[mod.music.gaffa] Hall of Fame, XTC, Pussy Galore, Steeleye Span, etc.

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (01/24/87)

Really-From: ihnp4!attunix!sfsup!tamar

Thought I would share with you music maniacs the groovy experience of
having attended the rock 'n roll Hall of Fame awards. Of this year's
living inductees, only one, Artha Franklin, did not show up. Too bad,
because she is the first woman to become a member. Keith R. of the
Rolling Stones presented her award with an eloquent "You're in baby!"
(He also slyly mentioned that he wouldn't mind being in himself.) This
being New York, Bruce Springsteen had to present an award. He gave one
to Roy Orbison. Other presenters included Sting and Hall and Oates (is
anyone sick yet?)

Anyway, the best part was at the end of the ceremonies when there was
a jam session. I climbed up on a fancy Waldorf chair in the front so I
could get a close-up view and have room to dance. The tunes certainly
were inspirational. Chubby Checker did the twist. Smokey sang "Going
to a Go Go". Roy did, of course, "Pretty Woman" with help from fellow
musicians and the rocking crowd. Carl Perkins sang "Blue Suede Shoes".
There was a group version of "Roll Over Beethoven". All the while
Daryl Hall and Sting were on the keyboards, Anoton Fier (late of the
Golden Palominos) on drums, and the David Lettermen dudes on their
instruments. The "back-up" players included John Fogerty and Peter
Wolf. The set certainly made me believe in the healing power of R&B.

Ahmet Ertegun got his "nice guy of the century" award and the guv of
Ohio (Cleveland is the site for the Hall) also made an appearance.
And...last but not least, the dessert was Oreo cookies. Yum.

------------
Random notes:

Pussy Galore and Leaving Trains are in concert together in Hoboken the
weekend of January 30th.

On the flip side of a new XTC single (perhaps it was from "Earn Enough
for Us" but I don't recall the A side) is a song called "Dear God". I
don't think that this track is on the album but it is incredible.  If
you have bought the album, and (therefore) not the single, run out and
get it right away.

Who knows anything about the Australian "The Ups and Downs"? I bought
their album on the strength of "The Living Kind" which I really enjoy
but the rest of the album isn't great. On the other hand, wimpy music
fans will like the new Redbox LP. It is still only available as an
import but I found my copy for $8.99. Not a bad price.

And...for whoever it was that embarrasingly admitted that he was a
Steeleye Span fan: join the ranks. I also have their CD which I listen
to frequently. They also have a great song on an album called "Feed
the Folk". This is a charity album which includes songs from Loudon
Wainwright, Kate And Anna McGarrigle, Richard Thompson, Billy Bragg,
etc.

Tamar

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (01/24/87)

Really-From: trent@csvax.caltech.edu (Ray Trent)

In article <8701240408.AA01645@EDDIE.MIT.EDU> you write:
>On the flip side of a new XTC single (perhaps it was from "Earn Enough
>for Us" but I don't recall the A side) is a song called "Dear God". I
>don't think that this track is on the album but it is incredible.  If
>you have bought the album, and (therefore) not the single, run out and
>get it right away.

The single is the 12" import "Grass". I agree that this is an incredible
song. The music is perhaps not amazingly *innovative*, but the lyrics
are good and *very* powerfully sung. My first reaction when I heard this
song was roughly: "Wow, the Stairway to Heaven of the 80s"

If you're in the LA area...good luck finding a copy, though. The 12" is
usually incredibly expensive, even if you can find it. (~5.75-6.50)
When I finally found a copy and bought it, I went back the next day to
exchange it because it had two labels on one of the sides, and they had
sold the ~25 copies they had the day before. (not a big chain store, either)
--
"...always begins with a single step."
					../ray\..

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (01/24/87)

Really-From: mcgraw@eneevax.UUCP (Timothy J. McGraw)

> From: trent@csvax.caltech.edu (Ray Trent)

>"Wow, the Stairway to Heaven of the 80s"

Interesting. I haven't heard "Dear God," but my first reaction to
Skylarking was: "Wow, a Sergeant Pepper's for the New Age."

So call me a glossy production sucker, but the continuity on this
record is difficult to beat! This has everything to do with T.
Rundgren, THE master of American-style, cheap-hook pop!

--
|||||||||||       Tim McGraw             Systems Research Center    |||||||||||
|||||||||||   mcgraw@eneevax.umd.edu          (301)454-6167         |||||||||||