@RUTGERS.ARPA:RAOUL@JPL-VLSI.ARPA (04/19/85)

From: Alvin Wong <RAOUL@JPL-VLSI.ARPA>

I have not seen anyone mention "BOLO" by Keith Laumer.  Bolos are fighting
machines that resemble tanks but are intelligent and autonomous.  The book
consists of short stories that loosely follow the development of Bolos.
Memorable short stories for me were "The Last Command" and "War Relic".
Good emotional stuff.

"Wasting time is an important part of life."
------

sabre%Berkeley@csuf.ARPA (04/19/85)

From: uci-icsa!csuf!sabre@Berkeley

		The CYBORG and the SORCERERS
	   	   By Lawrence Watt-Evans

  This is a book about IRU cyborg (Independent Reconnaissance Unit)
whos mission is to solo pilot a ship, and play the role of spy and
saboteur. He has to determine the capablility of each planet he came
across to launch an attack on Old Earth and if possible to distroy
its ability to attack. He was also to capture any new weapons he came
across, so they could be duplicated by his side back on Mars. A computer
was included on the mission to insure loyalty, and to set off the
thermite bomb at the base of his skull. This mission could never end
untill his death since Earth lost the war and now was no one alive
to give them the release or recall code. IRU 205 code named Slant had
been on this mission for 14 years. Slant then came a cross a planet
in which the computer had detected "gravitational anomalies" and he
had to find out why. It turns out that after the planet had been
attacked by Old Earth and bombed back from a nuclear age to a level
of bow and arrow a few people gain use of psi abilities and become
wizards.

  This book and combines science and fantasy into a very good story.

 Jeff Ellis
 ..!ucbvax!ucivax!csuf!sabre

lgondor@utflis.UUCP (Les Gondor) (04/19/85)

How about the computers in Alexis Gilliland's Rosinante novels?  It's
interesting that these machines became 'persons' through legally
incorporating themselves.  As for their names, Corporate Skaskash
ranks among the more unusual names given to machines.

The other computers mentioned modelled their behaviour and appearance
on communications screens on humans: Coroporates Susan Brown, William
Hulvey and Forziati.

Les Gondor, U of Toronto
{cornell,ihnp4,allegra,uw-beaver,decvax!utzoo}!utcsri![utflis!]lgondor
CSNET: lgondor@toronto		ARPA: lgondor%Toronto@CSNet-Relay
From here on down, it's uphill all the way.

sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) (04/26/85)

In article <1671@topaz.ARPA>, @RUTGERS.ARPA:RAOUL@JPL-VLSI.ARPA writes:
> From: Alvin Wong <RAOUL@JPL-VLSI.ARPA>
>

> I have not seen anyone mention "BOLO" by Keith Laumer.  Bolos are fighting
> machines that resemble tanks but are intelligent and autonomous.  The book
> consists of short stories that loosely follow the development of Bolos.
> Memorable short stories for me were "The Last Command" and "War Relic".
> Good emotional stuff.

There was a very nice maze game for the Apple II called BOLO. In it, you
negotiated a maze while various machines attacked you. The object was
to destroy the enemy power supply. What made it really interesting was
that the enemy machines had different characeristics. Some seemed to
be able to track you better, others seemed to 'know' how to box you in.
Interesting game...

--
--- Sean Casey
---

		"We're all bozos on this bus."

wakemanla@sanfan.DEC (05/13/85)

	The computer in Wargames was WOPR, Joshua was the password
to the backdoor account.

Larry Wakeman

Digital San Francisco