[mod.music.gaffa] so far, he's still keeping it briedf

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (03/01/87)

Really-From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu

Re Steenburgen: |>oug, how do you KNOW it isn't Kate seeing MacDowell
on the sly? She managed to keep Del a secret for a long time...

>From: Sue Trowbridge  <ins_aset%JHUNIX.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
>Subject:   Re: IED
>It is the sheer *volume* of IED's postings that has, more than
>anything else, left me staggering away from my terminal.

You think you've got it bad, just imagine how HE feels after typing
all that crap up. Of course you're right: he doesn't have to read it.

>When I make printouts of the digests, his domination of this forum
>is even more obvious, as they run for pages and pages.

He's trying to do something about that. (To be fair, though, a large part
of his old postings consist of reprints of other L-Hs' earlier comments.)

>I am confident, however, that IED's new resolution to only answer
>some of the mail from his detraKTors will do its bit to restore
>order and civility to love-hounds.

He's not confident but hopeful. OK if he answers the nice mail, too --
like yours -- once in a while, though?

>IED may be confident that I
>greatly enjoy his tidbits of KTNews, and the interviews that he
>typed in were also fascinating.  I may only remind him that
>"less *is* more."

About IED, you're probably right; but the maxim itself is suspect. Keith
Jarrett has said in criticism of the (recent) Minimalist movement in
music: "The truth, of course, is that 'Less is less'.

> <I see> IED as the "Kate-obsessed" part of Andrew Marvick's persona.

That's exaKTly right. Thank you, Sue!

>As is evidenced by his rather immodest recitation of his academic
>credentials, Mr. Marvick does have other things on his mind.

He knew it would seem immodest, but the posting which prompted it (that
he had never taken a course in art history) was just too provocative.
A minor curse of Harvard graduates is that they cannot mention their alma
mater without seeming immodest. 9 out of 10 times, he must answer, "Oh, I
went to school back east," and hope people think of Boston College.

>From: Greg Earle <smeagol!earle@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>
>Subject: The blinkered viewpoint from the U.K.
>>>Neil Calton <nbc@vd.rl.ac.uk> writes:
>>>... this isn't saying much, since there were NO very good LPs made in 1986.
>>I could not agree more.
>I could not agree less.
>-- Greg Earle

Neil said he agreed with IED on this? Thanks, Neil, join a club of one.

That's all -- twenty slim little lines. Enjoy the dIEDt.

-- Andrew

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (03/02/87)

Really-From: dap@cgl.ucsf.edu (David Pearlman)

> From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu

> IED writes:

>> As is evidenced by his rather immodest recitation of his academic
>> credentials, Mr. Marvick does have other things on his mind.

> He knew it would seem immodest, but the posting which prompted it
> (that he had never taken a course in art history) was just too
> provocative.  A minor curse of Harvard graduates is that they cannot
> mention their alma mater without seeming immodest. 9 out of 10
> times, he must answer, "Oh, I went to school back east," and hope
> people think of Boston College.

This is not a curse imparted only upon Harvard graduates. In fact,
anyone who attended a prestigious(??) school has probably felt, when
asked about their background, how do I tell him/her that I went to
_____ without making it sound like "I went to _____ and you went to
_____ (*supposedly* lesser school) and so I guess I'm just a little
bit superior (time for the superiority dance? :-) ). Of course, few
actually feel this way, but it's still easy to be self-conscious.  And
when you say "Oh, I went to school back east/up north/down under/etc."
you probably don't really want people to think of (fill in your
favorite proximate second rung school), but rather "I bet he went to
(first rate school), but doesn't want to flaunt it."

=====

To make this kosher, a musical note:

When in LA last weekend, I visited one of my favorite record stores:
Moby Disk in Canoga Park (also visited the Moby in Sherman Oaks, but
that one isn't relevant to this story...). Anyway, after waiting on
line for about 20 minutes (the cashier this day was really slow, and
for some reason the store was very busy) and paying for my stack of
finds, I quickly leafed through the used singles section. And what
should be there but a couple of singles from Kate Bush's "The Kick
Inside" (one was "Wuthering Heights", I don't recall now what the
other was). Not promo copies, but stock copies in mint condition with
picture sleaves.  $1.00 each. Unfortunately, I absolutely had to be
somewhere 5 minutes earlier, so I couldn't wait on line to buy them,
and they weren't there when I came back later. I mean, these singles
wouldn't have meant the world to me, let alone as much as, say, one of
the original Move US singles with picture sleave, but they would have
been nice to have.  C'est la vie.

--
				                 David A. (DAP) Pearlman

"And all this science I don't understand
 It's just my job five days a week" -- B. Taupin