[mod.music.gaffa] More on music trends

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (01/14/87)

Really-From: Sue Trowbridge   <ins_aset%jhunix.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>

>Subject: From a pit of despair...
>Really-From: Jim Hofmann <hofmann@nrl-css.arpa>

>Someone mentioned that the British music scene is dormant because melody
>maker and the face said so:

No, I said that it was dormant because my ears told me so.  BTW, aren't
you the one who asked "who are the good British bands" a couple of weeks
ago, as if there weren't any such animal?  Glad you've changed your tune,
though.  The Godfathers, The Membranes, etc. are certainly nifty
bands.  Still, the groups you mentioned (except for the June Brides)
are all vets.  (yes, the Godfathers are "new" but most of its members
were in the Sid Presley Experience for years.)  Anyway, I was referring
to *new* movements; the trend conscious brits seem to come up with a
couple of new ones every year, not that any of them stick
(remember "the new romantics"?) and 1986 was particularly dry.  As
I mentioned, the shambling movement barely got off the ground.
Instead of coming up with new styles 'n sounds, the brits simply sat
back and admired the output of black Americans, particularly in rap and
go-go.  Y'know what the current U.K. #1 is?  Jackie Wilson's "Reet
Petite"!

If you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go tape some Volcano Suns, Christmas,
Sonic Youth and Big Black for my friend Dave in London...

--Sue

"Oh, Spuds, you're an ANIMAL!"