@RUTGERS.ARPA:jpa144@cit-vax (04/09/85)

From: jpa144@cit-vax (Jens Peter Alfke)

Someone in #115 (I'm sorry, but I forget who; I still haven't figured out
the UNIX mail command, so I don't have the Digest lying around on my screen)
asked about the soon-to-be rerelease of Philip Dick's _In_Milton_Lumky_
_Territory_.
Quickly dredging out my copy of _Philip_K._Dick:_In_His_Own_Words (Gregg
Rickman; Long Beach CA, Fragments West/the Valentine Press, 1984), a fantastic,
indispensable work for anyone `into' Philip Dick :

	GR: It is my understanding that you quit writing for a year in
	1960-1961 out of frustration that your best works weren't being
	printed -- your mainstream, literary novels, like _Confessions_of_
	_a_Crap_Artist_.  Did you have other mainstream novels you were
	trying to sell?

	PKD: Would you believe 13?  Some as long as 600 pages.  Slave labor.
	. . . Most of those were written around the time I started selling,
	like 1951, '52, '53.  Most of them are really fairly early.

	. . .

	PKD: _In_Milton_Lumky_Territory_ -- that's about a salesman, by and
	large a rehash of Arthur Miller's _Death_of_a_Salesman_, which had
	influenced me enormously ideologically.  The whole thing "attention
	must be paid to this man," that fitted my ideology exactly, that
	was completely how I felt.  There was great dignity in this salesman,
	there was great dignity in his aging and suffering and death. . .

No explicit list of the mainstream novels is given in the book, but I found
references to these:

Confessions of a Crap Artist  [published in 1975]
The Man Whose Teeth Were All Exactly Alike  [published 1984 by Mark Ziesling]
In Milton Lumky Territory  [to be published by Dragon Press]
Puttering About in a Small Land  [published Academy Chicago]
Mary and the Giant  [unpublished]
Gather Yourselves Together  [unpublished]
The Broken Bubble of Thisbe Holt  [unpublished.  "It's just a bad book"-PKD]
Voices From the Street  [unpublished.  This is the 600-page one]
A Time For George Stavros  [unpublished]
Nicholas and the Higs  [unpublished]

I recommend _...In_His_Own_Words very highly to any PKD enthusiast.  It
contains a short biography, an essay by Rickman which attempts to classify
Dick's novels into four periods, and a long series of interviews (often more
like conversations) with Dick about his feelings, life, and written work.
The publisher is undoubtedly obscure (I picked up the book at a bookstore /
comics shop in Long Beach), but you may be able to persuade a bookstore to
order it.

				--Peter Alfke      (jpa144@cit-vax)

@RUTGERS.ARPA:Slocum.CSCDA@HI-MULTICS.ARPA (05/08/85)

From: Slocum@HI-MULTICS.ARPA

Being somewhat of a collector of P.K.Dick myself, I have both the books you
mentioned. I would be willing to sell them if I can find replacements. I'll
start checking the local used bookstores,  if you want.

BTW, could you send or post a list of all Philip K. Dick printed matter?

    Brett Slocum
    (ARPA: Slocum\@HI-MULTICS)
    (UUCP: ...ihnp4!umn-cs!hi-csc!slocum)

@RUTGERS.ARPA:boyajian%akov68.DEC@decwrl.ARPA (05/11/85)

From: boyajian%akov68.DEC@decwrl.ARPA

> From: Slocum@HI-MULTICS.ARPA	(Brett Slocum)

> Being somewhat of a collector of P.K.Dick myself, I have both the books you
> mentioned. I would be willing to sell them if I can find replacements. I'll
> start checking the local used bookstores,  if you want.
>
> BTW, could you send or post a list of all Philip K. Dick printed matter?

Not asking for much, are you? :-)

You may want to look for:

PKD: A PHILIP K. DICK BIBLIOGRAPHY, compiled by Daniel J H Levack,
	Underwood/Miller, 1981.

It's 156 pages of bibliographic data, including photo reproductions
of Dick's books and sf magazines that featured Dick stories on the
cover. There are also annotations by Steven Owen Godersky describing
the plots. The bibliography covers books, short fiction, unpublished
manuscripts, non-fiction, verse, and works about Dick. There are also
lists of collaborative works, connecting stories, and a chronologically
arranged list of Dick's work. Levack is one of the prime bibliographers
in the field, and this is worth getting if you're a hardcore Dick fan.
	The book is available in both hardcover and softcover. I'm
sorry, but I don't have price information on hand. I believe that
the softcover is $9.95 softcover and the hardcover is $17.95, but I
couldn't swear to it.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA