[mod.music.gaffa] Misc KTrivia

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (03/17/87)

Really-From: ganzer%trout@nosc.mil (Mark T. Ganzer)

-------
>From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu

>                             ...Reportedly, she's now working
>on KBVI (or does TWS make it KBVII?), and that alone should take at least
>another eighteen to twenty-four months. Then there'll be the
>twelve months "needed" to do the promotional films and television
>interviews for it. Then she'll need to organize huge finances
>for a world tour...

And KBVI will elevate us all to another plane, replace "The Dreaming"
as the "greatest entity in all of space and time", but have only
mediocre commercial success. Then we will be back to square one.:-)
Actually, I'm not optimistic about the possibility of a world tour.
Because her music has become so much more complex since the last tour,
I think it would be extremely difficult to put together a stage performance
that would be up to her standards. As much as everybody would like to see
a tour, would we be happy seeing her perform in front of a tape machine?
Also, the interval between new albums is unbearable already.  Can we bear
the thought that the 18-24 months involved to put together a world tour
would not be spent writing new music? Right now, I'd be happy to get my
hands on more video...

>                                  ...(IED, for one, has
>been kicking himself almost daily ever since he saw the
>short-lived Japanese CD of Abbey Road in a New York Crazy
>Eddie's in 1984 and decided to hold off
>buying a copy until he owned a player.)

Alas, a co-worker offered to sell me his Japanese Abbey Road CD
for $x00 (I can't remember the exact figure). I'm not that anxious...

>Kate Bush and the Fairlight

>The Fairlight isn't just capable of instantly replaying a given
>sampled envelope (waveshape) at a different frequency: it can
>be used to modify the shape...

Apologies for this being outside the scope of this group,but can anyone
out there recommend a good _TECHNICAL_ introduction to this
technology. I'm familiar enough with A/D & D/A conversions and Fourier
transforms, but I'd like to see how its all put together...

MarK T. Ganzer                    Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego
Internet: ganzer@trout.nosc.mil   UUCP: {ucbvax,hplabs}!sdcsvax!nosc!ganzer

-------