[mod.music.gaffa] Nancy's friend's first Kate-echism

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (12/20/86)

Really-From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU

> I happen to think you {Kate} miss a few
> times in Running Up That Hill, especially near the end when the
> "other noises" come in; your usual adeptness at orchestration flags
> there (Elvis wouldn't have missed on that one).  Anyhow, it was
> okay.

ELVIS???!!!
This is a worse word to use in conteKsT
than "silly" was!
ELVIS???!!!

Seriously, though, Kevin... If, as IED assumes,
you are referring to Elvis Costello,
and you are comparing Kate Bush's
voice unfavourably to his,
then you still have something to learn
about the basics of vocal style. Let's use this
Costello character as a working example,
since you brought him up.

Whether Costello has talent or not is
more or less irrelevant in this
case. The point here is that the musical
range of Costello has always been
severely limited by the specificity and rigidity
of his voice. Despite frequent attempts
to alter his vocal style and timbre, he
inevitably sounds like himself, and, as
a result, his stylistic changes fail to
make any substantive difference in the music.

Kate Bush, on the other hand, has what one might call
a kind of "Rorschach" voice: the actual
physical vocal timbre of her voice is
quite classic and pure -- a less flattering
way to describe it would be "anonymous".

The reason Kate's character is usually
very recognizable in her singing is
due entirely to her intentional departures
from conventional vocal inflection.
Her singing on "My Lagan Love" and
"The Handsome Cabin Boy" are proof
of the affinity that Kate's voice has
to pure (or traditional) female
vocal sounds. Never has Costello
produced a vocal sound that transcended
the narrow range of his ideosynchratic self.

This is why a description of Kate's
voice as "shrill" is so shortsighted
and inaccurate. Where shrillness occurs in
Kate's singing, it is because shrillness is
applied by Kate deliberately to
specific notes, phrases and songs
in order to express the emotional
content that is appropriate for
the music. But her vocal instrument
is self-LESS -- it is timeless and
perfect.

To put it another way,
Kate's voice is to Costello's
as a Stradivarius is to a banjo.
the former is the product of centuries
of cultural refinement, honed to a
level of finish that defies the mundane
plane of our mortal existence; the
latter is a crude, innately vulgar
contraption fashioned over a few years
of rustic sub-culture, incapable of
escaping its own limited range of sound,
and ultimately reflecting nothing except
itself.

> I think the real thing I meant about your voice is this: if you just
> put on one of your songs in a random room, the effect is dissonance.

This is something to be proud of! Kate Bush's music is not
supposed to "sound nice" in the background! If you're not
ready to listen with all your heart and mind to her music,
and stop whatever else you might want to be doing -- and
above all, if you're not ready to play her music LOUD --
then you might as well not play it at all. You can't follow
the aesthetic sense behind the dissonance in Kate's music if you're
only playing it at normal volume and giving it only partial attention.

> The sound of your voice is grating and unpleasant GIVEN THE
> EXPECTATION ONE HAS THAT AUDIBLE MUSIC WILL BE ORGANISMICALLY
> APPROPRIATE.

Your mistake, Kevin, is in approaching Kate's music with "expectations"
of any kind. Especially if those expectations are that audible
music (what other kind is there?) be "organismically appropriate,"
a meaningless term if ever there was one.

-- Andrew Marvick

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (12/21/86)

Really-From: kyle@CS.UCLA.EDU

>Date:    Fri, 19 Dec 86 14:27 PST
>From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
>Subject: Re: Nancy's friend's first Kate-echism (III.xii.19)
>
>Seriously, though, Kevin... If, as IED assumes,

WHy the hell do you refer to yourself in the third person?

>Despite frequent attempts
>to alter his vocal style and timbre, he
>inevitably sounds like himself, and, as
>a result, his stylistic changes fail to
>make any substantive difference in the music.

And who/what does Kate sound like?  I've been able peg her everytime I heard
her.

>Kate Bush, on the other hand, has what one might call
>a kind of "Rorschach" voice: the actual
>physical vocal timbre of her voice is
>quite classic and pure -- a less flattering
>way to describe it would be "anonymous".

I see she sounds like a "nobody".  You said it not me!

>To put it another way,
>Kate's voice is to Costello's
>as a Stradivarius is to a banjo.
>the former is the product of centuries
>of cultural refinement, honed to a
>level of finish that defies the mundane
>plane of our mortal existence; the
>latter is a crude, innately vulgar
>contraption fashioned over a few years
>of rustic sub-culture, incapable of
>escaping its own limited range of sound,
>and ultimately reflecting nothing except
>itself.

And what does a Stradavarius reflect?  You're starting to sound like
an Ethno-centric European.  You know Hitler would have agreed with you.

>Your mistake, Kevin, is in approaching Kate's music with "expectations"
>of any kind. Especially if those expectations are that audible
>music (what other kind is there?) be "organismically appropriate,"
>a meaningless term if ever there was one.
>
>-- Andrew Marvick

Andy, I'll have to agree with you here.  One should not listen to her music
with expectations, but rather with reservations.

Joe Slime

CO:	kyle@zeus.cs.ucla.edu

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (12/21/86)

Really-From: nessus (Doug Alan)

> From: kyle@CS.UCLA.EDU

> And who/what does Kate sound like?  I've been able peg her everytime
> I heard her.

Kyle, Kyle, Kyle....  There's a lot that could be argued with in
almost any of IED's postings, but you've found nearly none of it and
have decided to just rant instead.  It is clear what IED has been
saying.  To paraphrase, Kate's voice is a pure, versatile instrument
which she often plays with a distinctive style.  Elvis Costello's
voice, on the other hand is a distinctive, limited instrument.

> And what does a Stradavarius reflect?  You're starting to sound like
> an Ethno-centric European.  You know Hitler would have agreed with
> you.

Almost a glimmer of point here!  Amazing.  I still think it would be
safe to say that a Stradavarius is a more versatile instrument than a
banjo.

> Andy, I'll have to agree with you here.  One should not listen to
> her music with expectations, but rather with reservations.

And why's that Kyle?

[Enter IED Mode]

Your entire posting is indicative of the lack of reasoning and
expressive abilities that is so typical of those who malign Kate Bush.
In the future postings, please try to exhibit some of those properties
that separate us humans from the lower life forms.

[Exit IED Mode]

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (12/22/86)

Really-From: kyle@CS.UCLA.EDU

>> And who/what does Kate sound like?  I've been able peg her everytime
>> I heard her.
>
>Kyle, Kyle, Kyle....  There's a lot that could be argued with in
>almost any of IED's postings, but you've found nearly none of it and
>have decided to just rant instead.  It is clear what IED has been
>saying.  To paraphrase, Kate's voice is a pure, versatile instrument
>which she often plays with a distinctive style.  Elvis Costello's
>voice, on the other hand is a distinctive, limited instrument.

OK, I have a question for you, which is a more versitile instrument?

	a) a guitar
	b) a drum

The answer in my opinion is very dependent on what one values in an instrument
and one's personal cultural experiences.  Are you going to tell me that the
only valid way to evaluate these instruments/voices is relative to Classical
European culture?  Take a few moments to consider before you answer.

Now, think about Kate VS. Elvis.

>> And what does a Stradavarius reflect?  You're starting to sound like
>> an Ethno-centric European.  You know Hitler would have agreed with
>> you.
>
>Almost a glimmer of point here!  Amazing.  I still think it would be
>safe to say that a Stradavarius is a more versatile instrument than a
>banjo.

My point is that they are entirely different instruments and such direct
comparisons do not prove anything.  In addition, I would say that you have
been taught to think of a violin as a "better" instrument than a "banjo".
AN insturment (or voice) should NOT be judged only in relation to its
application to Classical Music.

>> Andy, I'll have to agree with you here.  One should not listen to
>> her music with expectations, but rather with reservations.
>
>And why's that Kyle?

Because I find her voice quite annoying at times!

>Your entire posting is indicative of the lack of reasoning and
>expressive abilities that is so typical of those who malign Kate Bush.
>In the future postings, please try to exhibit some of those properties
>that separate us humans from the lower life forms.

I have NEVER maligned Kate Bush (I own quite a few of her albums), so why
do you accuse of such.  She is an interesting "artist" and I like SOME of
her work.  What relation is there between my comments on IED and my
appreciation of Kate's work?

And just what qualities do you think I should exhibit?

	Must I refer to myself in the third person?
	Worship before the "perfect" Kate?
	Speak only in glowing tones about Kate?

My we are sensitive!!

Joe Slime