[mod.music.gaffa] KUKL, and more...

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (12/10/86)

Really-From: ranjit%cory.Berkeley.EDU@BERKELEY.EDU (Ranjit Bhatnagar)

Newsgroups: mod.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: KUKL - and more

>Really-From: hogge@p.cs.uiuc.edu (John Hogge)
>I'm talking about their "Holidays in Europe" LP and their (self titled?) EP,
>probably their only releases.

I thought I'd heard that name (KUKL) so I looked in my pile of old cassettes-
turns out there's an album called "The Eye" which I recorded off of KALX
years ago - and eventually erased.  But unless I got it wrong, there _is_
another album to look for.

OK - just what IS that thing in the photo on the back of "The Whole Story?"
It looks like it might really be something.

Random Band of the month: Batang Frisco - intrigued by the name, I picked it
up.  I just put it on the turntable so as to describe it.  Off to a bad start,
with boring rhythm and ordinary synthesizers, but it gets more interesting.
The rhymes and melody are vaguely reminiscent of the Residents.  Other than
that, I can't describe.  Synth organ reminds me of Meredith Monk.

Any suggestions for what to do with a sound sampler?  (Besides the obvious.)

Inspired Album of the month: Scott Johnson's "John Somebody."  Restored my
faith in the human race.  Well, anyway, it's fun to listen to.

Observation: Danielle Dax' album covers are so beautiful, I might actually
buy an album.  What is the music like?

	enough-
	-Ranjit

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (12/10/86)

Really-From: seismo!rochester!ur-tut!huds (hudson)

With regards to KUKL, is this an import band from the CRASS label??

There is a very good Icelandic band of something close to that spelling.
The driving force to KUKL(e), Thaert, and a couple other 2-album
groups was also involved in a calaborative effort with the half
of Killing Joke. Two members quit the band and left civilization
for Iceland hoping to escape a pending nuclear holocost.
Things didn't work out, the Icelanders felt the Jokers where manipulative
and deceitful and deported them from the country.

For collectors - the only Icelandic tunes available are through
the CRASS catalogue.

Art Dog

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (12/11/86)

Really-From: hogge@p.cs.uiuc.edu (John Hogge)

>Really-From: ranjit%cory.Berkeley.EDU@BERKELEY.EDU (Ranjit Bhatnagar)
>>Really-From: hogge@p.cs.uiuc.edu (John Hogge)
>>I'm talking about their "Holidays in Europe" LP and their (self titled?) EP,
>>probably their only releases.

>I thought I'd heard that name (KUKL) so I looked in my pile of old cassettes-
>turns out there's an album called "The Eye" which I recorded off of KALX
>years ago - and eventually erased.  But unless I got it wrong, there _is_
>another album to look for.

Sorry, you're right.  "The Eye" is the EP (there is no self-titled EP).

Someone else just wrote asking "what is this KUKL stuff".  From local record
store: "Experimental positive punk led by female vocalist; ex members of
Iceland's Pur-Kurr Pillnick (unsure of spelling).  -good-"  And good it is
indeed.  Unusual stuff with strong (but not overly loud in mix) vocals &
strong lyrics, usually delivered in "rap" with sentual feel, possibly because
it's cold in Iceland.  Music is experimental rock with a looney, tense,
almost circus-like atmosphere.

--John