[net.sf-lovers] To Reign in Hell SPOILER

hutch@shark.UUCP (Stephen Hutchison) (05/01/85)

In article <1823@topaz.ARPA> @RUTGERS.ARPA:Newman.pasa@Xerox.ARPA writes:
>From: Newman.pasa@Xerox.ARPA
>WOW!
>
>I just read To Reign in Hell (by S. Brust) and it is a rreally grreat
>book. To be quite honest, I didn't think it was as good as Brinn's stuff
>(sorry SZKB), but it is well worth the paper it is printed on and much
>more!

I don't know about how it compares with Brinn, but I was really disappointed
myself, after the great recommendation by Zelazny and all.  Oh, sure, the
writing was nice enough, but it got just a bit forced in places, and I found
myself anticipating turns of phrase, or horrid puns, and there they were,
staring me in the face.

> I really like the fact that it is only a novel - I like series,
>but I like novels too, and there are too damned few of those around!

Uuuuuhmn, looked an awful lot like a lead-in to a sequel to me.  Any
word on this, SKZB?

> The
>characters are great, and the book left me wishing I was a little more
>familiar with the biblical account of this stuff.

There IS no such account.  There might be some traces of this in the
Jewish scriptures, but since many of our Jewish cohorts claim that there
is no mention of "Satan" as an angel in the Hebrew...

Brust credited Milton's "Paradise Lost" as a major source, if I recall,
and there are other plays and poems on the topic going back quite a ways.

> In addition, I relly
>like Brust's writing. It never gets in the way, and there is some great
>humor. I particularly liked the first sentence of the book. I must have
>read it over four or five times before I turned the page. I liked it
>enough to go out and buy Jehereg (spelling?), which is waiting on my "to
>read" shelf.
>
>I am left with but one small question: does anyone have any idea why
>Beelzebub speaks in Medieval English?

Because he read the originals to Faustus.  Actually, that was one of the
touches I liked, but it wasn't Medieval English, only archaic english.
True Medieval English would have been rather hard to read.

The things I didn't like:  The characterizations all started out real
nice, but as the villainy progressed it got to be just a bit too much
to take.  If Brust wanted to offend Christians, Moslems, and Jews, he
did a real good job of it.  My real complaint, however, is that the
choice was the OBVIOUS one.  If you want to make it tragic, take the
cheap way, make Satan the good, honorable one who refuses to go along
with the duplicitous and rather foolish Y*hw*h.  And of course God is
"just another angel" and Yeshua is the last created angel, rather than
the coequal or even the first created.  Yawn.

It's been DONE.  A multitude of times, it's been done.  If you want tragedy,
make the real tragedy come out of the real losses.  I would be impressed
if the conflict between obedience and choice had been handled in a way that
didn't make God into a proto-Nixon.  Or which dealt with a truly omnipotent
God, or a truly omniscient God.  The mechanism of reducing Y*hw*h into a
mere angel, limited and accessible, is just too easy.

I dunno.  Maybe its just because I have seen too much of that type of thing
coming out of cults, new and ancient, and it isn't a new approach to me.
Perhaps it was because my religion was offended.  I imagine the same kind of
dissonance happens to Hindus who read Donaldson's "Thomas Covenant" series.
Oh well.

>>>Dave
>
>PS: Here is another question unrelated to the general topic. Being
>unsure where to ask, I will ask the kind-hearted SFLovers. What in blue
>blazes does :-) mean??

That is the infamous Snicker Icon.  It is usually left out of articles
which are intended to be taken as humour, leading to hurt feelings and
attacks of offensensitivity.  Some people leave it out because they detest
smiley faces of any form.  It infests the Usenet more than the Arpanet,
where people are politer and don't have to tell everyone when to laugh.

Hutch

jim@randvax.UUCP (Jim Gillogly) (05/02/85)

Stephen Hutchison, responding to Dave Newman's positive review of
To Reign in Hell (Stephen Brust), writes:

> If Brust wanted to offend Christians, Moslems, and Jews, he did a real good
> job of it. ... take the cheap way, make Satan the good, honorable one who
> refuses to go along with the duplicitous and rather foolish Y*hw*h.  And of
> course God is "just another angel" and Yeshua is the last created angel,
> rather than the coequal or even the first created.  Yawn.

If someone is religious and regards his religion's account of these events as
the only true and valid way to handle the subject matter, *sure* he'll be
offended.  Sorry if your religion got gored, but as far as I'm concerned the
treatment was original and extremely well crafted.  Before reading it I
doubted that it could live up to Zelazny's introduction, and was pleasantly
surprised.  Hey, what's wrong with Yeshua's creation, other than your
reading of John 1?  His creation was unique and (by his own account) the
only peaceful one.

> I would be impressed if the conflict between obedience and choice had been
> handled in a way that didn't make God into a proto-Nixon.  Or which dealt
> with a truly omnipotent God, or a truly omniscient God.  The mechanism of
> reducing Y*hw*h into a mere angel, limited and accessible, is just too easy.

Yaweh was not cast as a "mere angel", but as the first among them ... and
after he learned to tap into the illiaster of the others, he was MUCH more
powerful than the others.  But what would be so good about an omnipotent and
omniscient God as a plot element?  Where will you get conflict?  Imagine
a Superman story that doesn't involve Kryptonite or others from Superman's
planet -- if the character is too far ahead of everybody else there's nothing
for him to strive against.

I found it a moving and very well-written book - the more so because I had
thought the whole subject matter had been mined out centuries ago.  I strongly
recommend it!
--
	Jim Gillogly
	{decvax, vortex}!randvax!jim

brust@hyper.UUCP (Steven Brust) (05/03/85)

It is Bad Form for an author to respond to negative reviews.
Up until now, I haven't.  All of the review I have read
(including yours, by the way) have been intelegent, and
that is such a pleasure that I almost don't care about how
negative some of them have been.

However, I am into bad form these days.

The thing is, there were a few points that just made me
itch to answer, so I'm going to scratch the itch.  I
hope you don't mind.

> > I really like the fact that it is only a novel - I like series,
> >but I like novels too, and there are too damned few of those around!
>
> Uuuuuhmn, looked an awful lot like a lead-in to a sequel to me.  Any
> word on this, SKZB?

Absolutly not!  There are only three possible sequals that I can see:
First, the book of Job.  No thanks, Heinlein covered it.  Certainly
not the same way I would have, but he did.  In any case, this would
have been a short story or a Novelette, which, as they said in
Monty Python and the Holy Grain, "Isn't my idiom."  Second, the
Passion.  Yeah, I could, but I'm just not interested.  The point
of the book was NOT to offend anyone, though I'm willing to if
necessary.  Doing the Passion WOULD be offensive, and I just don't
have enough interest in it to justify it.  The third possibility
for a sequal is the appocalypse.  Yeeeech!  I almost killed myself
doing the research for HELL.  Do you have any idea how much
appocalyptic literture I'd have to wade through to do a competent
sequal????  No way!!!

> >I am left with but one small question: does anyone have any idea why
> >Beelzebub speaks in Medieval English?
>
> Because he read the originals to Faustus.  Actually, that was one of the
> touches I liked, but it wasn't Medieval English, only archaic english.
> True Medieval English would have been rather hard to read.

It was Shakespearean (sp?) English.  It was corrected by
Shakespearean schollar and writer Pamela Dean.  If there
are any mistakes, it is because I did over-ride her
recomendations on a couple of points.

> The things I didn't like:  The characterizations all started out real
> nice, but as the villainy progressed it got to be just a bit too much
> to take.  If Brust wanted to offend Christians, Moslems, and Jews, he
> did a real good job of it.  My real complaint, however, is that the
> choice was the OBVIOUS one.  If you want to make it tragic, take the
> cheap way, make Satan the good, honorable one who refuses to go along
> with the duplicitous and rather foolish Y*hw*h.  And of course God is
> "just another angel" and Yeshua is the last created angel, rather than
> the coequal or even the first created.  Yawn.

Okay, here we go.  If this is what you took from it, I didn't do
my job.  This is unquestionably a flaw.  But, for the sake of
discussion, I'll say this:  What you describe was exactly what
I was trying NOT to do.  Satan admits in conversation with
Beelzebub, toward the end, that Yaweh
had been RIGHT, that his decisions were correct and that he,
Satan, was wrong.

I never did buy that anyone with Satan's intellegence could
have revolted against an omnipotant God.  So, why did it
happen?  I think there are as many holes in my approach
as in the traditional one, but they are different holes.
However, I don't see where it was "cheap."  I went over
and over that manuscript, doing my best to make sure there
were no cheap shots, or any actions motivated by stupidity.
If I had succeeded, you wouldn't have come away with the
opinion you did, yet I can't see where I failed.  Yaweh
was drivin by love, Abdiel by fear, Satan by indecision,
and Beelzebub by loyalty.  If there was anyone in the
entire book who really knew what was going on, it was
Lilith, but she was too lacking in self-confidence to
take the necessary steps.

No, Yaweh was never evil.  He was forced into evil
actions, as was Satan, by his own failings.  The real
flaw in the book (I say its a flaw because very few
people have picked it up, so I obviously didn't bring
it off) was this: Abdial's actions didn't matter.  If
there had been no Abdial, things would have proceeded
in almost exactly the same way.  In some sense, that
was the point of the book, so in that sense, the
book failed.  I take consolation in the number of
people who have enjoyed it anyway--to me, a book's
"point" is secondary to its enjoyment value.  This
is one reason that I like C. S. Lewis and don't
like George Orwell--even though I disagree with
them to same extent.

There.  It was probably stupid to write this, but
maybe you hit me where it hurt.  In any case, I
will repeat, it is a pleasure to be read and reviewed
by people who actually READ the book, and have
something to say about it, even if the review is
negative.

			-- SKZB

jim@randvax.UUCP (Jim Gillogly) (05/05/85)

In article <184@hyper.UUCP> brust@hyper.UUCP (Steven Brust) writes:
>                                                   Yaweh
> was drivin by love, Abdiel by fear, Satan by indecision,
> and Beelzebub by loyalty.  If there was anyone in the
> entire book who really knew what was going on, it was
> Lilith, but she was too lacking in self-confidence to
> take the necessary steps.

Second-guessing the author is a losing proposition, I suppose, but hallowed
by long tradition in English classes.  So: I would have said that Abdiel was
driven (at the beginning) by ambition rather than fear, and kept that
motivation all the way until he was discovered by all and sundry to have
invented evil.  Although basically a coward, I would say that his
confrontation with Satan at the Southern Keep was not the action of a
fearful being.

Also, wouldn't you say that Mephistopheles (my favorite character, I think)
knew even more about what was going on than Lilith?

Let me reiterate my high praise for this book:  I found the characterizations
and motivations very credible.  As long as it says spoiler in the title, let
me also say that the final confrontation between Yaweh and Satan was
incredibly impressive.  I'm a big fan of the Regency Romance, where everybody
wanders around under false pretences, and when finally when everybody *really*
knows what everybody else meant by their actions they all make up and live
happily ever after.  However, to have the truth come out but still not make
any difference to the outcome requires a great deal of artistry.  Further,
there is an inevitability about the ending:  I was left with the feeling that
even if Abdiel hadn't been doing the dirt throughout, the natural course of
events would have ended in a similar result.
--
	Jim Gillogly
	{decvax, vortex}!randvax!jim

srt@ucla-cs.UUCP (05/08/85)

In article <184@hyper.UUCP> brust@hyper.UUCP (Steven Brust) writes:

>It is Bad Form for an author to respond to negative reviews.

Now, why is that?  It seems to me like you would want to respond to bad
reviews.  After all, what kind of response can you make to good reviews.
"Thank you, thank you."  Mutual back-patting isn't that interesting.

Obviously you don't want to get caught up in arguing about your books too
much -- you'd end up looking juvenile -- but I think a fair amount of
response to negative reviews is warranted.  The author of a book has a very
different understanding of the book than a reader does, because much of what
the author understands about the book comes from internalized thoughts,
false starts, musings, etc., that never show up in print.  Negative reviews
often point out where the author failed to completely communicate his
understanding.  Writing to clear up these kinds of mis-communications can
be helpful for both the author and the reader.

> ...The real
>flaw in the book (I say its a flaw because very few
>people have picked it up, so I obviously didn't bring
>it off) was this: Abdial's actions didn't matter.  If
>there had been no Abdial, things would have proceeded
>in almost exactly the same way...

Prime example, I think.  I never considered this point until you brought it
up.  Thinking back upon the book, I guess I can see your argument for this.
I don't agree with it.  For this to hold, the forces involved should have
been so overwhelming that the course of events would be unchangable.  This
simply isn't so in To Reign in Hell.  There are several points in the book
where a conversation between Yaweh and Satan would have cleared the air.
Regardless of whether or not you brought the point across in the book, it
is interesting to hear that this was the point you were trying to make.

Now, the question is:  Did you start out with this as your "point" or did
it develop during the course of writing the story?

    Scott R. Turner
    ARPA:  srt@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA
    UUCP:  ...!{cepu,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!srt
    SPUDNET: ...russet$eye.srt

hutch@shark.UUCP (Stephen Hutchison) (05/10/85)

In article <184@hyper.UUCP> brust@hyper.UUCP (Steven Brust) writes:
>It is Bad Form for an author to respond to negative reviews.
>
>However, I am into bad form these days.
>
>The thing is, there were a few points that just made me
>itch to answer, so I'm going to scratch the itch.  I
>hope you don't mind.

Mind?  Actually getting a reply from someone who has been published,
talking about a review of his work?  Why should I mind?

>Absolutly not!  There are only three possible sequals that I can see:
>First, the book of Job.  No thanks, Heinlein covered it.  Certainly
>not the same way I would have, but he did.  In any case, this would
>have been a short story or a Novelette, which, as they said in
>Monty Python and the Holy Grain, "Isn't my idiom."  Second, the
>Passion.  Yeah, I could, but I'm just not interested.  The point
>of the book was NOT to offend anyone, though I'm willing to if
>necessary.  Doing the Passion WOULD be offensive, and I just don't
>have enough interest in it to justify it.  The third possibility
>for a sequal is the appocalypse.  Yeeeech!  I almost killed myself
>doing the research for HELL.  Do you have any idea how much
>appocalyptic literture I'd have to wade through to do a competent
>sequal????  No way!!!

Good.  It looked frighteningly like a sequel was pending, probably
a rewrite of Genesis.

As for offending anyone, I'm offended, but let me make clear the reasons.
The book clearly intends to be a retelling of the pre-creation mythos
which developed in medieval Europe from some Jewish and Gnostic traditions.
This mythos was adapted by Milton when he wrote Paradise Lost.

Now, the things that offend:  First, it will offend any orthodox Jew because
the Name of God is not supposed to be written casually, and never ever is
it supposed to be destroyed (treated as trash).  Those names have meanings
and they can add to the cognitive dissonance.  "Satan" means "adversary" for
instance.
It will offend just about any educated Christian.  There are several points
of basic theology which you tweaked with.  First, the reduction of God from
the absolute to "just" another angel.  Second, the denial of the trinity
inherent in the existance of Yeshua as you described it.  Third, the creation
of Yeshua as an entity well after everything else in Heaven, and the very
sick personality which you ascribed to him.

>> ... My real complaint, however, is that the
>> choice was the OBVIOUS one.  If you want to make it tragic, take the
>> cheap way, make Satan the good, honorable one who refuses to go along
>> with the duplicitous and rather foolish Y*hw*h.  And of course God is
>> "just another angel" and Yeshua is the last created angel, rather than
>> the coequal or even the first created.  Yawn.
>>

>Okay, here we go.  If this is what you took from it, I didn't do
>my job.  This is unquestionably a flaw.  But, for the sake of
>discussion, I'll say this:  What you describe was exactly what
>I was trying NOT to do.  Satan admits in conversation with
>Beelzebub, toward the end, that Yaweh
>had been RIGHT, that his decisions were correct and that he,
>Satan, was wrong.

What he admits to Beelzebub, and what the rest of the angels do not
grasp, is that the story which was concocted with Abdiel's collaboration
was a true one as far as it went; that Satan was explicitly created
BY Y*hw*h as were the others.  That was the political linchpin on which
everyone else organized around Satan, that and the creation of Yeshua.
The "untruth" is that there was no planned, deliberated, careful creation
of ANYTHING (according to your own descriptive interludes) until the existance
of an area large enough to live in and (sort of) relax in had been
established.  Y*hw*h did not believe this to be the case; he accepted
this dishonesty as necessary and followed through with it.  God as
Richard Nixon.  Since this theme predominates among the ancient and current
Gnostic philosophies, and it is just too easy to do, I got the idea that
this was a cheap shot.

>I never did buy that anyone with Satan's intellegence could
>have revolted against an omnipotant God.  So, why did it
>happen?  I think there are as many holes in my approach
>as in the traditional one, but they are different holes.
>However, I don't see where it was "cheap."  I went over
>and over that manuscript, doing my best to make sure there
>were no cheap shots, or any actions motivated by stupidity.

If Y*hw*h has the power to OBSERVE (and probably to communicate) at
a distance, why would he believe Abdiel rather than using his own
power to investigate the claim?

For that matter, as to why anyone would revolt against an omnipotent God,
try, ignorance of the true nature of that omnipotence, pride in one's own
tremendous power, the simple refusal to obey.  You touched on THAT topic
very nicely and I really thought that would be the nature of the tragedy,
the tension between obedience and free choice.

As for omniscience.  You granted Y*w*h the power to find out anything; this
was not automatic but rather seemed more like traditional Angelic Knowledge.
True omniscience consists of automatically KNOWING.

>If I had succeeded, you wouldn't have come away with the
>opinion you did, yet I can't see where I failed.  Yaweh
>was drivin by love, Abdiel by fear, Satan by indecision,
>and Beelzebub by loyalty.  If there was anyone in the
>entire book who really knew what was going on, it was
>Lilith, but she was too lacking in self-confidence to
>take the necessary steps.

Y*w*h was driven by love and anger and the desire for survival.  Abdiel was
driven by fear, by greed for power, and by his immaturity.  Beelzebub was
pretty much loyalty incarnate, hence the doggy form; Satan was paralyzed
by indecision but driven by ignorance and by stubborn pride.  At least, that
was what I perceived.

>No, Yaweh was never evil.  He was forced into evil
>actions, as was Satan, by his own failings.  The real
>flaw in the book (I say its a flaw because very few
>people have picked it up, so I obviously didn't bring
>it off) was this: Abdial's actions didn't matter.  If
>there had been no Abdial, things would have proceeded
>in almost exactly the same way.  In some sense, that
>was the point of the book, so in that sense, the
>book failed.  I take consolation in the number of
>people who have enjoyed it anyway--to me, a book's
>"point" is secondary to its enjoyment value.  This
>is one reason that I like C. S. Lewis and don't
>like George Orwell--even though I disagree with
>them to same extent.

If there had been no Abdiel, then there would have been no lies, no murders
in Heaven, and the tension would have to have developed along the lines of
Satan and Y*w*h trying to convince each other of their respective positions.
I didn't LIKE Abdiel but I do think he was crucial in the development of
the plot you wrote.

As for "never evil" once again we disagree.  AS YOU DEFINED THE SITUATION
it was wrong for Y*w*h to resort to coercion and the choice to do so was
morally wrong.  How does one persist in a course of action which is admittedly
"evil" without accepting that evil and, in fact, BECOMING evil?
A "lesser of two evils" is still an evil.  There was lots of room there
for further exploration.

The real problem with the story was that you were writing in a minefield.
Nearly every american has SOME preconceptions about the Judeo-Christian
beliefs and therefore will find SOMETHING wrong with a story where their
own preconceptions have to be reconciled to the story.  This is a LOT of
the reason I dislike the book, but I have tried to keep my objections on
a basis of literary analysis.

>There.  It was probably stupid to write this, but
>maybe you hit me where it hurt.  In any case, I
>will repeat, it is a pleasure to be read and reviewed
>by people who actually READ the book, and have
>something to say about it, even if the review is
>negative.
>
>			-- SKZB

My apologies and touche'.  Your book hit ME where it hurt.  I am eagerly
awaiting the arrival of Jhereg and Yendl at the local Powell's Books.

Hutch

brust@hyper.UUCP (Steven Brust) (05/11/85)

> In article <184@hyper.UUCP> brust@hyper.UUCP (Steven Brust) writes:
>
> >It is Bad Form for an author to respond to negative reviews.
>
> Now, why is that?  It seems to me like you would want to respond to bad
> reviews.  After all, what kind of response can you make to good reviews.
> "Thank you, thank you."  Mutual back-patting isn't that interesting.
>
> Obviously you don't want to get caught up in arguing about your books too
> much -- you'd end up looking juvenile -- but I think a fair amount of
> response to negative reviews is warranted.  The author of a book has a very
> different understanding of the book than a reader does, because much of what
> the author understands about the book comes from internalized thoughts,
> false starts, musings, etc., that never show up in print.  Negative reviews
> often point out where the author failed to completely communicate his
> understanding.  Writing to clear up these kinds of mis-communications can
> be helpful for both the author and the reader.

The point is that the book ought to stand on its own.
If I was trying to get something across, it may be
of academic interest to someone to know what I
was trying to do, but book either made its
point or it didn't.

Now, it is certainly the case that it might have
worked for some people and not for others, or
to differing degrees for different people, but
an explanation from the author saying "No, no,
you missed the point, I WANTED that chapter
to be dull and boring to point out the bordom
in our lives," or something like that, is not
especially helpful.  The fact that it took me
an entire book to say what I wanted is a good
indication that I'm not going to be able to do
much better in a few column inches.

> > ...The real
> >flaw in the book (I say its a flaw because very few
> >people have picked it up, so I obviously didn't bring
> >it off) was this: Abdial's actions didn't matter.  If
> >there had been no Abdial, things would have proceeded
> >in almost exactly the same way...
> >

> Prime example, I think.  I never considered this point until you brought it
> up.  Thinking back upon the book, I guess I can see your argument for this.
> I don't agree with it.  For this to hold, the forces involved should have
> been so overwhelming that the course of events would be unchangable.  This
> simply isn't so in To Reign in Hell.  There are several points in the book
> where a conversation between Yaweh and Satan would have cleared the air.
> Regardless of whether or not you brought the point across in the book, it
> is interesting to hear that this was the point you were trying to make.

A prime example of what I meant.  Yes, now you know
one of the themes I was playing with.  I thought this
might be interesting or wouldn't have brought it up.
But it doesn't make the book any better.  If the reader
didn't pick that up on his own, after-the-fact knowledge,
interesting as it may be, won't improve it.

> Now, the question is:  Did you start out with this as your "point" or did
> it develop during the course of writing the story?
>
>     Scott R. Turner
>     ARPA:  srt@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA
>     UUCP:  ...!{cepu,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!srt
>     SPUDNET: ...russet$eye.srt

I don't honestly know.  There were a number of
things I wanted to play with.  Depending on when
you ask and the phase of the moon, I will probably
say different ones were the "point."  I try to
play fair with my readers, however.  What I mean
is, I do my best to let the characters behave as
they will, rather than using them as mouthpieces
for points I want to make.  There are two advantages
to this: one, it is, I think, more honest.  Two, it
allows me, after the fact, to go, "Oh, that's
an interesting idea.  I wonder if I believe it."

I hope this answered your question.

brust@hyper.UUCP (Steven Brust) (05/13/85)

> Good.  It looked frighteningly like a sequel was pending, probably
> a rewrite of Genesis.
>
> As for offending anyone, I'm offended, but let me make clear the reasons.
> The book clearly intends to be a retelling of the pre-creation mythos
> which developed in medieval Europe from some Jewish and Gnostic traditions.
> This mythos was adapted by Milton when he wrote Paradise Lost.
>
> Now, the things that offend:  First, it will offend any orthodox Jew because
> the Name of God is not supposed to be written casually, and never ever is
> it supposed to be destroyed (treated as trash).  Those names have meanings
> and they can add to the cognitive dissonance.  "Satan" means "adversary" for
> instance.

Right.  I thought seriously about changing some of the
names that had meanings--but ALL of the names have
meanings.  Mephistopheles, for instance, means
"dark angel," or "black angel" or something like
that.  There was just no future in it.  But yes,
I knew some people would be offended, but it seems just
as bad to me to avoid writing something so as not to
offend people as to set out attempting to offend people.

> What he admits to Beelzebub, and what the rest of the angels do not
> grasp, is that the story which was concocted with Abdiel's collaboration
> was a true one as far as it went; that Satan was explicitly created
> BY Y*hw*h as were the others.  That was the political linchpin on which
> everyone else organized around Satan, that and the creation of Yeshua.
> The "untruth" is that there was no planned, deliberated, careful creation
> of ANYTHING (according to your own descriptive interludes) until the existance
> of an area large enough to live in and (sort of) relax in had been
> established.  Y*hw*h did not believe this to be the case; he accepted
> this dishonesty as necessary and followed through with it.  God as
> Richard Nixon.  Since this theme predominates among the ancient and current
> Gnostic philosophies, and it is just too easy to do, I got the idea that
> this was a cheap shot.

In the early stages of Stalin's rule, before the Moscow
trials, he was forced into various economic decisions.  Rather
than saying, "We have been forced to do this bad thing," he
said, "We are doing this because it is good."  It was this,
as much as anything else, that led to the "necessity" of
the Moscow trials and the murder of a whole generation of
Bolsheviks, the betrayal of the Spanish, etc.  Yet his
DECISIONS were necessary, not wrong.  Satan was unhappy about
angels being coerced.  Toward the end of the book he admits
that the coercion WAS justified and that he was wrong, but
he still cannot accept Yaweh's having lied about it.

> >I never did buy that anyone with Satan's intellegence could
> >have revolted against an omnipotant God.  So, why did it
> >happen?  I think there are as many holes in my approach
> >as in the traditional one, but they are different holes.
> >However, I don't see where it was "cheap."  I went over
> >and over that manuscript, doing my best to make sure there
> >were no cheap shots, or any actions motivated by stupidity.
>
> If Y*hw*h has the power to OBSERVE (and probably to communicate) at
> a distance, why would he believe Abdiel rather than using his own
> power to investigate the claim?

This power is reduced almost to the point of
non-existence by the lack of flux between waves.
Remember how surprised he is that he is able to
watch the battle at the Southern Hold?  He hadn't
expected to be able to use this ability.  The reason
that he could is the leak created by Michael's sword.
This is also the reason Raphael is able to heal
Harut.

> ..........................................................  Beelzebub was
> pretty much loyalty incarnate, hence the doggy form; ...................

Well I'll be...You know, I think you're right.  I never
thought of that.  Hmmm.  Unless it was just the
reverse.  I never did know why I made him a dog
(someone has suggested "Lord of the Flies").  Thank
you.  I like that.

		-- SKZB

brust@hyper.UUCP (Steven Brust) (05/13/85)

> .......................................... I would have said that Abdiel was
> driven (at the beginning) by ambition rather than fear, and kept that
> motivation all the way until he was discovered by all and sundry to have
> invented evil....................................................

Maybe.  It seems to me that a readers opinion on
something like this is at least as legitimate as
the authors.  But I was playing with an idea taken
from Will Shetterly's CATS HAVE NO LORD.  He had
a character (Lord Noring) who became an excellent
swordsman, and was forced into courageous actions,
because of his basic fear.  I turned that around
with Abdiel.  His actions (to me, at least) were
motivated by wanting to be in a position where
he could avoid direct battle with the flux.  He
schemed to take over Satan's role so he could
have a decision-making position, which led to,
as you put it, the invention of evil.

> Also, wouldn't you say that Mephistopheles (my favorite character, I think)
> knew even more about what was going on than Lilith?

Yes, but, until nearly the end, he refused to
take a side other than that of personal friendship,
which doesn't go very far in a revolutionary
situation.
		-- SKZB