[mod.music.gaffa] Siouxsie & the Banshees' `Pinups' LP

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (02/17/87)

Really-From: Greg Earle <smeagol!earle@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>

Well, last weekend I heard (1/2 of) an advance promo tape for the upcoming
Siouxsie & The Banshees LP.  Someone either on L-H or in private asked (me)
about a rumor that it was all covers.  I replied that I couldn't see them
doing something like that.

Yum, this Crow tastes good.

Well, Holy Shit and all that, damned if the thing ISN'T All Covers.  The
Banshees have decided to come out with their own version of Bowie's `Pinups'
LP, namely it consists almost entirely of tunes that were Fave Raves of
theirs in their Wonderbread formative musical years (ages 1973-1976).

I have listened to only one half of it, but the concept is just too bizarre
for me to get a grasp on it yet, so I'll give a from-memory track listing:

	Side A					Side B
	------					------

	This Town Ain't Big Enough For		You're Lost, Little Girl
		The Both Of Us			[Doors]
	[Sparks, 1974]

	Through the Looking Glass		Ladytron
	[Kraftwerk, 1974 or 5]			[Roxy Music - might be wrong
						song title here but it's
						early Roxy from 1973]

	(Unknown Title)				The Passenger
	[Song from `Jungle Book']		[Iggy Pop - 1976]

	Wheels On Fire				Gun
	[Bob Dylan]				[John Cale]

	Strange Fruit				?
	[Unknown, sounds like a New Orleans	[May be one more song here]
	 Jazz funeral march - help, anyone?]

So that's it.  I'll need a few more listens to make up my mind about this,
but for now one hasto struggle with the two sided question, namely, this
either means "Wow, what a risk to take at this stage in their existance"
[Think about it - what the Hell is Geffen Records going to do with an album
like THIS?  I guarantee it's the death knell of their contract], or, on the
other hand, does it mean "Well, that's it - they've reached the end of the
line, this means creative bankruptcy, it's all over".  I would fervently
wish the former, but I dreadfully expect the latter is true ...

Oh well, it took me longer to get used to the idea that Pinups was a great
album (in its own way) then it did for Aladdin Sane ...

Anyhow, half a listen doth not an opinion make ...

Greg

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (02/18/87)

Really-From: Rich <RMRichardson.PA@Xerox.COM>

>Strange Fruit
>[Unknown, sounds like a New Orleans
> Jazz funeral march - help, anyone?]

Could this be a cover of the Billie Holliday(sp?) number of the same name?

Words something like:
Southern trees bare strange fruit
Blood on the leaves, blood at the root

Rich

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (02/18/87)

Really-From: eppstein@tom.columbia.edu (David Eppstein)

<
< Words something like:
< Southern trees bare strange fruit
< Blood on the leaves, blood at the root

I don't know about the Siouxsie version, and until the recent sequence
of messages I didn't know the following was a cover, but: this song also
appears on the UB40 Signing Off EP.

Also, can someone provide a Siouxsie discography?  I know I want (at least)
one of her CDs but I don't know which are good and which (if any) are bad...
--
David Eppstein, eppstein@cs.columbia.edu, Columbia U. Computer Science Dept.