[mod.music.gaffa] Kate, Eno, and consistency.

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (02/13/87)

Really-From: KNIGHT@MAINE (Michael Knight)

RE: IED's challenge regarding craftsmanship.

As much as this sounds like blaspamy, I have to disagree that ALL of
Kates music is HIGHLY crafted.  Remember Lionheart?  Now if you want
to qualify your challenge to refer to only her OTHER albums, and the
last two in particular (I don't count 'The Whole Story' as an album),
then I have just blown your challenge out the door, and made this
discussion of consistency and craftsmanship irrelevant.

I believe most of us can think of a few artists that we FEEL
(comprehend/grok) to have made a number of albums that are of
comparable or higher craftsmanship than Lionheart.  All HUMANS are
subject to making misstakes, including the production of 'imperfect'
albums.

Which brings me to something Doug said:

>From: nessus (Doug Alan)
>as planned ones.  But since some of Eno's work is intentionally
>largely uncrafted, it is clearly false to say that his music is
>consistently as crafted as Kate's, much less that it is consistently
>more crafted.

I guess the key word of my argument here is 'consistency'. I'm saying
that ONE of Kates albums is not as crafted as say, some of Eno's
albums. 'Before and After Science', 'Another Green World', and 'Taking
Tiger Mountain' spring to mind.  Anyway, assuming that 'Lionheart' is
Kates 'bad' album, that make her score 1 of 5, or 20 percent. Now how
many of Eno's albums and collaborations can be 'uncrafted' and still
have only 20 percent 'bad'.  I admit I can't remember all the Eno and
Eno collaborations/productions there are. I'd guess 15 or 20.  That
allows him to have quite a few 'misses' and still be in the 80 percent
good category.

I kind of think of Kate as being something like a big gun on a
battleship.  It doesn't fire very often, but nothing else even comes
close to its power.

--Mike

P.S. I think I know why we sometimes see the song 'Cloudbusting' call
'Cloudbursting'.  The spelling checker here assumes that cloudbusting is
a misspelling of cloudbursting.

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (02/13/87)

Really-From: nessus (Doug Alan)

> [Michael Knight:] I'm saying that ONE of Kates albums is not as
> crafted as say, some of Eno's albums. 'Before and After Science',
> 'Another Green World', and 'Taking Tiger Mountain' spring to mind.
> Anyway, assuming that 'Lionheart' is Kates 'bad' album, that make
> her score 1 of 5, or 20 percent. Now how many of Eno's albums and
> collaborations can be 'uncrafted' and still have only 20 percent
> 'bad'.  I admit I can't remember all the Eno and Eno
> collaborations/productions there are.  I'd guess 15 or 20.  That
> allows him to have quite a few 'misses' and still be in the 80
> percent good category.

Hold on a second now...  First of all, I never equated "crafted" with
"good" or "uncrafted" with bad.  Secondly, *Lionheart* is a fine
album.  It's just not up to the quality of her others.  I also never
said that all of Kate's albums are consistently more crafted than
Eno's.  I do believe that statement for *The Dreaming* and *Hounds of
Love*, however.  Thirdly, I'm pretty sure that IED has only been
referring to *The Dreaming* and *Hounds of Love*, since it was with
*The Dreaming* that Kate crossed the boundary from flawed genius to
God.  Also Kate has disowned *The Kick Inside* and *Lionheart* as not
being really her albums, because she wasn't allowed to produce them.
She also says *Never for Ever* is not completely hers.  The first
album she says is really hers is *The Dreaming*.  I agree.  I mean
just listening to "The Kick Inside" you can tell that it is as much
The Alan Parson Project's as it is Kate's.

			|>oug

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (02/17/87)

Really-From: KNIGHT@MAINE (Michael Knight)

Doug,

Sorry if it's been a while. I've only just started poring through the
raft of stuff which accumulated in my reader over the weekend. I though
IED was probably only refering to The Dreaming and Hounds of Love.  It
just seemed to me that if he could just discard three out of her 5 albums
then everyone else ought to be able to toss out half the albums their
favorite artists have produced when responding to his challenge. Sorry
if I dragged you into this.  I admit everything that she has had total
control over has been excellent (or better!).  Mayhaps the challenge
should be re-phrased to concern only albums that a particular artist
had total control over. I think everyone is tired of this subject any-
way. I know I am.

                                  ---Mike Knight
                                     'I've let the weirdness in.'