[mod.music.gaffa] Experiment IV

KATSOURO@UMDD (Mark Katsouros) (11/11/86)

> "'Experiment IV' is the greatest single natural phenomenon in the
> history of the universe."

     Having read this, I slowly lowered the needle onto my new 12".  What I
heard was beyond description.  GO OUT AND GET EXPERIMENT IV!  Andy just may
have been right with this one.  It is absolutely incredible.  I only had time
to listen to it a couple of times last night and this morning, but I found
myself humming the damn thing (in my head, anyway) all day long, today.  The
12" also comes with a new vocal of "Wuthering Heights", and, I guess since it's
so close to "The Season" already, "December Will Be Magic Again", which Kate
first put out in 1980 on a 7".  In other words, you get three *great* songs!
I don't know how many versions of "Wuthering Heights" I now have (counting
bootlegs), but I know I could never get sick of it.  And for those of you who
have never heard "December Will Be Magic Again", it's really a *very* pretty
song.  Speaking of pretty, John Carder's photography is getting better and
better too.  I don't know if it's the unlimited studio time, or what, but
"Experiment IV" is one smooth song.  Kate has continued to amaze me.

     By the way, I'm looking for "Sat In Your Lap" sheet music.  I've looked
everywhere I can think of around here, but have only been successful in
establishing that it definitely exists.  If anyone has any ideas as to where I
might be able to find it, I'd really appreciate the help.

Mark Kat(e)souros

"We were working secretly for the Military
 Our experiment in sound was nearly ready to begin
 We only know in theory what we are doing
 Music made for pleasure, music made to thrill
 It was music we were making here until....

 They told us all they wanted was a sound that could
 Kill someone from a distance
 So we go ahead and the meters are over in the red
 It's a mistake in the making

 From the painful cries of mothers to the terrifying scream
 We recorded it and put it in to our machine....

 It could feel like falling in love, it could feel so bad
 But it could feel so good.  It could sing you to sleep-
 But that dream is your enemy
 We won't be there to be blamed
 We won't be there to snitch.  I just pray
 That someone there can hit the switch

 And the public are warned to stay off...."

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (02/10/87)

Really-From: ranjit%cory.Berkeley.EDU@BERKELEY.EDU (Ranjit Bhatnagar)

I put my brand new EP of Experiment IV reverently on the turntable.
I press "START."  Settle down and listen.  And I have to get up and
see if I accidentally tuned to a top 40 station by mistake.
Experiment IV is absolutely the worst, most insipid Bush song I've
ever heard.  Could it be a forgery?  Maybe commies are trying to
discredit Bush by distributing this junk?  The lyrics are stupid,
the rhythm boring, the melody unoriginal.  (DISCLAIMER!  Assume
the words "I think that" prefixing every inflammatory opinion!)

In a word, I'm disappointed.  I also bought the new album by XTC,
and something by Hitchcock.  I hope _they_ won't let me down.

Boom-diddy, boom-diddy, secret, boom, boom, music, diddy, boom - GAH!

	Ranjit

--
 .......(o o).......  ranjit@cory.berkeley.edu
 ---vvv---U---vvv---  ucbvax!cory!ranjit

 "Irrationality is the square root of all evil" - Douglas Hofstadter

 "Who's interfering?  We're taking over." - Capt. James Kirk

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (02/12/87)

Really-From: nessus (Doug Alan)

> From: ranjit%cory.Berkeley.EDU@BERKELEY.EDU (Ranjit Bhatnagar)

> I put my brand new EP of Experiment IV reverently on the turntable.
> I press "START."  Settle down and listen.  And I have to get up and
> see if I accidentally tuned to a top 40 station by mistake.

I really don't see how anyone who has listened to *Running Up That
Hill*, can be surprised by the level of commerciality of "Experiment
IV".  "Experiment IV" sounds *much* less commercial and performed much
worse commercially in the singles market than "Running Up That Hill",
"Hounds of Love", "Cloudbusting", etc.  How often do you hear a long
violin solo in a top-40 song?

> The lyrics are stupid, the rhythm boring, the melody unoriginal.

I think you forgot the mention the chilling story line, the subtle and
intricate texture, the hynotizing groove, and the haunting violin
combined with a suprizingly catchy melody.  As I've said before, this
song (at least the 12-inch) sounds as close to Klaus Schulze and
some Windom Hill as it does to a pop song.