[net.sf-lovers] Star Wars

LRC.HJJH@UTEXAS-20.ARPA (01/13/84)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ STAR WARS Revisited ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jawa baby-talk?  Well, as a linguist I couldn't help having certain
elements in the alien languages jump out at me.  One was the mis- (or
extremely loose) translation given for Greedo's.  The word "Jabba", an
obvious foreign lexical item in his speech where it occurred once,
appeared \twice/ in the subtitles.  It was the only analysable
element.  I fared better with Jawaese, however, in being able to
recognize a whole sentence, "Ut-dee-dee!", a 2nd person imperative
with semantic component of movement.  Roughly, "Get moving!" It can be
heard 3 times, usually addresses to R2, as in the scene at the Lars
moisture farm when the droids are told to get out of the hold of the
Sandcrawler.

But...  Good grief!  Even a year ago I could still have told Jeff
Bowles where the English writing was, without a moment's hesitation.
(On the tractor beam mechanism Obi-Wan turned off?)  But, as of May
25th, 1983, \I/ got so badly turned off that I'm even giving up the
D.VADER personal license plates I've had since '78!  (Am contemplating
getting SF-LOVR for '85 when NASFiC is here, to celebrate meeting
people who have contributed so much pleasure via my VDT.  Y'all come!)
-------

abh@ccivax.UUCP (A. Hudson) (06/05/84)

FLAME -

Jacob,
    Do you REALLY think that we care what your personal opinion of
Star Wars is? Especially so many years after its imminent release?
Geeze - I just can't help thinking that's its a little presumptuous
on your part, ya know?

    Now if you want to write up a little review of that
boring but expensive Star Trek sequel that just came out, I'd
be pleased to read it and let you know whether the rest of us think its
'a good post'. I'll base my judgement on the criterion in
/usr/spool/news/etiquette, of which I have my doubts that you have read.

--
					Andrew
	...{rlgvax | decvax | ucbvax!allegra}!rochester!ritcv!ccivax!abh

"From the ever cycling epicenter of Rochester...."

charles@uw70 (Bad Charles) (03/26/85)

For Star Wars fans in the Seattle area:  Tickets will go on
sale at 1200, Thursday, 28 March 1985 at the UA-150 theater
for the Star Wars trilogy, ALL THREE FILMS, for the price of
$10.00.  70 mm and Dolby stereo!  Movies start at 1600.  One
day only.

                             Charles Camisa
			     Geophysics Department
                             University of Washington

@RUTGERS.ARPA:jpa144@cit-vax (04/17/85)

From: jpa144@cit-vax (Jens Peter Alfke)

>> from jpa144@cit-vax (me) :
>> What do you all think of the Strategic [oops] Defense Initiative?

>  from Ron Singleton (rsingle@bbncct):
> JPA, I respectfully suggest this discussion should be in "net.armaments"
> or some other suitable vehicle.  It is not that the readers of this
> digest wouldn't be interested, just that the subject doesn't seem
> appropriate for the purposes of this digest as I understand it.

Mea Culpa.  You are indeed correct.  I still, however, have an interest
in how SF people feel about this topic, so let me rephrase:

If you have an opinion on the SDI, or an opinion about opinions on the
SDI, etc., feel free to send <ME> (not sf-lovers) a short note expressing
your feelings. (Try to keep it short: the file system I live on is getting
full!)  Afterwards, I might send a short summary to sf-lovers.  Mr.
Singleton and the others who wrote to me are correct: the discussion
should be kept off of this digest.

					--Peter Alfke (jpa144@cit-vax)
"We only wanted to be loved" --PiL

geo@genat.UUCP (George Swan) (05/05/85)

When I was thirteen I read James Blish's "Cities in Flight"
novels.  I really enjoyed them.  For those of you who haven't
read them, he did a really good job of making everything seem
reasonable.

There was only one thing in those novels that stretched my credulity
to the breaking point.  I could accept gravity generators that were
able to pick up whole cities and send them shooting across the galaxy,
I could accept drugs that made you live forever, the one thing I
could not accept was an ex-hollywood movie star becoming president
of the United States of America.

chabot@miles.DEC (05/09/85)

  genat!geo
> When I was thirteen I read James Blish's "Cities in Flight" novels.  I really
> enjoyed them.  For those of you who haven't read them, he did a really good
> job of making everything seem reasonable.
>
> There was only one thing in those novels that stretched my credulity to the
> breaking point.  I could accept gravity generators that were able to pick up
> whole cities and send them shooting across the galaxy, I could accept drugs
> that made you live forever, the one thing I could not accept was an
> ex-hollywood movie star becoming president of the United States of America.

Or, as our man Flint said incredulously to the ZOWIE women telling him of their
so-far pretty successful attempt to take over the US (their scheme included
kidnapping the president and replacing him with a look-alike):

		"An *ACTOR* for president!!"

Sigh.  I think we were all wiser 20 years ago.  :-)

L S Chabot  ...decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-amber!chabot   chabot%amber.dec@decwrl.arpa