[net.sf-lovers] Art in True Names

@RUTGERS.ARPA:AXLER%Upenn-1100%upenn.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa (04/23/85)

From: "Don't worry, I'll tell you later." <AXLER%upenn-1100.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa (Don't worry, I'll tell you later.)>

     I think that a few of Mark Leeper's comments re Bob Walters' artwork
for True Names are in need of comment.  Having been involved with that project
rather intimately -- both I and a housemate posed for some of the setup photos
for this book, though the faces were changed to protect the guilty -- I think
I'm in a position to do so.
     First of all, you must recognize that very few sf artists have as muchj
control over their work as you seem to think, Mark.  Art directors often tell
artists precisely which scenes they want illustrated, from what perspective,
and so on.  When such limits are placed on an artist, they can prevent some
of his or her talent from showing through.  To my mind, despite the numerous
constraints placed on him by Bluejay's staff, Bob managed to produce a fine
set of illustrations.
     Secondly, your comment on the sloppy placement of the illustrations, while
true, is placed in the same paragraph as your comments on the artist's talents.
Unfortunately, this implies that the two are related, which they aren't.  Once
again, this type of thing is under the control of the publisher, not the artist.
If you're unhappy with the placement of the pictures (and you're quite right
about it being sloppy), please bitch directly to Bluejay -- this isn't something
that the artist has any control over.
Unfortunately, Bluejay in general does sloppy work.  Their trade paperback
line has, all too often, consisted of reprints whose length, even when one
counts the "padding" like Minsky's comments on True Names, doesn't justify
their price.  Their release dates are continually slipping, causing losses of
royalties to both authors and artists.  [True Names has an '84 copyright date,
but wasn't shipped till mid-January of '85; as a result, many of the big book-
stores {Daltons/Walden/etc} refused to stock it, as it was an "out-of-date"
edition.]  I know, from talking to Bob, that he intends not to work for them
again unless it's absolutely necessary -- apparently they didn't even have the
courtesy to return the originals in decent shape!
     By the way, if you really want to judge the quality of his work, you might
consider attending this year's Disclave (in DC over Memorial Day Weekend), where
he will be the Artist Guest of Honor.

--Dave Axler

brust@hyper.UUCP (Steven Brust) (04/26/85)

>      First of all, you must recognize that very few sf artists have as muchj
> control over their work as you seem to think, Mark.  Art directors often tell
> artists precisely which scenes they want illustrated, from what perspective,
> and so on.  When such limits are placed on an artist, they can prevent some
> of his or her talent from showing through.  ................................
>
> --Dave Axler

This is correct.  Furthermore (I know I'm getting off the subject), it is
often the the marketing people who decide on the artist, as in "This guy
should have a Whalen or Rwena cover," or "keep the same artist he's had
before since his other books are selling so well."  The result can be
that a scene is selected that doesn't fit the book and an artist is
selected who can't do that sort of scene well.  If you think I'm taking
this personally, I am.  The cover of the paperback of To Reign In Hell
sucks the big one, dispite excellent covers, by the same artist, of
JHEREG and YENDI.

For examples of GOOD cover art, there is: THE BLUE HAWK, by Peter Dickinson,
and the two books by John DeChancie (which are excellent books, by
the way).

				-- SKZB

leeper@mtgzz.UUCP (m.r.leeper) (05/12/85)

>      First of all, you must recognize that very few sf artists have as muchj
> control over their work as you seem to think, Mark.  Art directors often tell
> artists precisely which scenes they want illustrated, from what perspective,
> and so on.  When such limits are placed on an artist, they can prevent some
> of his or her talent from showing through.  ................................
>
> --Dave Axler

I think that I complained about the art, not the artist for the most
part.  The art in a book is the result of a team effort, the artist is
an important member of the team, but not the only one.  Certainly
misplaced illustrations that divulge plot twists are not the artists
fault.  The quality of a given illustration is more the artist's
responsibility, but not entirely all.  I am not sure whose fault the
unimaginative illustrations of some Bluejay books are.  Misplacing
illustrations is the art editor's fault.  Actually, if an illustration
is not good, the fault of that is also ultimately that of the art
director.

				Mark Leeper
				...ihnp4!mtgzz!leeper