[mod.music.gaffa] Misk KTiana

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (03/16/87)

Really-From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu

>Unfortunately, television can tend to make a person appear heavier
>than they actually are, and would thus tend to make the plumpness
>appear worse than it really is. What threw me was that it didn't
>seem to be noticable in the short clip BPI had of the HoL video.
>The comment about the retouching of TWS cover is interesting...

Of course, we're talking about a very slight increase in chubbiness,
Mark. It's true that it's not so noticeable in the recent videos,
but it's there nonetheless. You could start calling her Kit-Katie...

>Blimping up is not too uncommon an ailment for those of us approaching
>30! Does IED know something we don't about preparations for another tour?
>Or is this just his best guess? I'm not going to hold my breath over
>another tour, although if she does do another I will be standing in line
>behind IED for plane tickets over there...

There'll be no need, since she will very probably take the show
to the States. About his prediction of no tour for three years or more,
no, IED has no inside information, just nine years' experience as
a hard-core Kate fan; and it tells him you won't see Kate on stage
until the spring of 1990 at the earliest. Reportedly, she's now working
on KBVI (or does TWS make it KBVII?), and that alone should take at least
another eighteen to twenty-four months. Then there'll be the
twelve months "needed" to do the promotional films and television
interviews for it. Then she'll need to organize huge finances
for a world tour -- she has promised that any future tour would
touch all corners of the globe. And finally she'll take a good six
months for rehearsals. This is realism, not pessimism...

>CD Note: Has anybody been curious about EMI America's choice for the first
>Beatles release on CD? Some of these will sound great in all their monophonic
>splender on CD. I anxiously await the release of "Sgt Pepper" and
>"Abbey Road".

So do a great many other people, Mark. (IED, for one, has
been kicking himself almost daily ever since he saw the
short-lived Japanese CD of Abbey Road in a New York Crazy
Eddie's in 1984 and decided to hold off
buying a copy until he owned a player.)
Not knowing how closely the Love-Hounds follow the music trade news,
IED herewith re-prints the basic info about the CD medium's most
widely and long-awaited catalogue: the Beatles CDs.
The first four LPs were released last month in their "original" mono
versions, approved -- albeit after the fact -- by George Martin, and
according to EMI, by Paul McCartney, as well. The next releases will
be Help!, Rubber Soul and Revolver, conservatively "cleaned up"
by George Martin and released in all their original
stereo/"fake stereo" splendour. They are due in late April --
probably April 24th. Then, in June, Sgt. Pepper's LHCB will appear,
coincident with its vinyl debut "twenty years ago today". In August,
expect The Beatles ("the white album") and Yellow Submarine, and
in October Abbey Road and Let It Be. Furthermore, two additional
CDs (or 2-CD sets) are planned, which will contain most (but -- alas!
-- probably not all) of the remaining thirty-odd
EMI Beatles tracks that never appeared on the official EMI LPs. The
first of these will cover the early years, and EMI has still not decided
whether to wait until the new year to release this, or to bring it
out this summer in synch with the early album releases. The second
non-LP compilation will probably not appear until early 1988.

Sunday before last The New York Times published a sensible critique
of the EMI Beatles CD project. Earlier than that --  several months
ago, actually -- a reader of Digital Audio Magazine wrote in to
suggest a design for the organization of the recordings on CD.
Suffice it to say that EMI ignored that suggestion, deciding to
put all the LPs out as individual CDs. The problem with the method
EMI chose is that the stereo versions of the first four LPs --
as well as the mono versions of the subsequent LPs -- differ,
sometimes significantly, from their CD counterparts.
Why couldn't EMI have taken a little more time, shown a bit more
care, and released BOTH versions of each of these early LPs on each CD?
There is more than room to put both mixes of each album on each
disk, since none of the early albums is more than thirty-seven minutes
long.
Also, some of the "cleaning up" of the original recordings amounts
to a doctoring of the music. As an example, Paul's harmony on the
track "If I Fell" has been overdubbed at one point, in order to
gloss over a break in his voice which is quite audible on the original
"stereo" Parlaphone recording.

>We've already got an IED, what we don't need is an IBD.
>
>b. head

What a slimy thing to say. Welcome, IBD!

> The Dreaming (CD)
>From 1982, Kate's least commercial album. The Dreaming strained the patience
>of her public with some eccentric attempts to convey the mystic wisdom of
>primitive cultures (the title track), a shrieking panic attack of a single
>(Sat In Your Lap) and an overall lapse from her customarily exquisite sense
>of melody. Three years later came Hounds Of Love, and all was forgiven.

Well, Paul, it's insensitive, but understandable. Anyway, it
IS her least commercial album. For what it's worth, IED has come to
believe that it probably is "better" than Hounds of Love...
You listening, |>oug?