[mod.music.gaffa] All this KBS; the Anti-Chic Catechism; Breathed In?

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (01/17/87)

Really-From: Jamie Andrews <andrews@cs.ubc.cdn>

In article <8701131650.AA02864@osupyr.UUCP> rhr@osupyr.UUCP (Robert Robinson)
writes:
>                         ... This "four octave range inspirational and
>totally mind blowing singing wonder" is one of the most overrated artists to
>come down the pike....  As a singer, she's marginal at best, and as a
>redefining force, nonexistant.

     Robert Robinson has succeeded in putting himself squarely in
my list of the Anti-Chic.  Anti-Chic music critics follow the
following rules for evaluating artists:
- If the artists are popular, they can't like them.
- If the artists are not particularly popular, but people know about
  them, they can like them.
- If the artists are SO popular that there has begun to be a backlash
  against them, they can like them as part of the anti-backlash.
- If they ever claim to like a band that's been around for a while
  they MUST say they like the "early" version of the band, e.g.
  "early Ramones", "early Pretenders".  This is to imply that they
  liked them _before_ they became popular.

     It seems clear that RHR saw all the traffic in this group and
decided that it would be a really groovy, Anti-Chic thing to do to
try to burst the bubble.  I doubt that he brought much objective
critical force to bear on his analysis.

     His Anti-Chic status was confirmed for me by the artists and
composers he listed as being interested in.  For instance, for
classical composers, he _couldn't_ say Bach or Mozart or something,
because they're too well-known and popular.  But he also couldn't
say rather obscure people like Faure or Scriabin, because people
might not be able to be impressed by that.  So he says...

>... my intrests run from
>Brahms, through BB King, to Butthole Surfers. I am a bass player who has played
>everything from the Dregs to the Dreaded Ones, including Dvorak.

     Perfect!  Brahms and Dvorak.  I suggest that everyone save
the original article as a shining example of Anti-Chic.

-----

     As for me... this is my first posting to this newsgroup.
In the past I was mildly interested in KB, didn't have any of her
albums, and then bought _The Whole Story_ over the holidays.  I
found that "Wuthering Heights", even after several playings, still
has this weird ability to send chills up my spine and bring tears
to my eyes in the lead-in to the first chorus ("wuthering, wuthering,
wuthering heights, Heathcliff...").

     Then I listened to the whole album with headphones.  Fairly
interesting at first, then "Sat in Your Lap" had a powerful effect
on me, and then... "The Dreaming".  I found myself unable to keep
from closing my eyes and hallucinating all the images she was
putting into the song, including two copies of her face singing
the lyrics about 12" from my face and 12" apart.

     I suggest that RHR listen to "The Dreaming" with headphones,
and if he can pass it off as "just some clever tricks with stereo
and a room simulator", well, there's no hope.  Only Kate Bush can
give you the feeling that she's on either side of your head, with
her lips to each ear, breathing into your ears, and make it both
incredibly sensuous (she _does_ have nice lips, after all) and
at the same time totally other-than-sensuous as well.

     I am now in imminent danger of buying the entire album of
_The Dreaming_, and possibly some other ones of hers too.  This
for someone who buys maybe 3 albums per year for himself, is pretty
extravagant.

     I think I'm getting BREATHED IN...

--Jamie.
...!seismo!ubc-vision!ubc-cs!andrews
"Take my shoes off & throw them in the lake"

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (01/20/87)

Really-From: rhr@osupyr.UUCP (Robert Robinson)

In article <626:andrews@cs.ubc.cdn> Love-Hounds writes:
>Really-From: Jamie Andrews <andrews@cs.ubc.cdn>

>In article <8701131650.AA02864@osupyr.UUCP> rhr@osupyr.UUCP (Robert Robinson)
>writes:
>>                         ... This "four octave range inspirational and
>>totally mind blowing singing wonder" is one of the most overrated artists to
>>come down the pike....  As a singer, she's marginal at best, and as a
>>redefining force, nonexistant.
>
>     Robert Robinson has succeeded in putting himself squarely in
>my list of the Anti-Chic.  Anti-Chic music critics follow the
>following rules for evaluating artists:
>- If the artists are popular, they can't like them.
>- If the artists are not particularly popular, but people know about
>  them, they can like them.
>- If the artists are SO popular that there has begun to be a backlash
>  against them, they can like them as part of the anti-backlash.
>- If they ever claim to like a band that's been around for a while
>  they MUST say they like the "early" version of the band, e.g.
>  "early Ramones", "early Pretenders".  This is to imply that they
>  liked them _before_ they became popular.

     Quite a bit of assumption here. My tastes are not restricted to the artists
I named. The only artist I said was overrated ( or anything else for that matter)
was Kate Bush.

>     It seems clear that RHR saw all the traffic in this group and
>decided that it would be a really groovy, Anti-Chic thing to do to
>try to burst the bubble.  I doubt that he brought much objective
>critical force to bear on his analysis.

     That is not the reason I posted, but you probably wont believe that
anyway. :-)

>     His Anti-Chic status was confirmed for me by the artists and
>composers he listed as being interested in.  For instance, for
>classical composers, he _couldn't_ say Bach or Mozart or something,
>because they're too well-known and popular.  But he also couldn't
>say rather obscure people like Faure or Scriabin, because people
>might not be able to be impressed by that.  So he says...
>
>>... my intrests run from
>>Brahms, through BB King, to Butthole Surfers. I am a bass player who has played
>>everything from the Dregs to the Dreaded Ones, including Dvorak.
>
>     Perfect!  Brahms and Dvorak.  I suggest that everyone save
>the original article as a shining example of Anti-Chic.

Again with the assumption that just because I didn't mention all of my interests
that I have no others.

>     I suggest that RHR listen to "The Dreaming" with headphones,
>and if he can pass it off as "just some clever tricks with stereo
>and a room simulator", well, there's no hope.  Only Kate Bush can
>give you the feeling that she's on either side of your head, with
>her lips to each ear, breathing into your ears, and make it both
>incredibly sensuous (she _does_ have nice lips, after all) and
>at the same time totally other-than-sensuous as well.

    Although the mixing ( yes I had heard it with headphones) was decent, and I
admit some of the effects were nice, I still don't see it. Oh, by the way, twins
can do the same thing :-).

>     I am now in imminent danger of buying the entire album of
>_The Dreaming_, and possibly some other ones of hers too.  This
>for someone who buys maybe 3 albums per year for himself, is pretty
>extravagant.
>
>     I think I'm getting BREATHED IN...

Good luck.

>--Jamie.
>...!seismo!ubc-vision!ubc-cs!andrews
>"Take my shoes off & throw them in the lake"

*  "Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy' until you can find a rock."*
*  Gaelan the Slightly Confused, King of the Undefined.                    *
*  Contact at  (insert path here)!cbogsd!osupyr!rhr                        *
*  "Its the squeaky wheel that gets the grease,                            *
*   But its the quacking duck that gets shot"                              *
*  System Operator (believe it or not) @                                   *
*  OSUPYR @ Ohio State University                                          *
*  Any letters will be duly read, and quickly dismissed as frivolous.      *