[mod.music.gaffa] Cocteau Twins' Treasure

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (02/05/87)

Really-From: Paul Kirsch<seismo!sjuvax!kirsch>

     Although I may be wrong, the poop I heard about Ms. Fraser's singing
on this album (as well as everything released after it, it seems) is done
in a language she made up herself.  It is supposed to just be phonetic
garbage-- it's not supposed to really make any sense.  I never did find
out why she started to do this though.

-Paul Kirsch

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (02/05/87)

Really-From: uwvax!astroatc!gtaylor@harvard.harvard.edu (Ou sont les neiges d'antan?)

> From: Paul Kirsch<seismo!sjuvax!kirsch>
> Although I may be wrong, the poop I heard about Ms. Fraser's singing
> on this album (as well as everything released after it, it seems) is
> done in a language she made up herself.

Harold Budd told me that they are, for the most part, real words-but
they are chosen for their sounds/phonemes/ability to carry the curve
of the tune rather than for their semantic content. In this respect,
they fall somewhat into the same category as the phonetic poets and
dome of Eno's stuff (the background chant for Sky Say and No One
Receiving, for example).

Interestingly, when the Japanese put out the stuff on CD, they are
reputed to have included a "lyric insert" that send Ms. Fraser into
gales of helpless laughter. Fans of deconstruction, post-structuralism
and the like are free to muse on whether the Japanese person who
"figured out" the lyrics was right or not....
--
A silence so rare/more than I can stand/sweeps like a flood
through life's flesh and blood/and steals away/with my heart.