[mod.music.gaffa] SO - another view.

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (01/15/87)

Really-From: tcjones@watdragon.UUCP (Crocodile Dundee)

and i finally broke down and bought SO (2nd hand) just to confirm that
PG really had sold out and after assuring myself that he had i rang
andrew and he suggested that perhaps SO really stood for Sold Out
love terry

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (01/16/87)

Really-From: sho@tybalt.caltech.edu (Sho Kuwamoto)

In article <2094@watdragon.UUCP> Love-Hounds writes:
>Really-From: tcjones@watdragon.UUCP (Crocodile Dundee)
>
>and i finally broke down and bought SO (2nd hand) just to confirm that
>PG really had sold out and after assuring myself that he had i rang
>andrew and he suggested that perhaps SO really stood for Sold Out
>love terry

Well.  First time I heard "Sledgehammer", I said:
"Ach! What is this which Peter Gabriel has done?
Another good artiste gone to sh*t!"  But then,
I reconsidered.  Not after multiple listenings,
but after going to his *concert*.  Within the context
of the concert, the mixture of his ominous, dark
music (Family and the Fishing Net, etc.), and his just plain
serious music (Biko, etc.) was well balanced by his more
light-hearted music, which came almost exclusively from
*So*.

In *my* opinion, one of the main problem with many
bands, especially less popular bands, is that they
take themselves too seriously.  For example, when
I'm in the right mood, I like listening to Joy Division,
but when I'm not chronically depressed, the music
seems almost silly.  It seems to say "Look at me!
I'm soooo depressed.  I'm such a depressed kind
of serious guy.  Oooh oooh, I want to die.  I'm
in so much pain.  Oooh."  (This, more than Bono's
whining, is my main problem with U2.)  Of course,
we can't expect bands to write songs about everyday
events like buying onions, or standing next to the
office water cooler, but if a band's music is entirely
composed of one extreme or another, it tends to lose
its impact.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that what normally
serious bands need to provide during 2 1/2 hour concerts
is O O O O that Shakespeherian comic relief; light or
even comical songs can add to the effect of more serious
songs.  I don't think that a Skinny Puppy concert would
work with even one lighthearted song, but I think
that many bands could use a little flippancy now and
then.  Goonight Bill.  Goonight Lou.  Goonight May. Goonight.
Ta ta.  Goonight. Goonight.
Good night, ladies, good night, sweet ladies, good night, good night.

					-Sho

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (01/19/87)

Really-From: munnari!yarra.OZ!rag@seismo.CSS.GOV (Robyn Grunberg)

> From: tcjones@watdragon.UUCP (Crocodile Dundee)
>
> and i finally broke down and bought SO (2nd hand) just to confirm that
> PG really had sold out and after assuring myself that he had i rang
> andrew and he suggested that perhaps SO really stood for Sold Out
> love terry

How could you ever think that PG would *sell out*.  If you want to hear
the same old thing again then simply put PG1 (or any other) on repeat
and listen to your hearts content.
Ro.

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (01/20/87)

Really-From: jdm@gssc.UUCP (John D. Miller)

what is this crap about peter gabriel "selling out?"  just because
someone's music is finally recognized by alot of people doesn't mean
the artist has changed his personal style and viewpoint!!

you, sir, are an arrogant snob who will only listen to music so long
as no one outside of your social and personal class (read clique)
likes it.  if one of the songs/albums/artists winds up on the top-40
chart because it is universally appealling, you drop it like a past
fad.

grow up!!

i don't like hype any more than you do, and it pains me to see really
talented people give in to the urge of suppressing their true purpose
of making good music and giving in to the urge of making really good
money.  a loathsome few: phil collins (with and without genesis),
billy joel, etc.  phil collins is, by far, the worst case.  i mean,
how can you go from "duke" to "disco - the nightmare continues."

i have all of gabriel's albums, and while "security" is my personal
favorite, "so" is probably my second favorite.  tracks like "red
rain," "mercy street," re-enforce my argument that he has not sold out
on intellectual and purposeful music.  i hope he never does.

-- jdm

ps - i like the version of "excellent birds" on laurie anderson's
"mister heartbreak" a tad better than the version on "so" called "this
is the picture."  i think "mister heartbreak" is by far laurie's best,
also.

[I too think that calling *SO* a "sell-out" is not quite appropriate.
But one cannot deny that the album was definitely and intentionally
made to be much more "commercial" than any of his previous albums.
--Doug]

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (01/24/87)

Really-From: Vulture of Light <trainor@CS.UCLA.EDU>

    what is this crap about peter gabriel "selling out?"  just because
    someone's music is finally recognized by alot of people doesn't mean
    the artist has changed his personal style and viewpoint!!

Gabriel sold-out long before ``SO.''  He's only slightly better than
Phil baby in this respect.

	Malcom X,
	No Sellout,
	Douglas