[net.sf-lovers] Eric Frank Russel & 1 question

bottom@katadn.DEC (05/13/85)

 Seeing as how Eric Frank Russell has been mentioned I thought I'd throw
in my pitch for one of his better books, Men, Martians and Machines. It's
been years since I read it but if you can find it read it.

And now the question: What other books relate to Downbelow Station? I'm just
about done with that one and find myself ready for more.

Thanks in advance......................db

kalash@ucbcad.UUCP (Joe Kalash) (05/14/85)

> And now the question: What other books relate to Downbelow Station?

According to Cherryh, all of her SF (except the Gate series) is
all releated, but you might want to try "Merchanter's Luck".

			Joe Kalash
			kalash@berkeley
			ucbvax!kalash

ndd@duke.UUCP (Ned Danieley) (05/14/85)

In article <2137@decwrl.UUCP> bottom@katadn.DEC writes:

> Seeing as how Eric Frank Russell has been mentioned I thought I'd throw
>in my pitch for one of his better books, Men, Martians and Machines. It's
>been years since I read it but if you can find it read it.

Men, Martians and Machines was recently reprinted as part of
a series of classic science fiction stories. I have forgotten
the publisher and editors, but I was very pleased to get a
hard-back copy; my paper-back version was purchased in 1965
and is very fragile. However, I was disappointed to see that
the two texts did not match; the more recent printing had been
Americanized. I clearly remember a spanner becoming a wrench;
there may be other examples. It kind of irritates me, since I
learned a lot of interesting words from books, words that I might
not have learned if everything was written in some 'standard'
American english.

Ned Danieley
duke!ndd