[mod.music.gaffa] Submission for mod-music-gaffa

Love-Hounds-request.UUCP@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (11/24/86)

Really-From: munnari!don@seismo.CSS.GOV (Don Lees)

From: don@munnari.oz (Don Lees)
Newsgroups: mod.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: the new wuKThering heights
Date: 24 Nov 86 10:19:26 GMT

Dear american-type folk,
	So you're all into Kate Bush.  Must buy her record, if it's in
over here and I can part with the thirteen small, flat rocks that before
Reaganism and the New Right used to be Australian Dollars.  The pope is
here...  'Stop Eeet!  Stop eeet or you vill go blind...' and it's all too
hideous.  Paul Hogan sucks.  Enjoy yourselves, suck more piss, 'CARN THE
WOODS!!

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (12/14/86)

Really-From: rpics!albany!asrcmv!rob@seismo.CSS.GOV (Robert D. Seals)

From: rob@asrcmv.UUCP (Robert D. Seals)
Newsgroups: mod.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: DK's Breakup
Date: 14 Dec 86 20:00:27 GMT

According to NME, DK's are now touring in at least Britain.

rob

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (12/29/86)

Really-From: Jan Gray <jsgray%watmath.waterloo.edu@RELAY.CS.NET>

From: jsgray@watmath.UUCP (Jan Gray)
Newsgroups: mod.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: X4
Date: 29 Dec 86 03:41:52 GMT

When I first heard Experiment IV, I immediately thought of A.C.
Clarke's "The Ultimate Melody" from _Tales of the "White Hart"_, in
which an experimenter discovers a melody so entrancing that he goes
catatonic humming it to himself.  I find this a more interesting
interpretation than the sound resonance weapon mentioned in the

Or to mangle Kate and Monty Python,
"They told us all they wanted was a joke that could kill someone"

Jan Gray    jsgray@watmath    University of Waterloo    (519) 885-5921

[NSA food: terrorist, cryptography, DES, drugs, CIA, secret, decode, foo]
[CSIS food: tuna, fiberglass coffins, supermailbox, microfiche, fuddle duddle]

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (01/27/87)

Really-From: ma179aaa%sdcc3@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu (Stephen A Bloch)

From: ma179aaa@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU (Stephen A Bloch)
Newsgroups: mod.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: the KaTastrophic state of music in our time
Date: 27 Jan 87 06:21:16 GMT

With all the names and album titles that have been offered in
response to the challenge, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Jane
Siberry, whose two albums are lyrically and musically REALLY
fascinating, possibly on a par (IED forgive me!) with Kate.

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (02/04/87)

Really-From: ncr-sd!ncrcae!wingard@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu

From: wingard@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Steve Wingard)
Newsgroups: mod.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: The Dreaming on CD
Date: 4 Feb 87 13:37:36 GMT

In article <8702030447.AA20457@csvax.caltech.edu> Love-Hounds@EDDIE.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: J. Peter Alfke <alfke@csvax.caltech.edu>
>
>Let me be the first to say that I have the compact disc of The Dreaming.
>Let me also say that its sound is MAGNIFICENT.  Absolutely crystal clear.
>One of the finest AAD discs I've ever heard.
>I played it loud.  About the beginning of "There Goes a Tenner", as the
>drum and bass notes collided in the pit of my stomach while Kate's voice
>keened through my cerebrum, I realized that I'd never really *heard* the
>album before.  During "The Dreaming" I began to have a religious
>experience.  Yow.
>So march right down to Poo Bah, corner of Walnut and Wilson in Pasadena,
>California, and give them your $16.95.
>I repeat, Yow.
>						--Peter Alfke
>						  alfke@csvax.caltech.edu
>"See the light..."

I bought it yesterday and was reading Peter's posting as I was giving
it a second listen (I didn't want any distraKTions during the first
listening, of course :-) )  I have to second everything he says.  The
sound is beautiful... the bass drum comes through especially well on
"There Goes a Tenner" and "Suspended in Gaffa", and many of the lyrics
that were a little less than clear on vinyl are much more intelligible
now.  Yow, indeed.  (Maybe soon EVERYBODY will be talking about their
"First Time"!)

For those of you with an eye for details:  EMI Records, catalog no.
CDP 7463612 (import).  Peter got a better deal than I did; I paid $20.
(But what is $3 when you're buying a masterpiece! :-)  The man at the
store said that "the rest" of Kate's albums would be on CD shortly...
but at least in terms of EMI's import CDs, the only one that seems to
be missing is Never For Ever.  I've seen The Kick Inside, Lonheart,
The Dreaming, Hounds of Love and The Whole Story on EMI imports.
Perhaps he meant EMI America... but given the comments some Love-Hounds
have made regarding the comparative quality of EMI America's CD's, I
would be interested to hear whether the domestic CD of The Dreaming
is as good when it becomes available.

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (02/11/87)

Really-From: ee161akf%sdcc18@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu (alann lopes)

From: ee161akf@sdcc18.ucsd.EDU (alann lopes)
Newsgroups: rec.music.synth,rec.music.misc,mod.music,mod.music.gaffa
Subject: electronic music show in San Diego
Date: 11 Feb 87 07:22:41 GMT

 Now in San Diego CA  on   KCR-FM (96.1 SW  99 COX) from SDSU

    Every Sunday at  8:pm

			 I T ' S

		ELECTRONIC OSCILLATIONS    w/ host alann lopes

      hear the music of

      kitaro tangerine dream yanni vangelis eddie jobson klaus
      schulze software ruichi sakamato michael garrison tomita
      sanford ponder lucia hwong kraftwerk neuronium  cybatron
      jean michele jarre patric ohearn steve roach mark shreeve
      michael shrieve tri atma peak kurt reimen clara mondshine
      nic poter ian body ian tescee david van tieghem zed zavon
      bafo banfi peter sieler deuter bernard xelotol wendy carlos
      synergy ...

      feb 22    live from  New York  an interview  with
      Private's  recording artist    Lucia Hwong

      for information  call (619) 453-7495

From: ee161akf@sdcc18.ucsd.EDU (alann lopes)
Newsgroups: rec.music.synth,rec.music.misc,mod.music,mod.music.gaffa
Subject: electronic music radio show in San Diego
Date: 11 Feb 87 13:45:50 GMT

Now in San Diego   on  KCR-FM (96.1 SW 99 COX) from SDSU

            I T ' S

  ELECTRONIC  OSCILLATIONS      w/  host    alann lopes

Every Sunday  at  8:PM

hear the music of

wendy carlos tangerine dream yanni kitaro tomita iuichi sakamoto
eddie jobson lucia hwong steve roach michael garrison software
peak bafo banfi richard burmer tri atma kreftwerk vangelis
jean michele jarre zanov neuronium peter seiler clara mondshine
mark shreeve michael shrieve klaus schulze cybotron patric o'hearn
zed mergener wisser ian tescee nic poter sanford ponder david van
tieghem kurt reiman synergy michele genest bernard xolotol william
goldstein johannes schmoeling ashra...

feb 22   live from New York  interview   with
Private's    recording artist      Lucia Hwong

for info call    619 453 7495

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (02/21/87)

Really-From: Tom Friedel <tpf%gitpyr%gatech.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>

From: tpf@gitpyr.gatech.EDU (Tom Friedel)
Newsgroups: mod.music.gaffa
Subject: joy division / FACTORY
Date: 21 Feb 87 05:57:17 GMT

Does anyone know anything about, or has anyone seen the Joy Division FACT 37
video.

... and what happened to Factory records.  I noticed New Order's "Low-life"
was on Qwest, manufactured and distributed by Warner Brothers.

                                               tom friedel