[mod.music.gaffa] just the faKTs I.2.xii

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (02/13/87)

Really-From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu

>I imagine that those of you who are still awake will now endure a
>long posting or two from andrew that attempts to "clarify" his
>position.

No point. Your comments don't bear any relation at all to
anything IED has been saying recently. He regrets that any further
simplification of his points for your sake would just bore the rest
of the readers, who had no trouble understanding them the first time.

>BTW - Does anyone out there know anything about a group named
>"Deutsches-Americanishes Freudenschaft"?  I have seen a couple of their albums
>used, but have no idea what they sound like.  The song titles (in German,
>I think) look interesting, but I'm afraid that they might turn out to be
>wimpy European syntho-schlock.
>
>Ami Silberman

well, Ami, it is European, but it's sure not wimpy. By the way,
it's Deutsch-Amerikanische Freundschaft, much better known as
DAF. IED used to listen to them alot. They recorded their first two LPs
for German release only: the first (back in 1981) an independent release
called "Produkt"; the second much more polished, called "Die Kleinen
und die Boesen", or "The Small and the Evil (Ones)". The latter album
contained a studio side and a live side, although the performance and
production on both were equally precise. There were something like
twenty tracks on that one LP. Then they became better known, and
released two more LPs and several accompanying twelve-inches in
the U.K. between 1981 and 1983; those two LPs were really so much
alike stylistically that they were more like a double-LP. In sharp
contrast to the previous albums, these two had only about half as
many tracks per record, some of which went on for many minutes. There
was never more than one musical motif in any track, and each idea
was deliberately played to death.
Minimalist, rough-edged synth-pop, but
decidedly uncommercial and (to the average pop-tuned
ear) inaccessible. The lyrics continued to be in German, with one
or two cuts "sung" (more like panted, or breathlessly gasped) in
Spanish. You could call it highly industrial trance-dance music,
IED guesses.
Then the two men who constitute DAF split up for a while, and
Gabi Del Gado put out several records of his own. However, in 1986
they reformed and released a new LP with at least one matching twelve-
inch. IED has not heard these, but the chances are they are very good,
since their style never really changed much, and they were always very
consistent.

>Subject: Beatles-KB CD mixup, TWS-CD, etc
>(from Hugh Maher)
>I don't know what everyone's been talking about regarding the
>poor quality of The Whole Story CD. I got mine from Tower in San Francisco -
>a domestic EMI-America pressing, and it sounds fine! In fact, many of the
>songs sound great, and except for a bit of intial hissing on "Wuthering
> Heights,and "Wow," I can't see what the problem is. Does anyone want to give
>specific sections of songs that sound especially bad?

A fair request. IED, who has still not heard the U.S. CD himself,
would also be interested to learn more about its alleged flaws.

>Also, has anyone else out there seen the new Kate Bush interview picture disk?
>The pictures are so crappy (circa 1978?) and the quality looks sorta shoddy,
>which makes it seem like a bootleg. The pictures are somewhat original - oh
>they come from that Dutch "bondage" photo session that Kate was apparantly
>"tricked" into posing for. (at least, it looks like the same time period).

An improbably charitable way of excusing her. She could hardly have
been tricked into wrapping that cord around herself in the red leotard
shot, for instance. Must have been at least SOME free will involved!
Anyway, that was the only questionable shot taken, the rest of the
photos from that session are just par for KT cheesecake ca. 1978-79.
IED would guess that the two photos were not from the Dutch sessions,
although it's true that the blue-ish shot on one side is similar
in style. But she's wearing the dove earrings in both photos on the
picture-disk, and she did wear those during official photo sessions
for EMI at the very beginning of her success, ca. autumn '78. Keep eyes
peeled (or closed) for the follow-up picture-disc, also from "GI"
Records, described in another IED posting.

>Any signs of the domestic "Dreaming" yet? I saw a domestic "Lionheart" CD,
>of all things - what a great way to introduce potential new fans to Kate...
>(cough, cough)

IED knows what you mean, but it's still encouraging. It looks as though
they really may release domestic CDs of every LP, after all; but a
healthy cynicism is still advised.

Nice to hear from you again, Hugh, good to see you're still
keeping an eye on us and Kate.

>Subject: British Pornographic Industry Awards
>Someone has pointed out in net.music that Kate Bush has won Best
>Female singer of 1986 in the British Phonographic Industry Awards.
>(Last year she lost to Annie Lennox, but appeared to perform "Hounds
>of Love".  She won in 1978 and 1979.  The awards are total trash, by
>the way.  Last year Hewey Louis beat Talking Heads!)  Does anyone know
>if this is being broadcast in the US?  Where and when?
>
>            |>oug

Doug's posting reminded IED that although Kate performed last year,
she didn't actually WIN, contrary to IED's last posting. Oops.

On Entertainment Tonight Mary Hart announced that the BPIs
would definitely be shown "later in the month in about 100" independent
markets throughout the U.S., meaning that chances are good one of your
local stations will carry the syndicated tape, so check your
TV Guide.

About the value of the BPIs, IED is in total agreement with Doug, they're
no better than the Grammy Awards -- how else could one explain
why Kate DIDN'T win for the year in which she released Hounds of Love,
but DID win for the year when all she released was a greatest hits LP?
Obviously, the primary criterion for eligibility is number of units sold.

On the other hand, even IED would give the award to Huey Lewis
before giving it to 1986-era Talking Heads. Hell, you'd be better
off giving it to something like Air Supply or Bon Jovi than to T. Heads.
In IED's view, there has been nothing released in the past eighteen
months more reprehensible or less valuable than the last two Talking
Head LPs. God, what utterly insipid crap!

>Now that andrew has put this role-playing nonsense back in the D&D
>box where it belongs, let's get on with this business of acting like
>real people and being righteously offended by jim "shredded slime"
>hofmann's interview with the Aryan bikers.
>-- gtaylor

What role-playing nonsense?

-- Roo and Kanga, friends of Paddy, on holiday at IED's
secretary's house at the invitation of Gi and Raffles, late
of the Kentish veldt