-eddie.UUCP (11/22/86)

Really-From: Kathy Morris <morris@navajo.stanford.edu>

In article <339.phil.titan@Rice> William LeFebvre <phil@rice.edu> writes:
[discussion about 'This is the picture']

>regarding "Excellent Birds":  Gabriel's version (mix) can be found on
>the 9th track of the CD release of "So", even though the song does not
>appear on the vinyl.  I heard a rumor that it also appears as the last
>song on the cassette version, but who ever buys those anyway?

Ok, I'll admit it: I bought the cassette version of SO.  CD players are
a bit out of my price range...  not to mention the cost of CDs (I'm
only a grad student, after all).  Normally I buy the record and tape it
(for my own use, of course :-).  Given the variety of music available
on cassettes compared to that available on CD, I'd rather have a good
tape deck than a CD player.

[BTW, the cassette does contain the extra track]

	Kathy Morris
	(morris@navajo.stanford.edu; ...!decwrl!glacier!navajo!morris)