[mod.music.gaffa] KT at BPI awards, misc

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (03/12/87)

Really-From: ganzer%trout@nosc.mil (Mark T. Ganzer)

Comments about the BPI awards:

>>From: ganzer%trout@nosc.mil (Mark T. Ganzer)
>>As mentioned previously, Kate won best British female award (they have
>>such good taste).

>IED responds:
>Hah! As happy as IED is that Kate won, it has nothing to do with good
>taste. The whole ceremony displayed the BPI's sickening, horrible,
>sycophantic tendency to pander to the U.S. market...

Of course the only reason I watched this program is probably the same
reason IED watched...to see Kate!  All awards shows are pandering to
some audience. For the BPI to pander to the American market is just
a indication that they feel that's where the money is. At least it
wasn't such a big, overblown production like the Grammy's...

>>...although
>>it appeared she might have been hitting the Kit-Kats a little much
>>recently (Could this be the results of a new album in the works?
>>Naw, probably just normal TV distortion.)

>Not distortion, Mark, sorry. Katie has definitely been cultivating
>a slight embonpoint...

Unfortunately, television can tend to make a person appear heavier
than they actually are, and would thus tend to make the plumpness
appear worse than it really is. What threw me was that it didn't
seem to be noticable in the short clip BPI had of the HoL video.
The comment about the retouching of TWS cover is interesting...

> All of this is expected to change during preparations for the
>next tour -- in other words, expect her to stay blimped up for
>about three more years. (Can this be IED writing about his IDOL?
>What gives?)

Blimping up is not too uncommon an ailment for those of us approaching
30! Does IED know something we don't about preparations for another tour?
Or is this just his best guess? I'm not going to hold my breath over
another tour, although if she does do another I will be standing in line
behind IED for plane tickets over there...

Murphy Strikes: I've been trying to FTP some of Doug's love-hound archives
and he loses the 10 days that have parts 3 & 4 of the Swales interview.
ARRRGG!!!

CD Note: Has anybody been curious about EMI America's choice for the first
Beatles release on CD? Some of these will sound great in all their monophonic
splender on CD. I anxiously await the release of "Sgt Pepper" and "Abbey Road".

For the Hard Core KT fan: "Ever since I heard my first Irish pipe music it has
been under my skin, and every time I hear the pipes, it's like someone tossing
a stone in my emotional well, sending ripples down my spine" (Comments by Kate
in KB newsletter No. 12, 1983, posted by A. Marvick). Here's a chance to hear
some Irish pipe and traditional music: many Public Radio stations are running
a program this weekend called "Tunes and Tales of Erin: A Sound Portrait Of
The Traditional Music of Ireland". Anyways, it has to be better than trying to
wade through the papers of Wilhelm Reich :-)

MarK T. Ganzer                    Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego
Internet: ganzer@trout.nosc.mil   UUCP: {ucbvax,hplabs}!sdcsvax!nosc!ganzer

-------