[mod.music.gaffa] Hmmm...

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (01/30/87)

Really-From: Jeremy Bornstein <JEREMY@BROWNVM.BITNET>

Doug writes:
>But one cannot deny that the album was definitely and intentionally
>made to be much more "commercial" than any of his previous albums.

Well, Doug, couldn't he have just become interested in "constancy of
rhythm" or some such?  (I am not saying that this is the case.)

-Jeremy

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (01/30/87)

Really-From: ma179acl@sdcc3.UCSD.EDU (John Galt)

C'mon guys, get real.  Sure Peter Gabriel is a brilliant artist, (and
I don't even like the guy's music, but I do recogniize him as a
talented musician) but he's in the music business (read 'BUSINESS!!')
for the same reason that virtually all musicians are :

                TO MAKE MONEY!!!

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying that's bad. Money is a very
positive thing.  (or can be, depending on the person using it)

Some people seem to think that all these musicians are just in it for
an 'artistic outlet'.  What B.S!!  Most are in it for the money.

Larry

"Who is John Galt?" -A.R.

[Hey, dude, get real!  Many musicians are NOT in it for the money, but
because they love music and want to do something they can feel proud
of.  Peter Gabriel is one of these musicians.  Please recall that he
left Genesis because he felt that they were becoming too popular.  Is
this the action of someone who is a musician merely to make money?  No
doubt, Peter Gabriel wanted to raise some money recently, and this is
why his latest album is so commercial, but he probably wants the money
so that he can work on some expensive projects.  One of his projects
from several years back, the Womad festival, cost megbucks.  -- |>oug]

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (02/18/87)

Really-From: rosen%ji.Berkeley.EDU@Berkeley.EDU (Rob Rosen)

Doug comments...

> Please recall that he left Genesis because he felt that they were
> becoming too popular.  Is this the action of someone who is a
> musician merely to make money?

	Actually, I believe he left because of (1) conflicts with the other
members in the band, principally Tony, and (2) he was sick and tired of doing
the Lamb every night for what amounted to something like 103 shows during the
'74 - '75 tour.  It turns out that Tony Banks also fought with Steve Hackett,
which prompted Steve to leave after almost all of his contributions to ``Wind
and Wuthering'' were left off the final version of the album.  See Armando
Gallo's excellent biography ``Genesis: I Know What I Like'' for the details.

	%%Rob (former Genesis freak)
--

		Rob Rosen
		Computer Systems Support Group

	rosen@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (the syntactically correct address)
	ucbvax!rosen (for people who actually LIKE source routing)

[I have an interview on video tape with PG and he said that he left
because Genesis was becoming too popular and he didn't want to be
"chained to the spotlight".  He wanted to have free time to "grow
cabbages" rather than devoting all his time to being a superstar.
-- |>oug]

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (02/19/87)

Really-From: mhuxo!mhuxh!whuts!4611con@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU

A Small Point: 102 live "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" shows.

JD Connolly REx

{harvard|allegra|ulysses|ihnp4}!whuts!4611con