[mod.music.gaffa] vanDer Graaf Generator info

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (01/19/87)

Really-From: "ROSSI J.A." <rossi@nusc.ARPA>

Does anyone really give a fuck about van Der Graff generator, anymore

Todd
------

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (01/21/87)

Really-From: Vulture of Light <trainor@CS.UCLA.EDU>

    Does anyone really give a fuck about van Der Graff generator, anymore

Hell yeah, you can hook it up to a doorknob and shock the hell out of
your sister...

	Douglas

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (01/23/87)

Really-From: benz@ge-rtp.GE.COM (Chuck Benz)

In article <8701202343.AA26408@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>, Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU writes:
> Really-From: "ROSSI J.A." <rossi@nusc.ARPA>
> Does anyone really give a fuck about van Der Graaf generator, anymore

Fuck yea !  :-)

Further out on the creative curve than most of their contemporaries (which
would include Genesis, Crimso, and the like), led by a man whose (who's?)
voice is definitely unique !  (Rave off.)

What has happened to good ole Pete, anyways (Hammill) ?  I was just getting
into his and van Der Graaf's music when he came aound for the Sitting
Targets tour - 1980/1? - saw him in Cleveland at the place below the Agoura
(also saw Dave Allen of Gong there, also Nico).  Last I saw of Hammill was
his contribution to the "Music and Rythm"  collection.

If you are unaware of Hammill - he was the prime force of van Der Graaf.
He possesses a voice of amazing power.  Sheesh - I can't describe it (I've
deleted more than than half of what I've started to say about it).  His
voice often stands alone without accompaniment in some songs.  van Der
Graaf produced some very powerful songs in the "progressive" vein with
haunting sax and violin.  An aproximate description - a cross between King
Crimson (Islands thru Red) and the Velvet Underground. Maybe a dash of Roy
Harper.  Also Magma, but if you know of them, you know of van Der Graaf.

You may actually have heard a little of his works - he did some vocals on
Fripp's "Exposure".  My roommate and I once were listening to it and could
not figure out which songs featured Hammill and which featured Daryll Hall
(yes - of ... & Oates) - we only listened hard at a few points - he had
thought that Hall did most of the songs (didn't know of Hammill), and I
thought the opposite - anyone know who did what ?  Anyways - the style on
Exposure is only one face of Peter's singing mannerisms - they range from
compassion, anger, cynicism, hope, and retrospect to slight goofyness.

Recommendations: "Visions" is a good collection of his solo work (probably
out of print - I got my copy 5-6 yrs ago from a cut out bin).  I don't
know which van Der Graaf album to recommend best - try any.  "Vital" is
a double live set - hard to listen to initially, but I like it.

			njoy !..........Chuck Benz

				still at
				GE Semiconductor
				RTP, NC

				benz@ge-rtp
			     or	benz@mcnc!ge-rtp
			     or ...!mcnc!ge-rtp!benz

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (01/25/87)

Really-From: dap@cgl.ucsf.edu (David Pearlman)

> From: benz@ge-rtp.GE.COM (Chuck Benz)

> If you are unaware of [Peter]Hammill - he was the prime force of van
> Der Graaf.  He possesses a voice of amazing power.  Sheesh - I can't
> describe it (I've deleted more than than half of what I've started
> to say about it).  His voice often stands alone without
> accompaniment in some songs.  van Der Graaf produced some very
> powerful songs in the "progressive" vein with [...]

Apropos to a discussion held some time ago, Peter Hammill is
responsible for one of the saddest songs ever produced: "Through the
Looking Glass" --Mournfully beautiful with intelligent but
oh-so-depressing lyrics.

Lots of English artsy types hold Hamill/van Der Graff in high esteem.
Just check out the cover of the second Marillion album: those are
Hammill records scattered on the floor...

--
				                 David A. (DAP) Pearlman

"And all this science I don't understand
 It's just my job five days a week" -- B. Taupin