[mod.music.gaffa] Eno is

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (01/27/87)

Really-From: Robert Stanzel <apollo!rps>

IED wrongs:

>As for Eno's LPs, they are highly innovative, interesting
>and influential. They do not even begin to approach Kate's
>post-1981 work in several respects, however. Even Eno has
>said on several occasions that his lyrics (from the vocal LPs)
>were devised almost exclusively for their phonetic/rhythmic
>qualities, and that he had never put any serious
>effort into them. ...

Yow!  This is ridiculous.  Eno has also said his methods of
art include "found" methods and results; one cannot infer that
he or others should regard his lyrics or music as less worthwhile
simply because he put "less serious effort into them".

<leave factual mode, enter opinion mode>

The famous four albums, and particularly the later two ("Before and
After Science", "Taking Tiger Mountain by Strategy") are masterpieces
of fortuity and subtlety.  They are at least on the same level as Kate's
masterpiece, "The Dreaming".  And across the breadth of their work (and
Eno's is far broader than Kate's) the quality of Eno is consistently better,
more crafted and interesting.

"There's a piranha -- a piranha swimming"

Rob Stanzel             UUCP:  ...{decvax!wanginst, mit-eddie}!apollo!rps
-------

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (01/29/87)

Really-From: nessus (Doug Alan)

> And across the breadth of their work (and
> Eno's is far broader than Kate's) the quality of Eno is consistently better,
> more crafted and interesting.

> Rob Stanzel UUCP: ...{decvax!wanginst, mit-eddie}!apollo!rps

C'mon now, Rob.  This is ubsurd!  Eno's work consistently more crafted
than Kate's???  NO ONE's work is more crafted than Kate's (except
maybe Boston's, which shows that some being crafted doesn't
necessarily result in something worthwhile, but in Kate's case it
certainly does).  Some of Eno's work is almost completely UNCRAFTED,
he sets up a system and then lets it run with the tape recorder going.

Now back to opinion, personally, I think that Eno is a brilliant
producer and that some of his own work is brilliant, but much of it is
boring muzak.  His best album is "My Life in the Bush of Ghosts",
which owes just as much credit to David Byrne.

			America is waiting,

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (02/02/87)

Really-From: rosen%ji.Berkeley.EDU@berkeley.edu (Rob Rosen)

>From: nessus (Doug Alan)

>> And across the breadth of their work (and Eno's is far broader than
>> Kate's) the quality of Eno is consistently better, more crafted and
>> interesting.

>> Rob Stanzel UUCP: ...{decvax!wanginst, mit-eddie}!apollo!rps

> C'mon now, Rob.  This is ubsurd!  Eno's work consistently more
> crafted than Kate's???  NO ONE's work is more crafted than Kate's
> (except maybe Boston's, which shows that some being crafted doesn't
> necessarily result in something worthwhile, but in Kate's case it
> certainly does).  Some of Eno's work is almost completely UNCRAFTED,
> he sets up a system and then lets it run with the tape recorder
> going.

> Now back to opinion, personally, I think that Eno is a brilliant
> producer and that some of his own work is brilliant, but much of it
> is boring muzak.  His best album is "My Life in the Bush of Ghosts",
> which owes just as much credit to David Byrne.
>			|>oug

	Well, I'm willing to let large numbers of people babble over
Kate Bush, but I won't stand here and let my idol be trod upon!  Eno
is a MASTER CRAFTSMAN.  The problem with most people is that they fail
to understand the minute subtleties which define his work.  It may
sound boring to you because you can't hear the subtle changes in
timbre, or the seemingly unintentional fluttering of the master tape
on "The Final Sunset", or how the wordplay of "The Jezebel Spirit" is
contrapuntally organised such that the spoken phrases bounce off the
polyrhythmic structure of the music.  It takes a lot of careful
listening to detect this sort of craftsmanship.  The man SINGLE-
HANDEDLY introduced the rebirth of Minimalism in today's music.
	I won't bother to comment on who is more boring.  It's like saying
chocolate is much better than vanilla.

	%%Rob
--

		Rob Rosen
		Computer Systems Support Group

	rosen@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (the syntactically correct address)
	ucbvax!rosen (for people who actually LIKE source routing)