[mod.music.gaffa] Kate-echism III.xii.12

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (12/12/86)

Really-From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.LOCAL

>From: Neil Calton <nbc@vd.rl.ac.uk>
>
>Actually, 'Castaway', which opened this year's London Film Festival,
>was directed by NICHOLAS ROEG ( Man Who Fell to Earth, Insignificance,
>Bad Timing etc.) and NOT Ken Russell! However, Russell did direct
>the film 'Gothic' which closed the London Film Festival!

Well, thanks again, Neil, for the info. Either
IED misremembered what he'd read in Variety about
the director, or Variety got it wrong (less likely).
Sorry. Anyway, we all know how much Kate respects
Roeg (since seeing "Don't Look Now"), so the
connection, if it does indeed exist, is still
understandable.
Thanks for the review of "Don't Give Up". Have
you anything to say about the "Experiment IV" film?

>Subject: Thing on the back of The Whole Story
>...our heroine jumps on the
>machine, produces thousands of cubic feet of clouds and everybody
>lives happily ever after (once it starts raining).  Beautiful video.
>
>                        Dan Vanevic

It certainly is beautiful, Dan.
But the ending is hardly happy. WR was taken
away from his son and died ignominiously in prison, which is one of
the main reasons Peter had to write the book in the first place.
The moral victory of the Reichs in Kate's film is all the more
poignant because we know that in fact they were both the losers in
the game. And let's not forget that the "Cloudbuster" was much, much
more than a rainmaker... NOTHING in Kate Bush is simple.

>No.  She could get kind of silly every now and then, but what do you
>expect from a 20 year-old girl?
>
>        |>oug

No, IED can't even let this one get by (isn't he a pain?!)"Silly"?
"SILLY"???!!! Besides, twenty years old in Kate years is twenty thousand
to us mortals.