[net.sf-lovers] ATTACK OF THE KILLER TOMATOES

@RUTGERS.ARPA:DP0N@CMU-CS-A.ARPA (01/17/85)

From: Don.Provan@CMU-CS-A

Saying that "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" is the worst SF movie ever made
is a bit like saying "Airplane" is the worst disaster film ever made.
"Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" is a *spoof*, and pretty damn funny one,
too.  "The Wizard of Mars" and "Plan 9 from Outer Space" are funny because
they're so bad, not because they try to be funny.  "Attack" is an entirely
animal.

@RUTGERS.ARPA,@MIT-MC:MDC.JANICE@MIT-OZ (04/15/85)

From: Janice <MDC.JANICE%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA>

I can't believe this cropped up on a worst sf movie list again.  It
was a JOKE, people -- a hack on the typical monster movie.  Come on,
already.  It wasn't the funniest movie ever made, but it did have its
moments.

				Janice
-------

ph@wudma.UUCP (04/20/85)

> I can't believe this cropped up on a worst sf movie list again.  It
> was a JOKE, people -- a hack on the typical monster movie.  Come on,
> already.  It wasn't the funniest movie ever made, but it did have its
> moments.
>
> 				Janice

	As I understand it there are TWO "Attack of the Killer Tomatos"
	movies; one made in the fifties which was more or less serious
	(so I hear--I've never seen it), and one made during the
	seventies which was definitely parody.  Probably the one being
	nominated was the older one.
						--pH
/*
 *	"Pardon me for breathing, which I don't do anyway so I don't
 *	know why I bother apologising for it, oh GOD I'm so depressed."
 */

goldman@umn-cs.UUCP (Matthew D. Goldman ) (04/23/85)

I loved it!

@RUTGERS.ARPA:boyajian%akov68.DEC@decwrl.ARPA (05/11/85)

From: boyajian%akov68.DEC@decwrl.ARPA

[Catching up on old SFL's...]

> From: wudma!ph@topaz.arpa

> As I understand it there are TWO "Attack of the Killer Tomatos"
> movies; one made in the fifties which was more or less serious (so I
> hear--I've never seen it), and one made during the seventies which
> was definitely parody.  Probably the one being nominated was the
> older one.

What you understand is utter hogwash. There is only *one* AotKT, and
it is definitely a parody. There is a scene in it in which a Japanese
scientist talks, with a bland American voice on the soundtrack and the
lip-sync totally off. I can't believe that anyone could see this and
think that the movie was trying to be serious.

On the other hand, despite that fact that it is a parody, AotKT is a
very poorly-made film, and probably deserves to be put on a bad-film
list. It's still a scream to watch though.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

<"Filmography is my pastime">