[net.sf-lovers] The Canonical SF collection

gjerawlins@watdaisy.UUCP (Gregory J.E. Rawlins) (05/11/85)

In article <234@spar.UUCP> freeman@max.UUCP (Jay Freeman) writes:
>Add to recommendations of recent good SF:
>
>David Brin's _Sundiver_;
>Frederick Pohl's Heechee triology -- _Gateway_,
>    _Beyond_the_Blue_Event_Horizon_, and
>    _Heechee_Rendezvous_;
>Dean Ing's _Systemic_Shock_ and _Single_Combat_;
>John Ford's _The_Final_Reflection_
>
>-- Jay Reynolds Freeman (Schlumberger Palo Alto Research)

    A couple of years ago net.sf-lovers ran a poll of the "best"
SF which i found very useful in rounding out my SF collection.
Unfortunately these crazy authors have not stopped publishing
good stuff and being only human i can't read all the new
material. What i propose is an update to bring the Canon up to
date. Please send me **mail** if you have a group of books to
recommend; i shall collate the books with the highest number of
votes and post to the net in about a month's time (depending on
response). I strongly recommend mail responses since as we all
know things get a little heated when people post the "best" thing
since sliced bread. The books aren't necessarily restricted to
the very recent since presumably there are people who haven't
picked up all of the classics and would be interested in at least
hearing about them. If anyone has an electronic copy of the last
such poll please mail it to me (i only have a hard copy). Thanx.
		greg.
--
Gregory J.E. Rawlins, Department of Computer Science, U. Waterloo
{allegra|clyde|linus|inhp4|decvax}!watmath!watdaisy!gjerawlins

gjerawlins@watdaisy.UUCP (Gregory J.E. Rawlins) (05/11/85)

    I forgot to include a proviso in my last posting (about
preparing a canonical list of SF). Here it is.
    If you're going to send in recommendations please include the
book's classification (hard science, fantasy, S&S, historical
etc.) and a short note explaining why you think it should belong
in such a collection. Books without such information will still
be included but they'll be placed under "miscellaneous" if i
myself am not familiar with them. Thanx again.
		greg.